Seeking help with choosing new Stihl saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw while wood is green, split when dry

I have a Stihl MS260 for small wood, and an older 066 with a 36" bar for the big wood that I find. I search Craigslist for homeowners with fallen oak trees that they are trying to get removed for free. I like my oak to age for 1 1/2 to 2 years before I burn. I made the mistake before of waiting until my wood was seasoned to shorten the long pieces for the wood stove. My saw chain did not like it and became dull very quickly. I recently scored a green 100 year old oak trunk that was 30 - 36" thick. I was amazed that my 066 cut through the green oak like a hot knife through butter. Some round pieces were so big that I had to cut them with the grain of the wood to split them into quarters to move them. After 30-40 cuts, my chain is still sharp and plows right through.
:greenchainsaw:

I had a 361 for about a month and loved it. Traded it in for a 460 and love that even more. I run 20" and 28" semi chisel and the extra vibration has never bothered me. The extra power in the 460 sure is welcome though. I also hated the airfilter on the 361....Both are awesome saws though, I would love to add a 361 and a 260 someday.

Latest posts

Back