Shop Re-Sharpened Chains vs. Factory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and, yeah.. Nevada City, which is in Nevada County.. which is in... you guessed it: California

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

From what I understand is if you grow those flowers and then smoke it you will not want to go out and cut any logs into firewood, but maybe that is just my problem.

I bought a brand new car a few years ago with a small 4 cylinder engine for economy travel. It started jerking at 20,000 miles. The dealer said it was probably just a spark plug so it would not be covered under warranty so changed the spark plugs and it still continued to jerk. The dealer said if the engine light was not on there was nothing they would to fix the problem unless I paid them to check it over. When I was out of town the engine light came on and I plugged my scanner into it and discovered one cylinder was misfiring so the closest dealer said they were busy and needed a few days to set an appointment. After some investigation decided to change the ignition coils and it ran smooth. From my point of view if you want something fixed then go ahead and fix it yourself. I spent more than 30 hours going to the dealer to get my car fixed and still they did not fix any of my problems. My car has more than 60,000 miles on it now and have done some maintenance that has cost me more than 6 hours labor, but has saved me at least 15 hours of driving to the dealer to get the run around.

As far as sharpening your chains anybody can learn to sharpen chains if they want to, but if some body wants to drive to a saw shop to get their saw sharp then that will keep saw shops in business. It would take me nearly the whole day to drive to a saw shop to tell me that I could pick up my chains in a few days. Not acceptable. Thanks

From what I understand is if you grow those flowers and then smoke it you will not want to go out and cut any logs into firewood, but maybe that is just my problem.

I bought a brand new car a few years ago with a small 4 cylinder engine for economy travel. It started jerking at 20,000 miles. The dealer said it was probably just a spark plug so it would not be covered under warranty so changed the spark plugs and it still continued to jerk. The dealer said if the engine light was not on there was nothing they would to fix the problem unless I paid them to check it over. When I was out of town the engine light came on and I plugged my scanner into it and discovered one cylinder was misfiring so the closest dealer said they were busy and needed a few days to set an appointment. After some investigation decided to change the ignition coils and it ran smooth. From my point of view if you want something fixed then go ahead and fix it yourself. I spent more than 30 hours going to the dealer to get my car fixed and still they did not fix any of my problems. My car has more than 60,000 miles on it now and have done some maintenance that has cost me more than 6 hours labor, but has saved me at least 15 hours of driving to the dealer to get the run around.

As far as sharpening your chains anybody can learn to sharpen chains if they want to, but if some body wants to drive to a saw shop to get their saw sharp then that will keep saw shops in business. It would take me nearly the whole day to drive to a saw shop to tell me that I could pick up my chains in a few days. Not acceptable. Thanks

I have said it a few times already. You need to find a new dealer. I only need to have bad service 1 time and I am gone. Also I look at it a little different. When I was a kid my dad would go to the local mechanic for a coffee and have him look over the car while he was there. He caught little problems well before they were big ones. Often my dad would say oh yes the car runs great but from time to time there is a little vibration... It works the same way at my dealership. The customer can come in and drop off a chain but then also ask questions. I can tell them about flipping the bars, show them how to clean out the bar grooves etc.. I am one of the few people I know who still does my own oil changes. I still smile when people walk around the sales floor like kids in a candy store, looking at the latest and greatest.... can't do that sitting in the garage.

I bought an Echo CS-620P today and since my last saw used 5/32" files, I asked for some 7/32" files. The guy said "I'm out but I can sell you some 5/32" files." I said "you can't use these on this chain." He mumbled under his breath, "You can if you know what you're doing." I would have left the saw there if it weren't for the 20% off due to their "Open House". :dumb2:

Experts with opinions are all to common. Experts with knowledge are very rare.

When I was first getting started and couldn't hand file worth a damn, my neighbor said I was using the wrong file. I was using a 5/32 on a .325 chain. He got out his 7/32 and got the chain razor sharp, but also filed deeply into the chain links. After a short time the chain broke. Duh! Later he also volunteered to tune my saw. It took me a year to finally get the knowledge to tune my saw the correct way, so it would run right again. :mad:

Needless to say, I don't seek his help anymore.

