Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also know of a handful of PTO incidents in my lifetime. All were life long farmers. One bad judgement or one innatentive second is all it takes....
All of the gaurds on our baler and mower are still in place. Grandpa wouldn’t have it any other way, even though he was the same guy that used to take chainbreaks off of old pioneers because “they were in the way”

So I’m not disagreeing that these are dangerous… But I’m curious as to the injury rate compared to a hydraulic splitter?
I saw a version of a screw type splitter demonstrated at the State Fair many years ago. It was attached to a skid steer, with the operator inside the cab enclosure. They were splitting large diameter rounds with it, but the operator was several feet away, and shielded.

Philbert

I saw a version of a screw type splitter demonstrated at the State Fair many years ago. It was attached to a skid steer, with the operator inside the cab enclosure. They were splitting large diameter rounds with it, but the operator was several feet away, and shielded.

Philbert

A friend has one on a mini x. Talk about slick.....use the screw like a finger to stand up several rounds and go to town.

So easy a caveman could do it 🤔

I like it when people post about scrounging too! [emoji1787]

I've never actually used chaps or pants. I do wear safety boots. I'm pretty deliberate in my movements when using a saw and hold that bugger like it's trying to get away.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

View attachment 975309
Started on another pile of tops today. Oak and hickory. I'll be pulling some of these with the tractor tomorrow cause its safer then just cutting through the pile and having something unload in a way I didn't expect. Been there prefer not to have the cuts and bruises again.
Yes I know what you mean. I liked to have lost an ear like that. Cut one branch and another one flew up and pulled my ear with it. A bloody mess I tell you. Won't do it again.

OK, Curiosity is killing the cat!
Is there a particular reason you split your pieces that small to feed your outdoor wood burner?
I've only followed the past maybe 500 pages of this.
I'm assuming all the wheelbarrow loads are going to feed your OWB? If that's correct, I have no idea what area you're heating but a smaller wheelbarrow load runs my woodstove for a couple days (1200 square feet), not multiple loads every day.

OK, Curiosity is killing the cat!
Is there a particular reason you split your pieces that small to feed your outdoor wood burner?
Ha! Yeah, I probably have been splitting smaller than necessary. The last couple of years I haven't had as much extra as I would like at the end of the season so next fall I want to be sure it's seasoned. (Not at risk of running out, burning a lot of 2-3 year old oak and locust this year.) It also allows my wife and kids to load the OWB easier if I'm not around for a day or am otherwise incapacitated.

I don't like seeing OWB's with a mountain of fresh rounds piled next to them, knowing that the wood is nowhere near seasoned. I know of guys who burn wet poplar saying that it burns longer. I think that is one reason OWB's are restricted in some townships - they smoke like crazy because of the moisture content of the wood and have gotten a bad reputation. Plus I do like the look of a neat wood stack. :yes:20220301_183042.jpg

I've only followed the past maybe 500 pages of this.
I'm assuming all the wheelbarrow loads are going to feed your OWB? If that's correct, I have no idea what area you're heating but a smaller wheelbarrow load runs my woodstove for a couple days (1200 square feet), not multiple loads every day.
Oh geez, no! I'm not burning multiple wheelbarrows per day. These loads are going from my front yard wood processing area to the wood stacks. I have 23 dump trailer loads from a local tree service that I am working my way through - and I still have a LOT of logs. Most loads are stacked, some of the bigger bummer pieces are piled on pallets for overnights, and yes, occasionally a few pieces are burned right away. For example, I have a small stack of dead pine from this year that I use to get the fire going if I let it burn down too far. I should be three years ahead or more when I'm done.

Barkbox and 3 point dogs got here today. As soon as the snow melts let the scrounging begin! Lost the muffler bolts and waiting on the bottom 2 to show up.

Attachments

• F51826C3-EE76-4ECC-B19E-5C0E71D8B13F.jpeg
    F51826C3-EE76-4ECC-B19E-5C0E71D8B13F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 77E5484F-FD3E-4067-ABAE-933D8A7613C3.jpeg
    77E5484F-FD3E-4067-ABAE-933D8A7613C3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
nice. quite the stove for a sauna!... mine is just 220-v with granite rocks on top...
I have a 220 electric in there now. I’m going to move that further over on the wall and put the wood next to it. Probably use the wood one a lot more as it’s free once installed and holds the heat much longer.

Glad to hear it goes well for you, Steve. Was beginning to wonder about your absence here. I kinda think of you as "the mayor" of the scrounging thread. Your absence didn't seem right.
Thank you. I’ll be around more now that it’s almost firewood season…believe it or not I’ve got four saws that have been in the stable for over a year that I haven’t even ran yet including the Zogger XS ported 371, a minty stock 262, a minty 242, plus a new 439. The divorce last spring put everything on hold for a bit. Amazing to think with as much as I normally cut, I need to start worrying about gas going stale in my saws lol.

It's getting into nicer weather here, so I'm not burning as much wood as I did a couple months ago. I need to spend some time splitting all the rounds I have laying around my property. Most of it is pine, but I did do a few oak removals recently...that's the best firewood we can get around here. Some of the oak rounds are so big, I'll have to use the tractor just to get them on the splitter.

Sounds like you need one of them splitters that buckin’ has sierra. And i dont mean an axe.
It's getting into nicer weather here, so I'm not burning as much wood as I did a couple months ago. I need to spend some time splitting all the rounds I have laying around my property. Most of it is pine, but I did do a few oak removals recently...that's the best firewood we can get around here. Some of the oak rounds are so big, I'll have to use the tractor just to get them on the splitter.

Barkbox and 3 point dogs got here today. As soon as the snow melts let the scrounging begin! Lost the muffler bolts and waiting on the bottom 2 to show up.
Lookin' good. I was pushing for a new 400 for my real job...just found out that I'm slated to get it, I just gotta give back one of our work saws...I hate the 441's with a passion, so I think one of the old 441s will turn into a new shiny 400 lol. IDK if that will include the wrap kit, but I have a budget for that...it will get it regardless, probably some real falling dogs and a barf box(unless I feel like making my own for the work saw.)

Latest posts

Back