Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprisingly I don't have ay pics of any of my trailer loads, but I did find this one of the Chevy I just sold with a Bobcat 773 in a dump trailer and a backhoe attachment in the bed.

Thats the machine we got out of state with nice paint and low hours thats been kind of a pain.

View attachment 1050218
Poor Chevy looks a bit overloaded and ready to pull a wheeli.

Thinking of wood Consumption, I have about half a shed full, it's the big end as well so 6 to 7 cord left. I didn't fill it to max capacity this year either so I've only used about 3 cord so far this winter. Normally it's the other way around. I'll take mild winter over nasty cold and snowy ones any day of the week.

One more post on the skidsteer thing for KK and then I’m gonna try to be done 🤣

If I asked about what saw to buy for my business I’m sure I’d get a lot of different answers, ranging from a small light saw to KK telling me to go buy a STIHL 661.

And I’d probably still buy a Husky 372 and be happy with it 👍
. Can't go wrong with a 372xp

Thinking of wood Consumption, I have about half a shed full, it's the big end as well so 6 to 7 cord left. I didn't fill it to max capacity this year either so I've only used about 3 cord so far this winter. Normally it's the other way around. I'll take mild winter over nasty cold and snowy ones any day of the week.
I've used very little so far also. I've been working outside which isnt normal for here unless I'm using the forge .

I have an H for pasture mowing but the 60HP skidsteer does all the other heavy work. Tooth bucket, smooth bucket, augers to 24", box rake, forks, 7' snow bucket, snow tires on rims. It's a Mustang, the yoke type control sucks. I sold off the loggering tracks long ago, the lesson learned is no tracks, you wait for the ground to dry before running it and life is much better. Also sold the skidsteer trailer cuz everyone is your buddy when you own a skidsteer. ;^)
Everyone is your buddy when you own a tractor, a pickup and an equipment trailer. The key is don't tell them you own a trailer. Hide it if possible.

Looks to be a serious scrounger.

Been brushing fence lines off n on for the last week. There's about 800' on hilly rocky terrain that have "woods" on the neighbors side, it's an unending battle I've waged for 20 years. I've got quite a bit brushed back clean enough to run a powered brush cutter through now, just need to scrounge one something like this
View attachment 1050349
, fix it up and use it a couple times a year. It's been warm in the upper 20's and low 30's only a couple inches of snow. Honeysuckle, brambles, wild grape, buckthorn, choke cherry all the usual suspects work together to form an impenetrable mat. Let a section go for two, three years and you can't tell it's ever been done....
I don't, won't use herbicides so.........
Fiskars long handle pull lopper,
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...-pruner/92346935k/p-1493187952469-c-13242.htmView attachment 1050352
really recommend this one for working brush without getting out a powered tool.
Then blade and chainsaw on a FS 130, drag and stuff the brush further back in the woods. Good winter exercise. There's a couple more dead ash in the neighbors "back forty" could get dropped across the fence line into my pasture. ;^) But temps are forecast to drop down to more normal January in Wisconsin levels.

I have one of those fiscars, also the next size up that can be lengthened that has the blade on it as well. I see them at garage sales often, not that they are that expensive. They also carry a lifetime warranty as the x27 does :).
I see those powered walk behind brush cutters for sale now and then in my Craigslist searches, particularly when searching "Honda". I've considered buying one for a job I do mowing around overflow ponds in a neighborhood, but I just use my tractor and the brushhog instead. It's a pain to hook up the brushhog and it's a lot more to haul up there(only about 30 min), so a little walk behind would work well and would have opened up some other jobs for me in areas I can't access with the brushhog and others yet that I need to tread lightly on or are on steeper hills that I can't hit straight on with the tractor. That being said, I really don't need one at all now that I'm working a J O B, so I'll probably find one for 500 real soon lol.
Sounds like a lot of work your doing :yes:. I may run out back with a small saw and cut up a red oak branch that fell last yr. Now that I can see into the woods I always see it and look twice thinking it's a deer because it doesn't belong there. Saw 5 doe's come through this morning, but much closer to the house than where the branch is down. There's other wood to cut up back there, but I'm wanting to wait until I have enough room to put it straight into the woodshed for 2024/25 season.

