Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys it's been a while. Life got busy. You all know. Just coming off over time at work. Feels like I haven't had much of a life here lately. Any way. I finally bought a little tractor. Picked up a kubota B7510. Rough shape but fully functioning and serviced. 2k hours on the dash. She's been quite the project, cosmetically. Got new tires all around. Went with the r14 design. So far I quite like them. I need to get some beet juice and fill them. Currently working to get a loader built for it. I think I have 90% of everything besides lines and hoses.
Congrats on the new ride.
Been working mine hard lately.
I couldn't roll this one over, so once I got it on its side I used the little tractor to hold it, then adjusted the big one to roll it onto the cut side. Once it was there I lifted the side that was in the hole as much as I could, then turned it on the flat so it rotated out of the hole.
Not sure what to do with it now lol.
20220329_130913.jpg20220330_115147.jpg

Cutting for a friend who had a 4 oak domino windfall across one of her nature trails, coincidentally the trail that leads to a fire pit. Anyway, the bottom tree made it to the ground, the rest are in various stages of hung, or stressed or pinched against other trees. It was quite a mess. I took both my Dolmar PS 421 for limbing enough to get into the meat of the tree. Then switched to the PS 6100 for walking the trunk back.

20220402_153412.jpg

I was able to sort out and relieve the stress on two of the trunks, but one is still hung and powerfully stressed on a standing tree. I finished up the tank on some easy cuts on this trunk that was held up off the ground and let that final one there for some additional thought, and to consider when I am less tired. Here is the 6100 in it's element: (21 seconds)

Chewing gum to filter the saw chips, and still puzzling over the trunk hung above

Finished up the Ash,
KIMG0798.JPG
Will haul to the racks when the ground is firm enough for the rig.

had help from the horsies
KIMG0797.JPG
they love munching the bark off. I left some tops out for them so they don't barge the fence to get at my brush pile.
The stump with the wedge set back on it. Kept the hinge a bit thicker at this end to counter the lean.
It went over slow, even cut a bit more after it started to go.
KIMG0792.JPG

Just brought in a wheelbarrow load myself. Not as much black locust, but rather a bunch of that shoulder wood, cherry, and red oak lol.
Saw this HVBW today when getting fuel for the Kubotas :envy:.
View attachment 978386

Iv been burning a lot of maple lately. Still can get a good 10-12 hours of it.

Iv been low on black locust for a while but may have some coming soon!

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Been off all week with the Rona. It's been kicking my butt although I was feeling good enough today to fart around in the garage. My wife came home this afternoon and announced that I needed to load up a saw and go help a friend cut some trees. I know my friend only has an electric chainsaw and normally calls me for the big stuff, I've cut more than 2 dozen trees at his place. So I figured it couldn't be much more than brush if he hadn't called. Threw the poulan 5020 in the truck along with a crapsman backup. I honestly wasn't sure how much I had in me but off we went. Another guy was there with a nice running Echo so I let him go at the first tree...jeez, he was doing all the right stuff but just doing a horrible job at it. Messy notch, back cut too high etc. Smaller tree and I just ran up and gave it a shove when it started to go the wrong way. Guy told me I can do the next one, so I did, and it went right where I wanted. I did the next 7 although only 3 were bigger than a foot across. I lay em down and a couple of us chunk it up and half a dozen guys step in and haul it all off. Felt good to do some work but I sure am tired this evening!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

20220402_182648.jpg
Got the OK on the wood in town. Noodled a whole tank on the 4910. Definitely loosening up and not bothered by the 8 pin sprocket. 20220402_184220.jpgBeen cleaning up and hauling out noodles and chips. This is the second pile I swept up.20220402_182622.jpgFirst round loaded. Probably get 3 rounds per truck load, this stuff is huge.

My luck has changed. Went to the log yard last week before the rain and found new wood dumped there. Nice stuff. Maybe the arborist doesn't use his new chipper on all jobs. Dry enough today to get in there so I spent 2 hours cutting and loading. Mostly R. Oak, Black Oak (Black Jack Oak?), Ash and Pecan. I meant to take my camera with me to show all that is there, but I was in a hurry and forgot it. I ought to be able to get 3 - 4 more loads like this if he doesn't burn it right away. Just starting out for the year so I like to limit my 'exercise' to around 2 hours until I get my stamina.

Truck hardly budged with the new shocks and only squatted about half way when I hitched up the full trailer. It drives like a truck again.

View attachment 977059View attachment 977060

Nice looking load of firewood. What brand shocks did you get for the Dodge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back