Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was a champion plug. It's got an NGK in it now.
That's what I was figuring, sorry about that.
I think that got put in there when I misplaced a plug on one of the other ones.
Interesting :dumb:story that went with it. Got the ported 7910 out to run it and it wouldn't rev over about 9k, I was like what the heck the only thing I did on that saw was change out the oiler drive, surely I didn't mess anything up. I looked it over and finally found the plug I had misplaced, I put it somewhere special so I wouldn't loose it :laugh:.
Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 11.44.12 PM.png

That's what I was figuring, sorry about that.
I think that got put in there when I misplaced a plug on one of the other ones.
Interesting :dumb:story that went with it. Got the ported 7910 out to run it and it wouldn't rev over about 9k, I was like what the heck the only thing I did on that saw was change out the oiler drive, surely I didn't mess anything up. I looked it over and finally found the plug I had misplaced, I put it somewhere special so I wouldn't loose it :laugh:.
View attachment 681323
You put it in upside down! :buttkick:

Your gona heae about letting me cut without PPE I can see it coming. @Just a Guy that cuts wood has some pics of me falling that big ash leaner at the girl scout camp he won't post just for that reason.

It was a champion plug. It's got an NGK in it now.

Goosebumps. Champions suck. I throw them away if I ever see one.

No, 5 more to drop. Think, I may ask the wife to do it.
Hopefully she's up for it lol.
You put it in upside down! :buttkick:
Yep, in the air intake, then I must have set the filter on it. I'm guessing that before I moved the saw off the bench that I snapped the filter on o_O.
One thing I can say is you won't loose the plug if you put it there :laugh:.

well the temps are dropping fast, but im doing my part to keep the road warm thanks to all the wood Ive been scrounging.

scrounged a big black locust.. picture is with the 20" bar.

Got a bite that a guy in the area was dropping a cherry and it was a " big one". I normally approach those situations with skepticism, but I couldnt help imagining the lamp I could be making from this thing (maybe Id be like ... YES! ). I got a few surprises when I arrived : the tree was a big cherry about 45 dbh, AND it was already bucked up and cut to firewood lengths AND he was keeping it all. (!!!) The place was covered in rounds over 20". I walked away with some pieces of the base for my time, which drastically changed my lamp plans ()

Then down the road I scored two white oak, several hemlock, a couple of cherries, a big white pine, and some unidentified hardwood. the one white oak was dead and 22 dbh, the other was closer to 28 and had a couple of goodsaw logs at the butt and at least another 50' of main for the stove, plus branches. The hemlock, pine, and some oak are headed to the sawmill, the rest is headed to the wood pile. May snap some pics of those tomorrow when i get a chance.

it's been a good long day.

stay warm all, and let visions of lamps (or horsehead bookends) dance in your head while you sleep. I know I will.
db14ed09f77c73a3e0c1c988bbff0b69.jpg
9cb24e33951a2b31fc2fe832cb82a1da.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hi All, its been awhile since I posted. I started splitting the scrounging I did in April and I'm trying to ID these two logs. The first split really easy and now that it is dry it is very light.
IMG_0530.JPG IMG_0531.JPG

The second split well and is heavy like I would expect. I think it might be hard maple.
IMG_0533.JPG IMG_0532.JPG

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Jeff

I've got a fair amount of wood I plan to scrounge soon, fair amount of dead oak and elm. It's been waiting until I got an atv to access it. Ive got two creeks to cross, one I can take the atv through but the other is too steep so I'm thinking about using some 2" thick planks we had milled out of Ash. They're 14-20" wide and I'm thinking that'll support the 700 pound four wheeler and I. I don't think the dump cart will exceed that weight. You guys think that's too much weight? I've got some 3x4" oak that I get from a company here in town that I dispose their pallets. Thinking about using 4-1/2" long lag bolts to attach the beams to the bottom side of the planks, likely just 3/8" diameter. Of course there'll be pictures when all this takes place.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

It depends on how long you are making them. I would likely make some supports in the middle that hit the bottom when some weight is on them. Also, not just 2 for the wheels, go solid across the width. If you can also T some boards in the middle to prevent sag, it will help. Just deck screw to them through the planks (even just 2X4s will help).

Make sure it is solid, or don't do it.

It depends on how long you are making them. I would likely make some supports in the middle that hit the bottom when some weight is on them. Also, not just 2 for the wheels, go solid across the width. If you can also T some boards in the middle to prevent sag, it will help. Just deck screw to them through the planks (even just 2X4s will help).

What he said. One of the last things you want is to have a video of the crossing on a YouTube “Funniest Fails.”

Hi All, its been awhile since I posted. I started splitting the scrounging I did in April and I'm trying to ID these two logs. The first split really easy and now that it is dry it is very light.
View attachment 681606 View attachment 681607

The second split well and is heavy like I would expect. I think it might be hard maple.
View attachment 681608 View attachment 681609

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Jeff
Some kinda Maple and Pin Oak? Admit I know nothing about woods.

What he said. One of the last things you want is to have a video of the crossing on a YouTube “Funniest Fails.”

Cody, buy an old hay rack, camper trailer or a bus and use it for a bridge. When those planks get muddy or wet you are gonna get wet.

I should have clarified, these two creeks are at the bottom of ravines so they're nothing large. Two feet wide at the most, and the planks are around 7' in length. I'm thinking I'll run the lag bolts along with a washer from the top, through the 2" ash plank, into the 3x4 of oak. They'll be tied together somehow as well so they don't spread. I can't imagine they'd be too weak. My plan before was to use treated 2x12's along with treated 4x4's on the bottom side for strength, but I'd rather use stuff I have laying around. Pictures would be much easier to understand than my explanation. I figure I'll take some construction/cinder blocks that I have laying around, and set the planks across them and drive across them first, give them the good ol earthquake test. I'd rather just fall 8" onto flat ground. These don't need to be permanent either but should make this easier. I've been planning to clean up this area of the woods for some time now and hopefully get the chance here soon before snow falls. Hopefully my modified dump cart holds up, if not the Arctic Cat 650 should pull it regardless.

44825771_2138556546388928_1609315359523864576_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back