Everyone is a fan of trucks, tractors and other equipment and chainsaws! He just had to debate his options is all. Lol.
Yep, that's true. Who doesn't want a tractor AND a skidsteer? I'd have one of every model if I could - wheeled, tracked, hovercraft, whatever. 👍 LOL

I have one of those fiscars, also the next size up that can be lengthened that has the blade on it as well. I see them at garage sales often, not that they are that expensive. They also carry a lifetime warranty as the x27 does :).
I see those powered walk behind brush cutters for sale now and then in my Craigslist searches, particularly when searching "Honda". I've considered buying one for a job I do mowing around overflow ponds in a neighborhood, but I just use my tractor and the brushhog instead. It's a pain to hook up the brushhog and it's a lot more to haul up there(only about 30 min), so a little walk behind would work well and would have opened up some other jobs for me in areas I can't access with the brushhog and others yet that I need to tread lightly on or are on steeper hills that I can't hit straight on with the tractor. That being said, I really don't need one at all now that I'm working a J O B, so I'll probably find one for 500 real soon lol.
Sounds like a lot of work your doing :yes:. I may run out back with a small saw and cut up a red oak branch that fell last yr. Now that I can see into the woods I always see it and look twice thinking it's a deer because it doesn't belong there. Saw 5 doe's come through this morning, but much closer to the house than where the branch is down. There's other wood to cut up back there, but I'm wanting to wait until I have enough room to put it
straight into the woodshed for 2024/25 season.
Im going to have to look into one of those pole saws slash loppers here soon. I have a honey locust that im pretty sure you identified by picture here a number of years ago that a ton of it cracked off in a storm. It was all messed up I went up with a big extension ladder and the P 41 and managed to get the huge hung up branch off of it without too much trouble. im probably the only one in history thats got into a tree with a P41 :laughing:. Anyhow its filling back it it must have needed to shrug off the dead and it put out a ton of new shoots and branches but im going to need to invest in some climbing gear and pole stuff to get a couple dangerous hanging limbs and even the tree back up.

If you buy a tractor, any style , be good to it, feel it’s pain. The lube chart is your best tool. You will also need to be patient when she’s sick. The maintenance can be difficult but you will get well used to it over time. When you buy a tractor buy it for life and add more tractors as needed.
skid steer, uniloader, excavator, track loader are all in category “tractor “.
When buying a used tractor be careful of anything thats been on the market for a while, unless it has a drawback that sheds a typical man but you know how to deal with. I have an old Mustang that will do about anything I’ve seen on here, I have fixed very few things on it,,,,,,and it cost
under $4,000.00. Just an example??
Shortage of parts availability can always be an issue. Even on new machines.I am a Machinist and can usually keep that problem in house.
I hope get one you love.

It hasn't been a cold winter here either, but it has been wet...one of my neighbors has collected about 50" of just rain for the season, not counting snow. It snowed last Monday... probably a couple feet of powder, it's sense compacted down to about a foot where there isn't tree cover, and is taking its time melting.

I actually really haven't tracked my firewood consumption...even with the snow, it doesn't get nearly as cold as back east... it's only down to 30 as I type this. Then again, it might be like yesterday where it wasn't above freezing long enough to melt any snow.

IMG_20230119_171326767.jpg

Im going to have to look into one of those pole saws slash loppers here soon. I have a honey locust that im pretty sure you identified by picture here a number of years ago that a ton of it cracked off in a storm. It was all messed up I went up with a big extension ladder and the P 41 and managed to get the huge hung up branch off of it without too much trouble. im probably the only one in history thats got into a tree with a P41 :laughing:. Anyhow its filling back it it must have needed to shrug off the dead and it put out a ton of new shoots and branches but im going to need to invest in some climbing gear and pole stuff to get a couple dangerous hanging limbs and even the tree back up.
I have had good luck with the Corona brand pile saw pruner. The saw blade is beyond sharp like super scary sharp

OH OH OH 22lb brisket I put on the smoker last night. Pulled this morning to wrap.
zzzzxsa.jpe
'morning Shooters...
:drinkingcoffee:
well, i for one... am impressed! :numberone: awesome there SA! whoever would'a thunk! offset or timed pellet smoker? wood? post oak for us for brisket. or hickory. bbq like that is on our table often. QB likes brisket, i really like ribs! beef ribs to try soon. dinos... ! packers are going for $3.48/# down here, but less at Sam's. been thinking of scrounging up some beef fat. render it. beef lard. and do my fish n chips in beef tallow. makes the best, so long as the batter is up to snuff! did some last night! local fish counter had run out of cod, so i went with some catfish fillets. melt in mouth perfect. i am a fan of the Batterfish recipe chef Jason uses in his lower-48 OR fish n chips shop. he was on Diners, Drive-in & Dives and i happened to see it listed on xFinity few months ago. tonite our fishing adventures continue... fresh, never frozen cold Atlantic cod and haddock are on tonite's menu. i really like smoked chicken, too! and of course, one of the kid's favs... salmon. use Alder for that! 👍 or just slow poach it! :heart: fresh poached salmon! ~

fish n chips done in my camp last nite! fresh homemade DIY tartar, too. delicious and melt-in-mouth perfect! ~
P1010055.JPGP1010056.JPGP1010059.JPGP1010061.JPG

Latest posts

Back