Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard of that overcharging thang before, still sounds flat out stupid to me. So is it a computer or the battery ? My battery talks to my computer constantly,, unless they aren't speaking.
It's the computer. The ecm learns how many amps it take to keep a battery at a certain voltage. There's also a current sensor that almost all vehicles have now that the computer uses to measure the flow of amps in and out of the battery. This allows it to charge at the bare minimum for the best fuel economy. So what happens is when the battery is changed on some makes without letting the ecm know is it will overcharge the new battery. Old batteries are more resistant to charging than new batteries so the battery will run hot with the excessive amperage. This is more a problem with the AGM batteries in most new vehicles. This is only true with some makes, others just use the measured voltage to base the charge rate on, which makes sense to me.

Is that about resetting everything ? Oil life, key fobs, idle info, who knows what else ?
I like my old trucks/cars move one battery around and go . No sense having batteries in all 9 . The more advanced the vehicle the more I don’t like it

Later cases had an update to 6 bolts (2016 I think) the "programming" was a revolving door of updates as well as the ignition moduel a few times and a pile of different carbs. In 2020 (may have been 21 or 22 cant remember exactly) There was a nice air filter update, much better imo then the old style filter. Husqy even offered a retrofit kit for older style saws. Fuel lines were updated a few times as well as the bearings, and the hole in the top cover. (Which was easy to do in the old style cover.)
They have two distinctly different air filters, one looks quite nicer done…

If I have more questions when I dive into the 562’s I’ll send you a message

Thanks for the insight

Kind of surprised you are not interested in that 261,

The last 2 times you have used mine your comments were very positive, plus your Nephew Chris (a Husky guy) loves his!

I know, I know….

But it’s the wrong color 🤣

What happens if I keep it, fall in love with it and then what??
What do I tell my Husky’s?? Sorry, Daddy doesn’t love you anymore??

Nahhh, it’s better to kick it out the house early and stay loyal to my brand

I know, I know….

Exactly the same thing I did with my 254xp!

I know, I know….

I'm just a fan of saws, and loyal to no brand. I do have a few more husqy then stihl. Having said that, the 261 is a great little saw. I'd argue I like it better then my 346xp, but less then my 026. (Which resides at my dad's house.) Give it a chance....

It’s usually not that way but I try , Lol 😆
When I worked in a service shop we kept the tools well organized for efficiency... You knew exactly where a tool was at all times. All these years later I can put my hands on the tools in my shop instantly... no hunting. Last Christmas I bought both my sons rolling tool chests. Shortly there after they each bought another one... They figured out it made sense to keep things organized!

046s usually do not have limiters on the carb but check to make sure. If you modify the muffler, you will likely want the Hi to be 1+1/8 to 1+1/4 turn out. Err on the rich side and know how to tune a carb. If it turns that far out, you do not have limiters!

For 046/460s I often just drill 2 - 1/4" holes in the top right of the muffler cover (mark where the exhaust will not directly hit the saw). Drill as close to the seam as possible. Remove the cover before you drill and clean all filing before putting it back on.

That and adjusting the carb (richer) will give you noticeably more power. (And your saw will run cooler and last longer). Just make sure you run good oil and mix as you will put more stress on your bearings (I like Amsoil Saber at 40:1).

If you want to go further and do a timing advance, you have to pull the flywheel and file the top part of the key (the right side). .020 will usually give you about 5-6* additional advance. (search videos on how to do it). This makes more difference on some saws than others.

Next step (W/O porting) is to check your squish. Pull the plug, insert some soft - thin solder on the side (in the squish band) and pull the saw over several times, then measure the solder. .020 squish is considered ideal. If your squish is too thick, you can improve it by .015 to .020 by pulling the base gasket. You will then have to "glue" the cylinder down after thoroughly cleaning both surfaces.

I did these things to my 10mm 044 and it runs stronger than many fully ported 044/440s. Your results will depend on your cylinder's porting from the factory.

I have built many 044/440s and 046/460s using these methods to make saws that run notably stronger than stock. The next phase is learning porting, and I suggest you buy one or more Asian cylinders to learn on if you do that. You can do some mods to intake and exhaust ports with just files. (I have even used round chain files in the corners).
I did the muffler mod and re tune to Mike's instructions and it really woke up my ms460. I didn't bother with timing or squish because I'm happy with how it runs.

When I worked in a service shop we kept the tools well organized for efficiency... You knew exactly where a tool was at all times. All these years later I can put my hands on the tools in my shop instantly... no hunting. Last Christmas I bought both my sons rolling tool chests. Shortly there after they each bought another one... They figured out it made sense to keep things organized!
Nice 👍

Latest posts

Back