Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening everyone,

Been awhile but I haven't forgot about anyone. Between caring for my wife and I have went back to college to get my degree in product development for CAD design and engineering. The hope is when my wife's health declines I will be able to work from home to care for her needs. The classes I'm taking have taken most of my time as of late. I routinely am up till very late with school work. I thankfully have this week off and three weeks left of this semester. I was able to do some repairs this afternoon on my truck to hopefully get it ready for some firewood. I have not forgotten about anyone most of all my dear friend @Brufab hoping some of my classes in the future are less time consuming. I will try to keep posting as time allows and I'm looking forward to December 11 when classes are ending. Hope everyone is doing great miss you all.

I love cooking and love learning to cook new things. Not sure if I would love it if I had to do it every day especially running the business!

I have thought about cooking as a retirement job...that way I could do what I liked without having to deal with the business end.
I think one of the greatest compliments in life is when someone grabs seconds on a dish you put time and effort into from the kitchen.

My father raised my two sisters and I by himself until he passed suddenly years back. I have such vivid memories watching Letterman, then Emeril on our summers off and he would “experiment” with dishes and recipes after. One of the best cooks I know but again, I am most likely biased.

All of your creations look wonderful.

Good evening everyone,

Been awhile but I haven't forgot about anyone. Between caring for my wife and I have went back to college to get my degree in product development for CAD design and engineering. The hope is when my wife's health declines I will be able to work from home to care for her needs. The classes I'm taking have taken most of my time as of late. I routinely am up till very late with school work. I thankfully have this week off and three weeks left of this semester. I was able to do some repairs this afternoon on my truck to hopefully get it ready for some firewood. I have not forgotten about anyone most of all my dear friend @Brufab hoping some of my classes in the future are less time consuming. I will try to keep posting as time allows and I'm looking forward to December 11 when classes are ending. Hope everyone is doing great miss you all.
So sorry to hear about your wife and declining health. Prayers sent your way.

As a current educator myself and having gone through my junior year of college where I lost my father, sister, and close first cousin all in one calendar year, accommodations could be made. Extended time for assisgnments, exemptions, etc. If you feel the need, reach out to your department head or chair and let them know your situation. I’m sure they would work with you.

So sorry to hear about your wife and declining health. Prayers sent your way.

As a current educator myself and having gone through my junior year of college where I lost my father, sister, and close first cousin all in one calendar year, accommodations could be made. Extended time for assisgnments, exemptions, etc. If you feel the need, reach out to your department head or chair and let them know your situation. I’m sure they would work with you.
Thank you kindly. So far I have been able to meet the requirements of my classes. I have standing As in both. As a result though the time I would normally have for freetime is going toward completing assignments. My wife usually heads to bed around 7 so I have into the evening to get my assignments done. Looking forward to the end of classes for the semester to hopefully get the splitter out to spend some time with my son.

12x24 you'll need a wood stove to get after it quick on cold mornings. Don't have that option this year in a 10x10 space. Staying above 45°F is important. 15-30°F climb isn't much to make up in an insulated area with a low ceiling.
Not really, I plan on keeping that area just below room temp yr round. I already have 1.5" of foil faced polyiso for the outside walls and then I'll put at least another 1/2" on them once I start working on the inside, and I'll build walls and fill those with whatever the cavities will take. Only two of the 4 walls will be on the exterior of the building and the ceiling in there is only 8'. That main is much larger at 32x48 with 12' sidewalls, that's where I may want the wood stove.
It's the section to the left of the door.
Screen Shot 2023-11-18 at 9.20.37 AM.png
Here it is with the wainscoting on the shop side. Hope to have the rest of the insulation on both sides and to get the siding on both sides by the end of next weekend, but well see as it's been real busy.
Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 8.24.12 PM.png
For those who haven't seen it in a bit.
Here's the other side.Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 8.27.42 PM.png
And the gable. The other gable end I just got all the trim around the bay doors and the rat guard installed, so it's ready for insulation and wainscoting.
Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 8.27.27 PM.png

I have less AR's than saws, but I have parts to build at least 6 more. :innocent:
I don't think I have that many spares. But, much like every now and then I find a saw I don't remember where it came from, the other day I found so parts kits I forgot I had :happy:.
Ive been watching for a deal on a nice 22, something set up with a scope already, let someone else build it up and take a loss... I nearly bought another savage, this time in 22mag. I was too busy and couldn't break for the 3hrs it would have taken to get it, it was down to 200 with a scope, 2 10rd mags, and a 5rd mag(all the mags also would have worked in my .17HMR :rare2:. Oh well, I'll find one soon enough, the ole tube fed units will have to work for now is all.

Good evening everyone,

Good evening Vince.
Hope you guys had a great thanksgiving.

I'm not bothering with the woodstove in my tiny space with no constant heat. Finding that drip feed heater was a win combined with a small diesel heater looks very simple to me. One exhaust with two burners.
My old buddy used to have a 5gal bucket for used oil he had hung on the wall behind the stove. He had a barrel stove in his shop and used a small copper line from the barrel to the bucket and a little pitcock type valve to control the flow. You could put one large round in the stove and start the oil dripping and it would burn all night. Feed it enough oil and air and it would sound like a rocket taking off.

Good evening Vince.
Hope you guys had a great thanksgiving.
Thank you Brett. Yes wasn't to crazy we just went to my SILs for dinner but it was informal everyone had sweatpants on and just hung out watching movies. It was well needed after classes. I'm going to try and get Christmas lights up tomorrow before classes resume. I've been burning here as I managed to get the chimney cleaned out. Here in early December I hope to get the rounds I have here split and stacked to get ready for the severe cold. Hope all you guys are doing well.

I can neither confirm nor deny that there is legal and there is only illegal if you get caught. At ease, carry on, smoke em if you got em.
I have the 1976 model of the same rifle. Its 100% legal and has more than enough knockdown power for even a large hog. I carry a 22mag revolver and a big knife for hog hunting. Of course I hunt with dogs so I dont need a long range gun.

That's awesome. I don't think I get that out of mine.
What size firebox is yours, medium or large.
3.0 cubic feet.

Not sure what size that is considered. That’s the advertised cubic foot anyways, I’ve never actually measured myself which I’m sure it’s actually different..

Now iv got to do it.

Stand by. Iv got a full 3D assembly of my stove in SolidWorks.:sweet:

3.0 cubic feet.

Not sure what size that is considered. That’s the advertised cubic foot anyways, I’ve never actually measured myself which I’m sure it’s actually different..

Now iv got to do it.

Stand by. Iv got a full 3D assembly of my stove in SolidWorks.:sweet:
Nice to hear another digital sculpter in the site. I use Seimens NX for work and sometimes onshape.

Latest posts

Back