selling firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw an ad today for a full cord of hardwood, cut, split, and delivered for $135. Another local fella is selling his for $30 a pickup load--pure foolishness!!
That's because the economy is slowing down like a snail. All the cash was sent last spring and summer to the Arabs to pay for $4.50 gas and $5 diesel. Men are lucky to have a job. Now fossil fuel prices have dropped like a stone and cash is scarce.

Big Oak, I am afraid that a lot of people are broke. :monkey:

Sellin 1/2 face cords for $35 and then charging $10 to $25 for delivery is a nice sweet spot for me, about all the more wood I'd want to put in my little Tacoma. I normally try to buck, split(by hand), and haul up enough wood to replenish the stack after each delivery, and I can get a half face cut and split in an hour without too much trouble. Two loads a day, a few days a week is doing arite, pays the bills, fills the tank and enough for a few Yuenglings or Molsons. Of course it wouldn't be so easy if the neighbor hadn't timbered his 15 acres last winter and let me clear out the tops. I make sure that my wood is always the nicest cherry, ash, red oak, and sugar maple and cater more to customers that have fireplaces or cook with the wood. I figure I have enough of a wood stash to heat the house for a few years and pay the bills till the economy picks up and I get my real job back...

I can get a face (1/3) cord in my Toyota Tacoma and get $100 delivered within 10-15 miles. Takes me a about 15 minutes to tightly stack and pack. I have never seen a 1/2 a face cord advertised or had anyone request that amount.

attachment.php

all kinds....
various oaks, shagbark hickory, honey locust, ash, apple?, hedge, white pine, spruce, ornamental pear.....probably some more I'm not sure exactly. I'm thinking about buying a 24-32 ton splitter when I've got the money if I would make my money back in a couple years. I've also got a couple of my own customers who have me come split their own piles every fall. What does a cord translate into yards? Oh and whats an average time for preparing a cord. Thanks guys!
We have some BBQ folks that buy Hickory, Cherry and any fruit trees we process year round.
We built our splitter from scratch and it runs off of a tractor's hydraulics.
Like a previous post mentioned, a cord is defined as 128 cubic feet stacked tight 4'x4'x8'=128'.
I also get a laugh out of the bums who say they can "throw" a cord of wood on a half ton pick-up truck.

This is the best move ANYONE running a small firewood operation can make. They are so cheap when you really compare things. My supplier cuts 400 cords a year and uses one. I have one also. No maintenance and cheap on fuel, Light easy to use and fast. You'll be glad you made the jump so quick. Next your going to want an elevator and a dump trailer.

Scott

I have to agree. I picked up a (very slightly used) SS this year, great machine! Although, I cant imagine doing 400 cords a year with a single SS. :crazy:

Back