Seeking help with choosing new Stihl saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV Wood Burner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been lurking and reading posts for quite some time and had decided that the 361 was the saw needed for working up my annual supply of firewood for the OWB. I have not had a saw in good working order for some time, but that has not stopped my father-in-law from cutting our wood in addition to his supply for his fireplace insert.:clap: :bowdown:

Next winter's supply has already started coming in and it is time to find the right saw and do my share of cutting, bucking, splitting, and stacking. Father-in-law's most recent delivery has caused me to reconsider the 361. I believe that the large pieces are referred to as rounds, and I have read some members recommend that the method to use in preparing them for splitting is to quarter them while on edge as they are in the picture (off the trailer of course!).

attachment.php

The rounds are approximately 24" to 26", so I am thinking that a 28 inch bar would be best to make short work of them. Granted, these pieces do not come in everyday, but you can't be too picky about the size of your free wood!:)

The 441 obviously comes to mind, but the 460 might also be worth considering. A 650 or beyond would seem to be more than what is needed to handle the occasional big round or two.

The Stihl dealer had what appeared to be a well-used (paint worn off, plastic side panel cracked with hole) 440 come in on a trade yesterday or the day before, but I do not want to worry with a well-used saw needing extra maintenance. I am looking for a saw that, if treated properly, will be reliable for many years to come. He has not yet broken it down and so could not quote a price. Although I am leaning against a used saw, I might consider it based upon the praise I've seen here for the 440. Any suggestions on what might be a reasonable price given the risk of a used saw?

What do you think? 361, 441, 460 or well-used 440? :chainsaw:

Also, I believe my father-in-law has a 026 or 028, and he uses only a 16 inch bar. If I were to go with two bars, what would you recommend to compliment his 16 inch?

Chain?

Thank you for your help with this post and for all of the help you have given others!:clap:

P.S. Anyone care to guess how much wood is here in terms of cords?

Most of my cutting, even for the 26" stuff is with an old 038AV Magnum Stihl. I use an 18" bar with square chisel chain. No complaints. Most of my cutting this year has been under 12" deseret juniper, cedar. Used one blade all season last year on pondeosa pine, engleman spruce, white pine and fir. I will use several blades and bars this year on the cedar.

Buy the saw and blade/bar for what your majority of cutting will be.

Good luck.

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

I cut that kind of stuff here with a 361. The rounds are actually easy to cut, as you are making curly fries, and that is the easiest cut to make in lumber. With the grain. A 24 inch bar on a 361 will cut that stuff just fine.

The main problem I have had with the 440 and the 460 is the vibration. They are more powerful saws, but they have a lot more shake when using them. That causes fatugue, white finger, and aggrivates arthritis and tendonitis. Now, they will cut faster, and they will drive a longer bar, if that is what you want to run. They are both good saws, and I have owned both at one time or other. Actually all of these are good saws. I would avoid the used 440 as you do not know how it was operated, or cared for. Used Stihl saws do not merit the high prices that they fetch. New ones are far better in my view, unless you know the owner and how it was run.

I also see a pile of logs on the right there, and that is probably more typically what you will be cutting longer term. Looks like all you would need for that pile is an 18 inch bar at most. Maybe even a 16 inch. So my advice would be to get the 361, with a 24 inch B&C and a 20 or 18 inch B&C. A 16 inch on a 361 is a waste in my experience (I have one). For the price of a 441, you can get a 361 with a pair of bars and chains, and also a set of chaps and eyes and ears. And maybe have enough left over for a case of beer to boot. And you will have a pro saw setup that will last a lifetime of cutting firewood.

On the trailer is probably 1 cord give or take a few sticks. I base that on the trailer being 5x8 and you would need the height to be 3 ft to be just under 1 cord if that trailer was stacked tight.

Off the trailer looks to be about another cord. Nice looking wood by the way. How many cords per year do you go through?

Buy the 361 and get the bars like windthrown recommends. Unless those rounds are coming in all the time.

