Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will have to let you know, have never had it before.
One word of advice, trim off every ounce of fat and cook it done, Bear are like hogs and can have worms. The fat will taste over powering. Once trimmed of all fat, cook it like you would a beef roast. I have cooked in a oven and I have used a crock pot. Will taste like beef except darker in color and be a little more stringy.

I've eaten bear a couple times but I've never cooked it myself. What I recall was a similarity to roast beef but greasier. Maybe that's from the grease gun ....
never had it. but i remember my Dad once, down at an OR ranch hunting...said he had some. not bad...

we got a place here in town called The Black Bear Diner.... :yes:

haven't ck'd it out... but thinking.... just mite. fare looks pretty good. not sure if bear is on the menu... lol
1695574976915.png1695574990190.png

sounds like my kinda place! 👍

1695575032290.png

In Montana you have to send the tongue of your bear to the DNR to have it tested for trichinosis. I won't eat bear meat and have shot two in Wisconsin. Just the thought gives me the shivers.
Sasq'tch shot one from across the river with his pistol couple episodes back: The Trail. skinned n gutted it... said he would mostly make jerky out of it as he prepped it fireside...

Also call MDEQ Michigan's EPA
I recall you're in MI, correct?
I'm in Pennsylvania, in Lebanon. But thanks. I'm 80 ish % sure I've contacted everyone that was reccomeneded. At this point it's just a wait and see what's going to happen.

One word of advice, trim off every ounce of fat and cook it done, Bear are like hogs and can have worms. The fat will taste over powering. Once trimmed of all fat, cook it like you would a beef roast. I have cooked in an oven and I have used a crock pot. Will taste like beef except darker in color and be a little more stringy.
That’s 110% on point! Pot roast it in a crock pot and it’s just like beef but stringy’er. That’s the only time I liked bear, my BIL down in Tennessee had a pal who made some for a pot luck.

I also had bear burgers, they were infused with jalapeños and cheddar, it was pretty good

But every time I tried to make meatloaf out of it…….

Ehhh, no

PXL_20230924_214519183.jpgPXL_20230924_215056566.jpgPXL_20230924_215105954.jpgPXL_20230924_230049742.jpgPXL_20230924_230151436.jpgIMG_20230924_194417_01.jpg
And just like that I'm done with wood. 23/24 is under the deck and this is 24/25 and 25/26 split and stacked. I even split up a couple bucket loads of kindling. Plan is to leave it out for a few weeks to dry. If it rains, I'll pull the boat over it. Not sure what I'm going to do with my time but I don't plan on scrounging till 2025 unless something marvelous falls in my lap. I guess I'll do.....other stuff!

View attachment 1115167View attachment 1115168View attachment 1115169View attachment 1115170View attachment 1115171View attachment 1115172
And just like that I'm done with wood. 23/24 is under the deck and this is 24/25 and 25/26 split and stacked. I even split up a couple bucket loads of kindling. Plan is to leave it out for a few weeks to dry. If it rains, I'll pull the boat over it. Not sure what I'm going to do with my time but I don't plan on scrounging till 2025 unless something marvelous falls in my lap. I guess I'll do.....other stuff!
You can come cut Matts 2024 firewood 🤣

My buddy has been going a few miles away and getting firewood where they are clearing the trees out between some fields. They have already made huge piles there, getting ready to burn them. Anyway, he wanted me to take my tractor there to winch tree's out of the piles, as the owner said we could have as much of the wood that we want.

SO, today we took two trailers over there, and I got started winching out whole tree's,

Resized-20230924-141607-S.jpg

then trimming off any limbs still on them,

Resized-20230924-110131-S.jpg

I then picked them up and held them over his trailer as he cut them into firewood lengths,

Resized-20230924-110543-S.jpg

I left the logs going to MY trailer in at least 20 foot lengths, and loaded them into my trailer,

Resized-20230924-120244-S.jpg

It wasn't too long, and I had a HEAVY load,

Resized-20230924-175654-S.jpg

The owner said if we saw any standing trees we wanted, to take them too and I saw this cherry, so we cut it down and I loaded it on my trailer, it will be headed to my BSM,

Resized-20230924-175737-S.jpg

Anyway, that's it for today,

SR

Get one of these for dressing, Diamond Stone Dresser, Diamond Coated Grinding Disc Wheel Stone Dresser Correct Tool Dressing Bench Grinder 45 x 100mm https://a.co/d/cCvmd5H
Ordered, thanks
Then I had to leave for a bit, the second session was a bit later in the afternoon, cleaned up the bottom 18' of a nice sized black locust. Got the area all graded out nice for now and scored two rocks over 2' each when I dug the stump out. I'll probably trash the area a bit when I pull the locust top out and more of the debris in there, but at least it will have some time to settle into the stump hole before refinishing the grade.
View attachment 1115011
And proof there was at least one partial bucket of firewood cut.
View attachment 1115012
Get that back tire on the ground. LOL

Good morning. Several inches of rain here over the weekend. We definitely needed it.

We've been in a drought for several years. Only light showers or traces since last spring. Way behind for the year. Forecast looks good though Tues, Wed. Thur. reads RAIN. I haven't seen that for at least 6 months.

Latest posts

Back