Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's the guy in your kitchen not wearing t-shirt, pajama pants, and crocs? Or is that only for running saws? :innocent:
Mormon elder who stopped by to tell me about a prophet from Sweden :happy:.
Be sure and tuck in your tie before you cut wood. I know I always do.
Always, I read that in the safety manual ;).

Haven't been on much lately due to being busy. 24 pages behind on this thread, so I'm not gonna try to catch up.

Went out to fire up my 2005 silverado last week and it wouldn't crank. Tore into it to find the #6 cylinder full of coolant so my best guess was a cracked head. Tore my heart out, but I decided it had served me well for the 8 years I had it and nearly 200,000 miles I put on it (I bought it will 44k, it died at 231k) and I wasn't going to put any money into it.

I bought that truck down in Idaho when the tranny went out on my old one. It was a good deal, although just a 2wd, I just needed a good 3/4 on truck to pull my camper for work. Never figured I would keep it as long as I did, or that it would be the best dang truck I ever owned. 231k on it when I sold it and the only thing I ever did to it was a water pump at about 180k. Tranny was starting to slip a bit, but I worked the ever living out of that truck.

Kid I sold it to drove it home after we pulled the spark plug and drained the coolant out of the cylinder.

Hard to say goodbye to a good truck.

128FCB56-7882-4FB9-8FCE-A794A1D0527C.jpeg

Haven't been on much lately due to being busy. 24 pages behind on this thread, so I'm not gonna try to catch up.

Went out to fire up my 2005 silverado last week and it wouldn't crank. Tore into it to find the #6 cylinder full of coolant so my best guess was a cracked head. Tore my heart out, but I decided it had served me well for the 8 years I had it and nearly 200,000 miles I put on it (I bought it will 44k, it died at 231k) and I wasn't going to put any money into it.

I bought that truck down in Idaho when the tranny went out on my old one. It was a good deal, although just a 2wd, I just needed a good 3/4 on truck to pull my camper for work. Never figured I would keep it as long as I did, or that it would be the best dang truck I ever owned. 231k on it when I sold it and the only thing I ever did to it was a water pump at about 180k. Tranny was starting to slip a bit, but I worked the ever living out of that truck.

Kid I sold it to drove it home after we pulled the spark plug and drained the coolant out of the cylinder.

Hard to say goodbye to a good truck.

View attachment 1048649
Bummer watching an old friend leave.
Saw a semi rolling down the road smoking like mad, guessing cracked head or head gasket.

I still cant get over that Formica :surprised3:
They don't make double-wides like they used too šŸ˜œ.
When I did a complete overhaul on the main bathroom, including drywall, I left the factory flooring in it even though I could have gotten some beautiful Brazilian flooring for free. There's something to be said for low maintenance :happy:.

Wow, close to being a terrible outcome. Zero tension on the rope.
It was a total f*** up and so close to killing the cyclist. They had the gear, big Stihl and you can see the chipper behind the truck just right of the tree. Judging from the fact the canopy had been (presumably safely) dismantled they knew what they were doing, but when it came to that stem they cut corners badly and risked lives. Which will be why the police were after them and I believe IDed them. Health and safety prosecution will have happened, someone ought to have served time for that wrecklesness. The road should have been closed/had lights controlling it and the stem should have been ringed all the way down anyway, the council wouldn't have been happy about the damage that stem would have done the highway.
As for what actually happened, I'm at a loss. The rope and the gob you can see should have had the tree fall along the pavement (sidewalk). You see the guy on the saw playing in the gob then take the saw out and walk away, then the stem goes over perpendicular to the hinge! All I can think is the tree was rotten and the hinge therefore wasn't there, or the cutter somehow cut too far and cut it. But then why he was tickling the back of the gob after having already done the back cut I don't know.

Hark at me! I've never cut a tree in my life.... Know the lingo.... But not much more šŸ˜‚

Hark at me! I've never cut a tree in my life.... Know the lingo.... But not much more šŸ˜‚
The tree had a side lean towards the rd, if the pull line/bull rope had been set up 180 degrees to(edit; whoops, mean 180 to the lean, not perpendicular) to the natural line of fall, when they pulled it it would have overcome the side lean and dropped where the hinge was aimed at if the hinge was made correctly.
Good thing those bikers were so situationally aware, I bet they didn't hear that chainsaw until they were right in front of it, maybe it was a battery saw :laughing: .

My guess the Oak you're talking about is White Oak. Could be wrong.
These deck boards are 6"X1" White Oak fence boards put up on my friends farm in 1985. Some sections of the fence were older, but most was redone in 85. She has a bunch of Texas Longhorns. The fence boards were 16' with posts every 8'. But when those cows start rubbing their butt's on the fence, sometimes they break boards. My BIL heated his house the first couple years he worked on the farm with with busted fence boards. Then I picked enough off the burn pile to use these. They were all gray. I ran them through the planer enough to get the color I wanted.
XQzGUsv.jpg

Isnā€™t recreational gas non ethanol? I donā€™t add anything to the non e and everything is clean and start right up after 5-6 months over the winter . Longest I went with one was about a year . My 64 Hawk started right up ran well ,nothing in the filter after 100 miles
I had two saws recently that were put up in the 70's with fuel in them. One was a Mac 1-40, and the other a Dolmar KMS4. I had the Mac for several years and just decided to see if it had spark, yep. Put a shot of mix in the carb and it fired right up. Put half a tank of fuel in it and it started and drew from the tank fine. Then I got the Sachs about 6 months ago. Same thing, primed it and it started. Filled the tank and it ran great. Not all of my old saws have done that. But, enough have that I'm not surprised when they do anymore.

Latest posts

Back