Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This commercial is fishy... I don't think I saw a single level road in the Rockies or Cascades when I rode my bicycle from CO to WA... Though the 108 miles from Lolo Pass, ID to Kamiah, ID seemed pretty flat, it in fact dropped about 4,140 feet in elevation. When was the last time you had a 100+ mile down hill ride on a bicycle? :)

P.S. That stretch runs through Lowell, ID... I remember it well as in a moment of inattention I drifted over the fog line and crashed in the rip rap... tore up my left knee and cracked some ribs. Being miles from no where I cleaned up my knee and put New Skin on the worst areas and Neosporin on the rest. Kept riding... Found advice on Web MD or some other similar site that suggested laying on the broken ribs while sleeping so they didn't move. That allowed me to sleep... my son can attest to how badly I hurt in the mornings!

View attachment 1050882
Pretty cool, well except for the crash, glad it wasn’t worse. Grew up at Woodland, north of Kamaih. You couldn’t pay me enough to ride a bike on that road, lots of blind corners and very little to no space between fog line and ditch, glad you didn’t get ran over.

KK, that skid steer looks just like the one I used to rent when I built this house (1985), except I never got one with an enclosed cab! When it rained, I got wet!

Moved lots of gravel with them, both for the drains we installed and for under the floor (the perforated pipes doubled for removing water and radon).

Often wheeled with it after I did my turn arounds.

I'm not even 3 cord in so far this year for the OWB. 10 -20 shed is well over half full.
I think I am going to bite the bullet and get a 2023 Chevy or Gmc 3500 WT. I built one online for $50,000. No frills rubber floor mat manual seats am/fm radio etc. 2 door 8' bed firewood truck. Sick of missing out on free wood deals. I doubt the dealer will give me anything on my 02 lawn ornament so I'll find a good charity to donate it. Looking for a charity that helps vets.
Wow . 50 grand for a no frills truck glad my 07 Dodge hasn’t rotted out yet .

I'm not even 3 cord in so far this year for the OWB. 10 -20 shed is well over half full.
I think I am going to bite the bullet and get a 2023 Chevy or Gmc 3500 WT. I built one online for $50,000. No frills rubber floor mat manual seats am/fm radio etc. 2 door 8' bed firewood truck. Sick of missing out on free wood deals. I doubt the dealer will give me anything on my 02 lawn ornament so I'll find a good charity to donate it. Looking for a charity that helps vets.
I'd sell you this one for half that. 38AE8BF7-40E4-42ED-BDF3-96B5E87189FE.jpegCDF1D718-BB08-4C2E-92BF-4D06C387FBD6.jpeg

Pretty cool, well except for the crash, glad it wasn’t worse. Grew up at Woodland, north of Kamaih. You couldn’t pay me enough to ride a bike on that road, lots of blind corners and very little to no space between fog line and ditch, glad you didn’t get ran over.
Me too! 🤪

This guys in the Lolo / Missoula area. Does arborist, wildland fire fighting and burn salvage cutting. Did some videos while cutting on the Lolo Peak fire a few years back...
https://www.youtube.com/@TarzanThomas

This is posted locally for $30, it’s a twenty lb box. I haven’t priced kindling before, seems high.

View attachment 1049290
View attachment 1049291
I find splitting kindling one of my less favourite jobs, although I enjoy it much more now as I like the axe I use. It is a head that @dancan sent me out the blue and was my first time hanging a head. I used a Smedberg handle and took my time and now I enjoy using it..... Plus it's a really nice tool for the job... Small enough to use one handed for a good stint but big enough to have a little oomph! I split some today and since I selected good straight logs to split it was quick work. If I could sell it at a buck fifty a lb, I'd have a few boxes for sale!

I find splitting kindling one of my less favourite jobs, although I enjoy it much more now as I like the axe I use. It is a head that @dancan sent me out the blue and was my first time hanging a head. I used a Smedberg handle and took my time and now I enjoy using it..... Plus it's a really nice tool for the job... Small enough to use one handed for a good stint but big enough to have a little oomph! I split some today and since I selected good straight logs to split it was quick work. If I could sell it at a buck fifty a lb, I'd have a few boxes for sale!
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
Hey Neil. Trying to get more pics for you but been awfully rainy/muddy here.

HVC, everyone knows, the whole universe knows 😁 .

View attachment 1050929
My BIL ordered a Grandburg to my house and a couple of ripping chains he has a couple pieces of hardwood he said although im not sure what kind. At any rate im willing to give it a shot for him hes gotten into wood working and trying to get some lumber so I guess we will see how it will turn out.

This commercial is fishy... I don't think I saw a single level road in the Rockies or Cascades when I rode my bicycle from CO to WA... Though the 108 miles from Lolo Pass, ID to Kamiah, ID seemed pretty flat, it in fact dropped about 4,140 feet in elevation. When was the last time you had a 100+ mile down hill ride on a bicycle? :)

P.S. That stretch runs through Lowell, ID... I remember it well as in a moment of inattention I drifted over the fog line and crashed in the rip rap... tore up my left knee and cracked some ribs. Being miles from no where I cleaned up my knee and put New Skin on the worst areas and Neosporin on the rest. Kept riding... Found advice on Web MD or some other similar site that suggested laying on the broken ribs while sleeping so they didn't move. That allowed me to sleep... my son can attest to how badly I hurt in the mornings!

View attachment 1050882

Sounds like around here, not a flat road in sight...
Screenshot 2023-01-22 3.57.20 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-22 3.57.44 PM.png

So I know some of you guys are wondering what kind of skid I got. Without out getting into a ten page debate again. (Witch was actually pretty fun and entertaining considering) I'll let you know what I got. I got a very low hour pre imisions machine fir a good price considering hours and the fact pre imisions are selling at a premium right now. I got the machine I could afford and that I know I can sell here on the Island for probably more than what I paid for it if I don't like it. I got the machine that I think will suit me best as a first time starting skid steer. I got a machine I feel is much faster and more mauverable than a tractor for what I intend on doing. I got the Bob Cat S175 240 hour machine that I was looking at three days ago. Yup! I stuck to my gun decks gentleman! If it works out for me it works out. If it doesn't? I'll be the first to let you guys that disagree on my decision how I like my crow prepared. I will also say Im already talking to dealers on getting a pair of high quality rubber tracks , tire chains, and possibly even some semi pneumatic tiers. My neighbor, good friend, and retired heavy equipment operator that has lots of time in a skid. Seems to feel that it will work fine fir what I want to do, so we will see. As far as rough riding? 🤔 Well, I guess its a good thing Im not a candy a**! 😉

Its a clean tight low enough hour machine that I didn't have to wonder how well it was taken care of. Or fly down to look at it first before making a decision. Witch is a big deal for me to have to do!

View attachment 1050892View attachment 1050893View attachment 1050894

cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍

Not going to lie, I'm pretty jealous. I'd really like to get a mini-excavator myself, but just not really feasible to swing that right now. I'd have regular work for it with my buddy's land-clearing biz, but I just don't want to work that much lol.

Burned a piece of highly valuable black cherry in the stove today. Cheater and used propane on a chunk of brisket today, 😁. Too lazy to drag out the big grill and tend it all day. It's on wheels... maybe if it was on tracks ... Foil wrapped some little splits of scrounged apple wood. Smoked on the grill for a couple hours, then wrapped in foil and in the oven at 250 for about 5 hours. Tasty!

Attachments

• PXL_20230122_164537570.jpg
    PXL_20230122_164537570.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back