Welcome to the site. I agree with what windthrown said. I have both the 361 and 440 saws with 20" ES bars and chisel chain. Ya cant go wrong with either one. I would try for a new saw also, never know how spent the used one is.

That looks like some nice white oak you got there. If I am cutting big stuff, I grab a big saw. But when I can I will grab an 026 for limbing and smaller stuff. Less fatigue = safer cutting.:)

More wood and more pics!

Thanks for your replies!

Aandabooks, I believe that I might go through 6-10 cord a year depending on the temperature and when I start to burn.

Here is the pile after the rounds were unloaded and another delivery or two received.

attachment.php

attachment.php

What about the chain? Should I run skip on the 361 with a 24 inch bar? Anyone concerned that the 361 will not be enough?

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Are you stuck on Stihl? There are some other excellent pro quality brands out there if you're flexible.

I had a 361 and used an 18" bar w/ full comp round chisel for the normal stuff and a 24" bar w/ skip chain for that occasional big round. The only time I used the 24"er was on a 24x28 cherry log I scrounged from a construction site. It did well enough for occasional use but was no powerhouse. In 18" and under hardwood it did great which is what it looks like you will mostly be in.

IMO, a 24" bar buried in hardwood is the realm of the 70+cc saw. Admittedly tho, I'm a bit of a power fiend. If you're not in a hurry, the 361 will do it fine.

Ian

Are you stuck on Stihl? There are some other excellent pro quality brands out there if you're flexible.

I am familiar with Stihl so that is the direction I have been going. The local dealer is spoken highly of and does repairs in house. There is a Husqvarna dealer nearby too, but I am not sure if they do repairs. Although I am more interested in choosing between the Stihl models for the work I have to do, I would look at Husqvarna suggestions for comparison.

Well, the Husky 357xp is the approximate equal to the Stihl 361 but there's not enough difference between them to argue one over the other and I think they're priced comparably.

If you go larger than that, then the Husky 372xp (if you can find one) is a great saw that will run a 24" bar much better than the 361 and doesn't have the vibration of the 440 or 460 that Windthrown was talking about. I've never run either of them so I can't compare personally. I do know my 372 is smooth.

The Jonsereds 2171 is almost identical to the 372xp except for a handle angle difference, also will run a 24" bar with authority.

The Dolmar 7900 is a 79cc saw in a light package that will smoke all of the above. Marginal dealer support is their only drawback.

Just some options if you're a bit power hungry. The 361 will satisfy your need. Will it satisfy your ego? :hmm3grin2orange:

LOL
Ian

Last edited:
I have full skip loops, and I rarely use them. Even on the 24 inch bar on the 361. Reason is that you are going to be noodle cutting your rounds there, with the grain, and that is the easy way to cut with any saw, even in hardwoods. One big advantage of using skip for that is that the noodles, or curly fries as they are called, clear the saw better with 1/3 fewer cutters. Cutting noodles tends to wad up the thin chips under the sprocket of the saw. I cut white and black oaks here with my 361 and a 24 inch bar on it a lot, and I have no problems with it. It is slower than the 460 was... but if you are not a pro logger, not jammed for time to get someplace else, or do not have the power bug that some people have here, the 361 is fine for cutting with.

I have never used a bigger Husky in the 60cc+ size, so I cannot compare. The other typical recommendation in a firewood saw is the smaller Dolmar 5100s, but that would be if you had only the log pile at the right to cut up and no rounds and wanted an 18 inch bar firewood saw. I cannot see running any smaller Stihl saws with a 24 inch bar on it, though I am sure there are people that do that. Around here, they typically run a 361 with 28 inch bars on them, cutting fir. That is beyond the Stihl factory recommendation, but I stihl see them set up that way here. Even at some of the Stihl dealers they will have a new 361 on the wall with a 28 inch bar on it. In that case I would run full skip chain. But even with long bar disease, I do not have a 28 inch bar. I tend to run a 20 inch on my 290, and a 24 on the 361. I have 16 inch picco bars on my 210/025 lineup of saws. :chainsaw:

BTW: I cut 10-15 cords a year for firewood, and fell several hundred trees a year here thinning and cleaning up windthrow. I use the 361 as the primary saw, and the 290 as a backup with a shorter bar. Then I typically use the 025 or 210 for limbing and smaller diameter firewood cutting.

