Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kid; another thing I would look for, and this is coming from running pretty much every brand and set up of machine in the skidsteer world, would be pilot controls. Second choice would be foot controls, but the ones set up with twin stick steering and stick controls for the bucket are a pain to operation smoothly.
I second this motion. Hand and foot controls just suck.
2 trips and trailer brakes I guess?

I'm gonna get flamed hard right now but, Imma big boy, i can take it.

HP and speed are WAAAAAY overrated. I've made money far sooner reaching my ROI sooner than others, because I made do with what I had. I've owned the 100hp ASV, sold with the company, needed less than half the HP to get the same work done, so I wasted the purchase price, and continued to hurt the ROI, every time I put diesel in it. More HP more operating costs.

I've said it before, I am lazy. But I am also not afraid and have always had the resources to go buy something I want. Even with those two attributes, its because I made informed decisons and was rational about filling the need without over compensating...... I had the RC 100 specifically to move Granite boulders on a beach I couldn't get permitted to build a concrete seawall to protrect the upland Condo. so a sloped rock revetment was all I could do, and the granite as you know, is quite heavy and had to be for a high energy beach. I rented a Cat 924 for the higher placings, but the ASV laid alot of bedding stone in graduated sizes first, and even tooled in the lower rows until I ran out of reach.

NOT MY PICTURE OR MY WORK, I'd have to search a few ext HD's find any of mine, but similiar. OTR dump trucks could get down the beach at low tide and drop rocks within 50' so an excavator wasn't "mobile" enough, I had to have all equipment off the beach at night and leavfe no stockpile in the intertidal area, being a fouor mile drive tot he beach ramp each night, I wasn't walking and excavator thaty far either.
View attachment 1050184
This is exactly why it takes my uncle and dad 2 days to do a job that should take 6 hours. Low speed operators. Yep the 310 will never wear out, but I'll be dead before they finish anything.
The pumps don't care how fast they spin, it's what your making them do that cares about the flow or lack of it, especially when your running a mulcher, flail mower, soil preparator, mill ect. The list is really exhaustive.
Ok that opens up the realm of machines that will do the job you want since you don't really need high flow.
Till he wants to use a mulcher...

Here you go, it's obvious the guy riding this whatever the heck it is is overloaded, who gets that smiley about riding something like that :rolleyes:. Then again, I guess it's better than walking!
View attachment 1050252

Judging by his smile, he sure is feeling gay about his wood.

Looks to be a serious scrounger.

Been brushing fence lines off n on for the last week. There's about 800' on hilly rocky terrain that have "woods" on the neighbors side, it's an unending battle I've waged for 20 years. I've got quite a bit brushed back clean enough to run a powered brush cutter through now, just need to scrounge one something like this
1674307535154.png
, fix it up and use it a couple times a year. It's been warm in the upper 20's and low 30's only a couple inches of snow. Honeysuckle, brambles, wild grape, buckthorn, choke cherry all the usual suspects work together to form an impenetrable mat. Let a section go for two, three years and you can't tell it's ever been done....
I don't, won't use herbicides so.........
Fiskars long handle pull lopper,
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...-pruner/92346935k/p-1493187952469-c-13242.htm1674309182741.png
really recommend this one for working brush without getting out a powered tool.
Then blade and chainsaw on a FS 130, drag and stuff the brush further back in the woods. Good winter exercise. There's a couple more dead ash in the neighbors "back forty" could get dropped across the fence line into my pasture. ;^) But temps are forecast to drop down to more normal January in Wisconsin levels.

Kid; another thing I would look for, and this is coming from running pretty much every brand and set up of machine in the skidsteer world, would be pilot controls. Second choice would be foot controls, but the ones set up with twin stick steering and stick controls for the bucket are a pain to operation smoothly.
Or like butter when you get the hang of it šŸ™‚

I have an H for pasture mowing but the 60HP skidsteer does all the other heavy work. Tooth bucket, smooth bucket, augers to 24", box rake, forks, 7' snow bucket, snow tires on rims. It's a Mustang, the yoke type control sucks. I sold off the loegering tracks long ago, lesson learned, wait for the ground to dry before running it and life is much better. Also sold the skidsteer trailer cuz everyone is your buddy when you own a skidsteer. ;^)

@
Mind blowing that there wasn't even a traffic control flagger or someone along those lines? Scary stuff indeed!

P.S. What's a gob?
A gob cut is UK slang for the face cut. A 'gob' is a mouth...for example, you might say,
'that londonneil is a right gobby sh***!' meaning mouthy git. I guess a face cut looks a bit like a mouth or smile.

Mild winter here too. I reckon 20 Jan is half way through a normal winter in terms of consumption and I'm 10-20% light

Jeez, 20+ pages behind again!

@

A gob cut is UK slang for the face cut. A 'gob' is a mouth...for example, you might say,
'that londonneil is a right gobby sh***!' meaning mouthy git. I guess a face cut looks a bit like a mouth or smile.

Mild winter here too. I reckon 20 Jan is half way through a normal winter in terms of consumption and I'm 10-20% light

Jeez, 20+ pages behind again!
20 pages behind šŸ¤” did you see cowboy?

Latest posts

Back