Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My BIL is a "Great" shot. In IL it's shotgun slugs only (until this year). He only picks up a gun once a year; no target practice. He's managed to shoot the nose off a deer, one in the butt, blew the leg off another. He'll take shots at running deer, too, slinging lead everywhere. His son takes after him. Shot one in the back. When we cleaned it found the slug had traveled up along the spine.
Sounds like a fairly normal BIL.....

Well Gents! It might not be Miller time, but it's definitely Mill'n time!
Most definitely the biggest OVERLOAD of green Spruce the trailer has hauled yet.
View attachment 1130359
View attachment 1130360

You ain't t loaded. Until your OVERLOADED!
View attachment 1130361

This saw mill has been on Kodiak since WW2
Not the mill site. The actual sawmill!
View attachment 1130362

After the Sawyer picked the top three logs. I dumped the rest for him.
View attachment 1130363View attachment 1130364

Cut safe, stay sharp and be aware! 👍
Cannot understand how that loader works
Where is the engine or is it electric. There seems to be no counterbalance weight to stop the thing tipping over forwards with a heavy log

My little folding H&R 410. A custom Mosin that I made with welded scope mounts, bolt handle moved to the rear of the bolt. The barrel is 16" long with a built in muzzle brake by cross drilling the barrel and counter boring the last 3 inches. Lastly, just a few toys.
There are so many bolts in that last pic you could open a hardware store. :surprised3:

I've shot the antlers off once. Buckshot at twenty feet isn't very forgiving or has much spread. Cleaned all the grey and pink mist right out of there.
No meat wasted.
I hit a doe square in the nose straight on at 40 feet years ago up on our hill. The doe was behind a bunch of saplings sniffing the air. I really had no open shots until she swung her head around out in the open towards me. She looked like a peeled banana and no wasted meat. My wife did not approve of that shot when she saw it.

I finally got rid of my original split wood pile. 31 cord later and that pile is cleaned up along with over half of the bucked up pile. I feel pretty good now and scraped the ground to get rid of all the bark. The original split pile started right at the edge of the split wood on the ground.

Attachments

• 20231126_162953.jpg
    20231126_162953.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
My BIL is a "Great" shot. In IL it's shotgun slugs only (until this year). He only picks up a gun once a year; no target practice. He's managed to shoot the nose off a deer, one in the butt, blew the leg off another. He'll take shots at running deer, too, slinging lead everywhere. His son takes after him. Shot one in the back. When we cleaned it found the slug had traveled up along the spine.
Forgot to mention one (two). He shot two deer with one shot. That would be pretty good if you were duck hunting, but one deer was a little deer. It was standing behind the doe. Maybe that was an honest mistake. But I would think at some point during their approach, there would be some separation between them. Enough to notice there were two deer.

I hit a doe square in the nose straight on at 40 feet years ago up on our hill. The doe was behind a bunch of saplings sniffing the air. I really had no open shots until she swung her head around out in the open towards me. She looked like a peeled banana and no wasted meat. My wife did not approve of that shot when she saw it.
I only make three shots. Always looking for forward vitals, lower neck or straight through the temple quick and clean. No point in making the animals suffer.

Hey guys. Thanksgiving with me and the kids here today. Everything except the turkey and mashed potatoes were cooked in cast-iron. I’d love a cast-iron turkey roaster but a good vintage one is usually about $800. My dishwasher has been broken for a while and we are awaiting parts so I’ve been doing a lot of handwashing today lol.

After everything was done I cooked up the carcass to make stock and now that is strained and cooling.

IMG_4964.jpegIMG_4965.jpegIMG_4970.jpegIMG_4971.jpegIMG_4969.jpegIMG_4968.jpegIMG_4963.jpegIMG_4958.jpegIMG_4959.jpegIMG_4974.jpeg

Hey guys. Thanksgiving with me and the kids here today. Everything except the turkey and mashed potatoes were cooked in cast-iron. I’d love a cast-iron turkey roaster but a good vintage one is usually about $800. My dishwasher has been broken for a while and we are awaiting parts so I’ve been doing a lot of handwashing today lol.

After everything was done I cooked up the carcass to make stock and now that is strained and cooling.

View attachment 1130778View attachment 1130779View attachment 1130780View attachment 1130781View attachment 1130782View attachment 1130783View attachment 1130784View attachment 1130785View attachment 1130786View attachment 1130788
I've done that in the past with the carcass, but when used in soup, etc. it's too greasy for my stomach to handle. I've even chilled and scraped off the top grease. Now I use 50/50 turkey stock and store bought broth.

I just looked it up, that's the large, I have the medium (2.1 advertised lol). While it won't hold as much, it does a great job heating out place/not overheating it in the shoulder season. I like to leave the AC window units in place until we get full on into the heating season, I probably could have taken them out for last night lol.
Yah reality check lately with the temps. And now snow today.

Y

It can be really fun and useful. have a job designing on solid works right now. On a laptop I can being home and play with:D
Yes having CAD skills is great to have. I have fusion360 at home and some other ones as well but I mainly use NX because we have the subscription at work. I designed the second chicken run I built in CAD and it's nice to visualize what your putting together.

Yes having CAD skills is great to have. I have fusion360 at home and some other ones as well but I mainly use NX because we have the subscription at work. I designed the second chicken run I built in CAD and it's nice to visualize what your putting together.
My dad designed a band sawmill with CAD back in the early 2000s, pretty amazing to see how something is going to work before it's even built.

Right, just gotta get my insurance first lol.
Saw this too, funny ad.
Never seen one of these before.

https://grandrapids.craigslist.org/grd/d/grand-rapids-log-roller-roll-your-own/7688251729.html
View attachment 1130293
With the lack of newspapers being purchased, and the very skimpy papers that are, you'd be hard pressed to find enough to keep a fire going all winter. I supply newspapers to several people for use as fire starters... they aren't broadsheets either, they are tabloid size. If it wasn't for that use I'd have gone full digital on that paper as I have on the two others to which I subscribe.

Latest posts

Back