I bought an Echo CS-620P today and since my last saw used 5/32" files, I asked for some 7/32" files. The guy said "I'm out but I can sell you some 5/32" files." I said "you can't use these on this chain." He mumbled under his breath, "You can if you know what you're doing." I would have left the saw there if it weren't for the 20% off due to their "Open House". :dumb2:

My neighbor is pretty knowledgeable all things engine related. He's been showing me things here and there. We used to butt heads because he would want to just fix the problem, but I wanted to know what variables could lead to the problem in the first place. He's gotten better about trying to learn the dumb kid, and I've learned to not necessarily ask so many questions. Plus as I've learned more I can begin piecing parts of the puzzle together so that I don't need to ask so many questions. It's hard though, helps to learn certain things in order, even though I want to know now!! Been learning to tune my saws, I get lucky sometimes, it's some high science. To me, anyways.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I have said it a few times already. You need to find a new dealer. I only need to have bad service 1 time and I am gone. Also I look at it a little different. When I was a kid my dad would go to the local mechanic for a coffee and have him look over the car while he was there. He caught little problems well before they were big ones. Often my dad would say oh yes the car runs great but from time to time there is a little vibration... It works the same way at my dealership. The customer can come in and drop off a chain but then also ask questions. I can tell them about flipping the bars, show them how to clean out the bar grooves etc.. I am one of the few people I know who still does my own oil changes. I still smile when people walk around the sales floor like kids in a candy store, looking at the latest and greatest.... can't do that sitting in the garage.
Just curious, what is your job/title there?
1 complaint and you are gone?

Oregon low profile and narrow kerf (Type 90) chain actually calls for a 4.5mm ( 11/64") file. This is counter-intuitive, since this chain appears to be slightly 'smaller' than regular 3/8 low profile chain (Type 91), which takes a 5/32" diameter file.

But I tried it, and it really worked well. Oregon says the teeth have s different profile. You might have to order these files, unless a well stocked store carries them..

Philbert
I stopped by my old Partner dealer today now Stihl, asked if he had a 5/32nds file,... he said how many ? I said 2 he said $4.00 I said thanks and was gone with the 2 new files.

Just curious, what is your job/title there?
1 complaint and you are gone?

HarleyT I did not mean I would be dismissed. I mean if I was given bad service then I would not come back. I have read people talking about getting bad service but still going back to the same place for more. My title is " The stihl guy " so my boss says. he loves to tell customers how I was at Stihl in Germany and now here in Canada. That and I worked in the Forstverwaltung ( basically the forestry service ) in Germany so the tree guys feel comfortable taking advice from me on saws and equipment.
I had an old boss in Germany that would say" Er muss den Scheißkuchen geliebt haben, den ich ihm letztes Mal gedient habe, denn er ist jetzt wieder für ein anderes Stück " Customer service is key. I have had disagreements with customers but we soon get things worked out quickly when they ask for a 16 " chain for their saw. They do not remember the model of the saw nor the pitch. I usually blame Stihl for making so many 16" chains! :D

I agree 100%. I sound negative on my "neighbor", but in totality he has taught me far more then I criticize. It is all part of the grand total that I continue to tally.

Some people are good at what they do, but not necessarily good teachers. I've also met some guys who are very protective of their 'secrets'.

Philbert

It's all about having the patience. And willing to want to learn . And find that guy that Carry's on about the subject your interested in . That's were forums come in there awesome . Because we can't find something that someone hasn't dealt with but you need to find him lol. Back to patience. lol

Woodblocker55

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I have one thing to add for CBN folks........dress the wheel.
The wheels come with a dressing stick for a reason.
Will a CBN wheel cut when loaded? Yup
Will it heat a cutter when loaded? A lot better than a standard wheel!!!
If it isn't a flat non reflective surface......it's got steel in the surface
And it is not cutting as well ........

This isn't theory .......it's physics. Plain and simple.
I'm an Ol Phart......but in right.
If you need help finding a dressing wheel......PM me.

