Sherrill Big shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone tried out a sherrill Big shot?
Opinions ect It looks interesting.

Later,
David :blob2:

My professors have tried these things. Apparently they work very well. If you look in the Sherrills catalog they are said to do certain heights / distances. I believe you can do those lengths no problem if not more. I personally wouldn't mind getting one for recreational purposes... just a little bit costly to do so though. :(

Got mine the instant Sherril made em available!! On my third replaceable rubber band, plus Sherril sent me a fourth one free after one failed. and I didnt even buy it from them!!!

80-100 foot shots doable with lite throwline. Or more with fishing line.

Much more accurate than hand throwing. Unless you're an ITCC pro......

big shot

hey mate:i've used it for years and i highly recommend it. plus spend the extra $45 to get the optional snap.man i can shoot that line 70 foot plus up in that tree with the greatest of ease.
jack

Eagle hardware, now Lowe's, has a quick release that works fine, for about $5. wouldn't be without it for the over 60 foot shots.

Best to have one eight foot pole, rather than two fours, it makes it easier to slide the snap (attaches to pole via prussic) down the pole.

i've had one since they came out and keep it on the truck all the time . We store it in a munitions box on top of the throwline, with a ball at each end. You need to anchor the standing end!

It is very good for high shots, making oodles more choices for maximizing/ sharing stength, braking, steering, safety etc. in a lot of given senarios. We also use it if we need to punch through dense foilage or vines. Giving more equitable choices for maximizing these functions for very little cost.

Last edited:
There is some resistance with the line. I used to use that old socalled "slickline" but it is way too dynamic

Flylite has too low of a test, like 250#. Not for me.

I've been using Spectra for a year now. Best I've found.

Many like the new Zing-It that just came out, lighter weight. Many are going to the 8 oz bags.

What ever you use, get a real long hank. I use a 200ft. small trees it can be a pain, but SRT and over shots it is nesesary.

other things to do,
rake the area youll be shooting from so you don't get a birdsnest with a twig.
Flake out the line so that is can run free.
Load it from the front.
Don't stand on the line:rolleyes:, Im still working on that part

I love my bigshot, i call it the poor man's bucket truck. I've never had a problem hitting those high shots, I do like the Weaver brand throwbags better than the new sherrill bags, I find they are a little oblong and can sometimes fly out of the pouch at the wrong angle if your not real careful. John's right about raking the ground where you flake out the line in front of you, another thing I do is flake the line into a backpack or rope bag when I store it so that I can shoot right from the bag for my first shot and then flake it on the ground if I have to try again. I live out in the country and I tried shooting the throwbag with and without throwline over the cornfield as an experiment and found no noticeable difference in height or velocity when I had my line flaked properly. I use slickline but am gonna switch to flylite or try their new stuff because the slickline they sent me has too much friction on rough bark. A simple few tricks if you have to reshoot always let the weighted end down first instead of trying to pull the bag out of the tree, it might get stuck, If you do have to pull the bag through some branches get it about 2 feet from the crotch and let it stop swingin before you proceed or it might wrap around, and if the bag doesn't drop of it's own weight hold the line taut without pulling the bag up and pluck it like a harp string at the same time releasing the line, usually gets the bag to drop a little at a time. I don't use a release snap but I drop to one knee and use the snap at the end of my 8' Jameson section as a sight. With a little practice I can hit a pretty small target crotch from 60-80 foot no problem.

I usualy let a miss runn trough the tree and take the ball off. I use a running bowline so it comes out easy. never had the little loop I keep at the end get caught (Watch it'll happen tomorrow).

I would recomend not trying the fly-lite. it brakes way too easy. I use mine for short shots only these days. Spectr or zing-it, though ZI ony comes in one length.

I like the torpedo bages becuse the dont sit down on fat limbs. I've had those pear shaped ones just plop down on a fat limb and not move.

What do you keep your line in? ive been keeping mine in a 1 gallon tupperware jug if coiled in properly it seems to run out fairly free.

Later,
David

New Tribe shotline bag. Works good and no ones mad at me for stealing the tupperwaer:D.

You can clip them on your belt if you ar in multistem trees and want to do a transfer.

I flake mine into a five gallon bucket. A rope bag or tarp works well also. you can keep more than one in one holder, and, if you want, separate them with cardboard, ala Rip Tompkins. And I also keep a different line a mug for use in the tree.

I agree, John, gotta get Zing It or spectra, the flylight has broken way too many times.

The current rubber I have is stiffer for some reason, So I have to use my quick release, as my twinkies aren't strong enough to hold it for any shot over 50 feet. Quick release is awesome anyhow.

I bought mine when they first came out with the fishing reel/rod combo with ground stake. Just back off the drag, open the bail, and let it fly. Sometimes laying a tarp out and flaking the first 50' of line on it helps in tall grass or sticks, not to mention a little Ballistol. Sherrill also sold the smaller spectra which was blue with an orange tracer. The line was killer, I replaced it with 80 lb. test white fishing line. Usually you pll your throwline up with the fish line and then manipulate from there. 200' throwlines with 2 throwballs each are a must for this, there's been a few times that 200' wasn't enough! We have hit shots over 125' with a 8 ounce bag. I customized a shorty 2 1/2' pole to add on my 8 footer for the high shots. Also for a release, I have been using a compond bow release and a loop of spectra tied in the finger strap of the big shot pouch. This has been extremely accurate and marking the pole at certain distances for certain hieghts helps target hitting also. Definately get the smaller spectra line and 8 ounce bag.

Good luck!
X-man

I started grabbing the whole pouch, to make it easier to pull the bag back, instead of putting my finger in the strap.

Then one day I grabbed the bag, and I didn't know it, my little finger went through the strap. When I released the bag, it broke my finger. That sucked.

i use mine every chance i get! even from the bucket truck! works great for getting a rope on the branch that is just too far to reach with the bucket!

Thanks John you just gave me a great idea for my bucket!
Remember those pocket fishermans they used to sell?
Hmmmmmmmmm yep i think that might work.

Later,
David

Da#n $90 bux! Those wrist rockets are only like $15, zebco another $15, other stuff $5? Good idea though.
I got the big shot a couple years ago and don't use it too often, guess I'm not doing enough big trees:eek:

Latest posts

Back