Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i had an idea and it led me to scrounge up a mobile fuel farm. handy! i hate to run out of gasoline when using my walk-behinds... wanted a high sided box and i added some slip in dividers... now all i gotta do is load up... and pour! :cool: no fuss, no mess... and no spills. thinking one fuel cell marked MXD mite work for me, too... when doing them long pasture line fences.... has a funnel kit, too for ez pour convenience.
View attachment 896641
View attachment 896642View attachment 896643View attachment 896644View attachment 896645
Maybe it's just me but I thought gas would eat right through those thin water bottles. I know it will eat through a red solo cup in about 5 minutes or less.

i had an idea and it led me to scrounge up a mobile fuel farm.

Maybe it's just me but I thought gas would eat right through those thin water bottles. I know it will eat through a red solo cup in about 5 minutes or less.

Or can rupture them if shaken up too much.
There are other fuel friendly containers that could be used. Not free, or cheap, but a bit more predicable.
Screen shot 2021-03-23 at 2.12.55 PM.png

The pre-mix 'TrueFuel' cans are re-used by some guys. They could be 'Free'.
Screen shot 2021-03-23 at 2.15.41 PM.png

Philbert

Well got to go help me mate, said he has a tree taken down, and his saw wont run, asked if he could borrow one. I said no I'll come over and help. Hive hin the 359 to run, nothing real big from what I got out of him, so the 562xp will get run too. My 390xp I'd feeling left out, but sure as heck ain't letting anyone else run it, so its staying at home. Hoping he doesnt act like a little jerk when I hand him the 359, it's nearly as fast as the 562xp. Over the long weekend of moving more of my mother in laws junk, i passed a store with nonethonal gas. Stopped in and filled the truck and 2 5 gallon gas cans. The old 460 gets much better mpg on it, got 11.2 mpg the first trip back and down. Havent ran the second tank out yet, it was more or less empty before I filled it up. The 562xp didnt seem to notice i filled it up with real gas. Got 2 hickory trees to pick up, and a load of walnut the cut I to rounds years ago. My wifes step dad broke out his ms 290 lol. Poor thing was anemic next to the 562xp. Think it hurt his feelings a little. Every cut he made I was half way through my 3rd cut. Have to get a new tire for my trailer then I'll go down and drag them on, either this weekend or next. Work opens back up second of april so I'll be back on 10s and 4s. The 10 day stretch is killer but I like having the 4 off in a row.

Attachments

• 1616530479161808245088223171063.jpg
    1616530479161808245088223171063.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
At the house, I'm usually using the propane, but up at the cabin I always use wood.

Mostly we have Ash and Black Cherry up there, no Apple or Hickory. We are getting more Black Birch, so I will have to try that sometime.

I have also found some Hop Hornbeam ... supposed to be very high BTUs, but I don't know how it would be for cooking.

We also have various Maple up there (Stripe, Sugar and Red), but not as common as the Ash, or Black Cherry.

I do like stripping the bark off of the Stripe Maple and using it for railings ... really hardens right up and is easy to debark.

I suppose if I get creative I could use the bark strips as lashing. Sounds like a project to do with the Grandkids!
Hophornbeam is awesome! That's also called ironwood, no? We don't have stripe maple here

Well I think spring is here (well it was, snowing today, lol) View attachment 896553Area we have been working is underwater most of the summer. Finished this area Thursday, was thawing out fast. Took excavator to upper landing to help the boss push the shop van up to the Hwy, one place had open water.

Wasn’t too bad going over but coming back forward movement stopped (when video ended) tracks spun out trying to get back up onto the ice/snow. Tried pulling myself out with the bucket, no go at first, dug some ice and snow out from in front of the tracks and made kind of a ramp and then was able to pull myself out. Sure was glad, started thinking about those pictures you see with an excavator buried and 5 other pieces of equipment stuck around it trying to get it out, lol.

Quagmire

Finished up the maple syrup run today, doubt we get more sap with the weather. 3 1/2 pints to go with the quart two weeks ago. Had to make some ribs while I was outside tending the fire. I burned three days of OWB wood to make the syrup but it's all good
maple syrup.jpgribs.jpg

Yesterday morning I awoke to the sound of a MS200T not too far away. “Probably another &^^%# maple,” I thought,” but after a shower and a cup of coffee, curiosity got the better of me and I walked across the street and down the alley and watched the tree crew from a respectful distance until one of the guys walked over.

”What kind of tree?”
”Honey locust.”
”Do the logs need a home?”
”Yup.”

It was that easy. Big tree, already have one cord split and stacked, guessing another two to go.

Attachments

• 955BF7FA-3007-4CA4-B979-5034C20BBE09.jpeg
    955BF7FA-3007-4CA4-B979-5034C20BBE09.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 22
There are other fuel friendly containers that could be used. Not free, or cheap, but a bit more predicable.
View attachment 896703

The pre-mix 'TrueFuel' cans are re-used by some guys. They could be 'Free'.
View attachment 896704

Philbert
thanks for the comments on the fuel farm plans. no doubt, water bottles thin. got to thinking and also looked up some good info on the subject online. fuel farm more so for day use only. actually, hours. prob discard each one safely after use. prevent any possible further use. no shortage of them around here. have used the system for some afternoon mowing. on private property only. convenient. plans do not include any l.t. storage or travel, etc. for such, approved containers only. interesting info out there, one link with a l.o.n.g. list of what items plastic is resistant to or not.

thanks for the comments on the fuel farm plans. no doubt, water bottles thin. got to thinking and also looked up some good info on the subject online. fuel farm more so for day use only. actually, hours. prob discard each one safely after use. prevent any possible further use. no shortage of them around here. have used the system for some afternoon mowing. on private property only. convenient. plans do not include any l.t. storage or travel, etc. for such, approved containers only. interesting info out there, one link with a l.o.n.g. list of what items plastic is resistant to or not.
FWIW my old friend used to use quart oil jugs as well as a tide laundry detergent jug for his mixed gas to fuel up his small outboard. The laundry detergent jugs were very sturdy and also have that little pouring snout so you could fill the top motor as you were driving.

I will happily lend out certain saws to certain people.

My friend TJ has my 5020 and Husky 340. He is opening up an old farmstead and has lots of small stuff to cut. I told him keep them as long as he needs and if he breaks one, bring it back and we will find him another one. He knows how to hand file so I am really not worried. I have $20 invested in the 5020 and the 340 was bought to be parted out but ended up running like a top so I keep it as a spare. If he ends up needing a larger saw for anything I have a good running McCinderblock 610 (my stumping saw) ready to go.

I am working on building a "dream team" starting lineup of Husky saws. Nobody but me will operate those unless I were to bring them to a gtg.

Latest posts

Back