I have one thing to add for CBN folks........dress the wheel.
The wheels come with a dressing stick for a reason.
Will a CBN wheel cut when loaded? Yup
Will it heat a cutter when loaded? A lot better than a standard wheel!!!
If it isn't a flat non reflective surface......it's got steel in the surface
And it is not cutting as well ........

This isn't theory .......it's physics. Plain and simple.
I'm an Ol Phart......but in right.
If you need help finding a dressing wheel......PM me.
I am a CBN user, thank you for bringing that up....I kept the cleaning sticks they sent me....I haven't done but 15-30 chains with them yet.....how many chains on average would you say it takes to clog them up....I understand there are a lot of variables, just wonder how long it takes to clog one???

For cleaning CBN wheels a sonic cleaner works very good
Better than the stick
When using the white stick the wheel should be spinning or coasting to a stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never used an ultrasonic cleaner.....seems a pain to die mount and remount it. But hey.....if you like it ...great.
I dress them at speed. Have for 40 years.
So sayeth the Gods Of Norton. They are pretty good at that stuff.
Now 40 years doesn't make it right. In the last CBN wheel I got it said to wet the dressing stick. New to me. But makes sense.

I am a CBN user, thank you for bringing that up....I kept the cleaning sticks they sent me....I haven't done but 15-30 chains with them yet.....how many chains on average would you say it takes to clog them up....I understand there are a lot of variables, just wonder how long it takes to clog one???
Lol....I never keep track.
Each chain is different as to length and amount taken off and size.

You can feel it.......and see the color of the tooth.

And look at the wheel......anything but dust brown is steel building heat and loading the wheel.

You can load a wheel to the point dressing sticks wont work.
That would get you moved out of the grinding department.
If too loaded they can be redressed on a surface grinder.
But you lose your profile.....the wheel is actually made smaller.

In real world grinding you make the wheel round and concentric to the taper of the mandrel.......another world.

Anyway........I just go by looks mainly.

But a CBN wheel can build heat better than s cheap wheel.

On my Silvey 600 with 8" wheel I have a brush with a drip to keep it wet. VERY little water or you get a shower.
I don't reverse wheel either. Hate me if you will. Lol

Lol....I never keep track.
Each chain is different as to length and amount taken off and size.

You can feel it.......and see the color of the tooth.

And look at the wheel......anything but dust brown is steel building heat and loading the wheel.

You can load a wheel to the point dressing sticks wont work.
That would get you moved out of the grinding department.
If too loaded they can be redressed on a surface grinder.
But you lose your profile.....the wheel is actually made smaller.

In real world grinding you make the wheel round and concentric to the taper of the mandrel.......another world.

Anyway........I just go by looks mainly.

But a CBN wheel can build heat better than s cheap wheel.

On my Silvey 600 with 8" wheel I have a brush with a drip to keep it wet. VERY little water or you get a shower.
I don't reverse wheel either. Hate me if you will. Lol
LOL, that's why I said "there are many variables".....I can't imagine there is anyone that keeps track of the excact number of chains they do, I know I don't have time for it.......the way you talked i figured you had a tip or trick regarding the CBN wheels.....if someone has to actually burn a tooth to be able to tell something is wrong, they haven't ground that many chains!!!

Now it would be helpful to people if you would share "how" you actually dress the CBN wheel....I know some guys say they let it slow down and just barely hit the stone to the wheel....

I
LOL, that's why I said "there are many variables".....I can't imagine there is anyone that keeps track of the excact number of chains they do, I know I don't have time for it.......the way you talked i figured you had a tip or trick regarding the CBN wheels.....if someone has to actually burn a tooth to be able to tell something is wrong, they haven't ground that many chains!!!

Now it would be helpful to people if you would share "how" you actually dress the CBN wheel....I know some guys say they let it slow down and just barely hit the stone to the wheel....
To be honest it is by tone more than anything.
You can tell when it is loaded.
A drone more than a crisp clean sound.

And for dressing.......you just let the wheel "eat" the dressing stick till the wheel is non reflective....rub it across the wheel.

I sharpened this at work probably been sharpened 6 times or so. This video was taken after running a tank of fuel and even stumping this tree. So they seem hold an edge ok and cut pretty good.

Back