Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like around here, not a flat road in sight...
View attachment 1050935View attachment 1050934
Yeah... that type of profile is not foreign to me! Some of the Rockies' down hills on a heavily loaded touring bike (Long Haul Trucker) were pretty exciting... I recall the speedometer hitting 45 mph... definitely too fast for the brakes! It was a much different experience from high speed down hills on road racing bicycles!

Not going to lie, I'm pretty jealous. I'd really like to get a mini-excavator myself, but just not really feasible to swing that right now. I'd have regular work for it with my buddy's land-clearing biz, but I just don't want to work that much lol.
I was debating a mini excavator to use as a mini logging shovel, but it just wouldn't work for other stuff i intend to do. Well, It would. Just way slower.

Burned a piece of highly valuable black cherry in the stove today. Cheater and used propane on a chunk of brisket today, 😁. Too lazy to drag out the big grill and tend it all day. It's on wheels... maybe if it was on tracks ... Foil wrapped some little splits of scrounged apple wood. Smoked on the grill for a couple hours, then wrapped in foil and in the oven at 250 for about 5 hours. Tasty!
You guys and the grill/smoking pics today are making me hungry, that's looking good :sweet:.
I tossed a split of HVBW into the wood stove today, I'm not sure why it's so valuable, my black locust does much better 😀.

hi JR - thot u was going to say.... 'before i got a HF $199.00 orange hyd. engine lift!' i never pulled or set an engine off a limb... chains, hook, etc. but have off an A-frame. i remember watching my Dad put in a flathead V8 for some college boys, he was in charge of supply-ROTC, at WSC... and telling me to stay back and watch. he was going to hook up the engine for these guys... and the pay was $25.00! back when gasoline had not even hit the inflated cost of 11-cents... and Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis were the biggest thing in the country... since sliced bread!

View attachment 1050797
I wish I had a hoist setup like that back then. The last motor I installed at my mother's was off a homemade tripod made from 3 trees chained together at the top. I pulled a 389 out of a 66 GTO convertible and installed a Trans Am 455HO and Turbo 400 into it. That was fun. Now if I do any work like that my tractor will come into play using the forks. I did an inboard Mercruiser 350 boat motor that way back in 2012.

I was debating a mini excavator to use as a mini logging shovel, but it just wouldn't work for other stuff i intend to do. Well, It would. Just way slower.
Id imagine if you get something up there with the cost it takes to bring it in from the states it has to have multiple functions and abilities for multiple jobs and readily easy to get parts. Id imagine anything that only is good for one thing up there either is not bought in the first place or is gotten rid of pretty quickly.

Little more cash layout too.
The one I'd like to get is 30-60k, who knows, maybe if I work enough hours I'll be able to put one in the barn for when I'm home on the weekends lol.

Last time I had to pull a motor was on my old Toyota rockcrawler...IIRC, I used the tractor, but it was a real PITA. Engine hoist couldn't even get the motor close to clearing the core support. That truck started out as an IFS truck, straight axled it with wagoneer springs in the front and chevies in the back, probably 8-10" of suspension lift.

My k20 is going to be a hassle too if I ever decide to swap motors, not the stock ride height anymore lol.
You will need to add an I beam inside a building that you can hang a chain fall on. My ceiling in my garage is 10 feet and I can pull a motor off of one of the two I beams that support the 2nd floor. I need to clean out my garage this Summer. I have three I beam trolleys to install another moving I beam onto the two already up there. The 3rd trolley will traverse on the moving beam. I've lifted Goldwings off the floor using straps and a chainfall many times using one of these beams. Over at our barn I have 12 foot ceilings. I need to rig up a chainfall on an overhead 8x8 beam in there for lifting objects instead of using the tractor. I have a new 8' bed for my pickup to install this Summer and that would make this job really easy.

You guys and the grill/smoking pics today are making me hungry, that's looking good :sweet:.
I tossed a split of HVBW into the wood stove today, I'm not sure why it's so valuable, my black locust does much better 😀.
Dang firewood hacks, burnin' HVBW and HVC....... :cry:
Y'all outta find some LVRO, or LVH, or LVP, or something to burn, and leave the HVTREES alone....lol

When we used to pull engines, we would steal (I mean borrow) the swing set from the local playground (it was heavy duty) and hook a come along to it.

No one ever complained because they knew when we put it back all the bolts were tight, and we replaced any missing ones!
Now that is funny.

I'm all for a good homemade machine, but that thing is a genuine bad idea.....
There was another video of him. He had like 5 rounds roped together and he was pulling them all up that ramp with that rope. You would think with the skills required to build that contraption that once that wheel started spinning he would have second thoughts of using it😆

There was another video of him. He had like 5 rounds roped together and he was pulling them all up that ramp with that rope. You would think with the skills required to build that contraption that once that wheel started spinning he would have second thoughts of using it😆
Screenshot_20230122-202328.png

I've seen a lot of machines that I thought were a good idea, but that ain't one of em.....
The only good use I can think of for that contraption, would be to loan to your enemies to use, in hopes of increasing your odds down the road.

I've seen a lot of machines that I thought were a good idea, but that ain't one of em.....
The only good use I can think of for that contraption, would be to loan to your enemies to use, in hopes of increasing your odds down the road.
It's one of those Darwinian machines😆 guy has money I see a bunch of kayaks and maybe a jeep liberty or patriot in the garage. I mean you would think he would just go buy a basic 25-30t model at his local retailer.

You would have thought there would have been a point in the build where he would have been like 🤔 this thing is getting quite dangerous for the amount of effort im putting into this thing. For the amount of steel and the expensive components that are in that thing he could have built one heck of a firewood processor about 2 times over.

Back