Last edited:
IMO; The best bang for the buck is a 5100 and 7900 combo. Will cut everything you need big or small and is priced under 900.00 for the pair.

You asked about the 460 a couple of times, so I'll chime in. That's my favorite saw. There's plenty of other saws in the garage, but that seems to be the one I reach for most. To me it just feels right. I like the power, don't notice the weight, and I don't seem to feel much in the way of vibes. It absolutely rips with a 25" bar, does right nice with a 28" and can pull 32" when needed. Since you're cutting for an OWB, I'm guessing those rounds are not going to be cut shorter - so you might need that extra bar length. You might want a smaller saw to go along with it to take care of the light stuff, but don't worry. If you hang around here long, you'll have plenty of saws in your stable soon enough.....

MS390 24"... Well most of the saws discussed have been pro saws, but that one would run a 24" bar as well, especially if given a little muffler mod. It is a "homeowner" saw tho and is not given much respect on AS. What's the price difference between that and a 361?

Ian

Ripping rounds that size, I think a 441 or 460 with 20" + bar would be better.
441 has very good vibration dampening system.
I cut up 5 large oaks this spring already, ripping many large rounds pretty quickly and easily with my 441 and 20" bar, RSC chain.
Smooth and quick cut.
Matter of fact, ripped 12 rounds last night at my camp after work.
PS- touch up the chain with a file often when ripping rounds.

Last edited:
I have been lurking and reading posts for quite some time and had decided that the 361 was the saw needed for working up my annual supply of firewood for the OWB. I have not had a saw in good working order for some time, but that has not stopped my father-in-law from cutting our wood in addition to his supply for his fireplace insert.:clap: :bowdown:

Next winter's supply has already started coming in and it is time to find the right saw and do my share of cutting, bucking, splitting, and stacking. Father-in-law's most recent delivery has caused me to reconsider the 361. I believe that the large pieces are referred to as rounds, and I have read some members recommend that the method to use in preparing them for splitting is to quarter them while on edge as they are in the picture (off the trailer of course!).

attachment.php

The rounds are approximately 24" to 26", so I am thinking that a 28 inch bar would be best to make short work of them. Granted, these pieces do not come in everyday, but you can't be too picky about the size of your free wood!:)

The 441 obviously comes to mind, but the 460 might also be worth considering. A 650 or beyond would seem to be more than what is needed to handle the occasional big round or two.

The Stihl dealer had what appeared to be a well-used (paint worn off, plastic side panel cracked with hole) 440 come in on a trade yesterday or the day before, but I do not want to worry with a well-used saw needing extra maintenance. I am looking for a saw that, if treated properly, will be reliable for many years to come. He has not yet broken it down and so could not quote a price. Although I am leaning against a used saw, I might consider it based upon the praise I've seen here for the 440. Any suggestions on what might be a reasonable price given the risk of a used saw?

What do you think? 361, 441, 460 or well-used 440? :chainsaw:

Also, I believe my father-in-law has a 026 or 028, and he uses only a 16 inch bar. If I were to go with two bars, what would you recommend to compliment his 16 inch?

Chain?

Thank you for your help with this post and for all of the help you have given others!:clap:

P.S. Anyone care to guess how much wood is here in terms of cords?
can you think of a situation where smaller is better? get a 660

If you need a 660, you may as well get an 880.

So, he asked for a Stihl ,and we have recommended everything in that lineup, as well as Dolmar, Husky, and some other stuff.

I Stihl say that the answer to 'which 60cc firewood saw should I buy?' is:

The Stihl MS361.

The answer to the 'which 50cc firewood saw should I buy' is:

The Dolmar PS-5100S.

We should make that a Stickey.

Last edited:
Back