Shindaiwa 488 vs 491

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky288XP

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just curious how the two saws compare?

Maybe the 488 is more of a pro user saw, and the 491 is more of a ranch/farm saw?

The 488 is a true Shindaiwa, the 491S is a rebadged Echo CS 490. The 491 has approximately 2.5cc more displacement than the 488. @Four Paws can elaborate more on the 488 grade category.

After the merger with Echo, Shindaiwa saws were relegated to overseas markets. The thought was Echo saws would gain market share without direct competition from Shindaiwa, AND by being sold in box stores.

The 490 is a detuned 500P. The 500P costs enough that most people won't spend the money on it.

The 491S is a red Echo...just lIke Jonathan mentioned. It is a solid saw that will provide years of reliable service and mediocre performance.

The 488 is a fabulous saw. It is built better than any 50cc saw - previous or current offerings. It will Stihl an 026/MS260 lunch money, and while it will not run with a 346xp, it will outlast one. The 488 even has some (small) aftermarket support.

If you are mechanical, I would look for a 488 builder. If you are not, I would look for a running 488...even better if you can find one that has been rebuilt.

not to jump off topic but what is your opinion on the shin 757? im lookin for a saw to do some light milling.my neighbor will sell me his 757 for a buck and a half
is it capable of lght mill wrk?

not to jump off topic but what is your opinion on the shin 757? im lookin for a saw to do some light milling.my neighbor will sell me his 757 for a buck and a half
is it capable of lght mill wrk?

What do you consider "light millwork"?

i have 4 old cedar logs that i wanna mill up into planks bout 5/8" thick.after checkin prices on cedar at the lumberbyard figured i jus cut my own.the saw was bought to cut dwn 5 standing dead ash in his yard.so not much better se on it.

well after doin alot of reading on the shindys im gonna buy the saw either way.i didnt know the quality or value of the brand and he is givin me a killer deal gotta love good neighbors. anyhow i still wld like to know if i can use it for a little milling dont wanna burn it up.i would appreciate any advice.thnx

well after doin alot of reading on the shindys im gonna buy the saw either way.i didnt know the quality or value of the brand and he is givin me a killer deal gotta love good neighbors. anyhow i still wld like to know if i can use it for a little milling dont wanna burn it up.i would appreciate any advice.thnx

You are buying a great saw at a ridiculouslyrics good price. The early 757 had a fully adjustable carb. The later saws with the recoil decal like the 488 in Jims video had an EPA carb with a fixed high jet.

If you are going to mill, open up the muffler, get a fully adjustable carb, and set it rich. The 757 is a brute. If you have the power pro high top filter, you have fantastic filtration for milling. If you have the low top version, you will be fine but should clean the filter every tank of fuel.

Your oiler will put out plenty of oil.

cool thnx fir the info.like i said im not familiar with tht brand so didnt know what he had.if i had to guess i wld say its the hi top it has a big hump on top cover.as for age im not sure i didnt ask but i know he had it before i moved nxt door to him 8yrs ago.

You are buying a great saw at a ridiculouslyrics good price. The early 757 had a fully adjustable carb. The later saws with the recoil decal like the 488 in Jims video had an EPA carb with a fixed high jet.

If you are going to mill, open up the muffler, get a fully adjustable carb, and set it rich. The 757 is a brute. If you have the power pro high top filter, you have fantastic filtration for milling. If you have the low top version, you will be fine but should clean the filter every tank of fuel.

Your oiler will put out plenty of oil.
hey paws i looked at the decal its similar except its orange over black label.if its the epa carb cant i jus pop the plastic caps off like my other saws or is shindys different? also if ur knowledgable about millin have a cple other ? for ya thnx again.

hey paws i looked at the decal its similar except its orange over black label.if its the epa carb cant i jus pop the plastic caps off like my other saws or is shindys different? also if ur knowledgable about millin have a cple other ? for ya thnx again.

I am not a milling expert. Check out the milling forum on this site as it is full of good info.

As far as the carb goes, the high jet was fixed on some, and not adjustable at all.

Nice 757. You stole it for $150! It is an epa saw...check thecarburetor.

I am not a milling expert. Check out the milling forum on this site as it is full of good info.

As far as the carb goes, the high jet was fixed on some, and not adjustable at all.[/QUOTE
ok will do.i actually know where another one of these is for 175$ maybe ill go grab that one too.u guys on this site are right this crap is addictive. lol

Latest posts

Back