Shopping For 20" to 24" Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you get the 440 go ahead and buy the dual port cover, Remember to adjust carb also....
I think this guy lives a little further away from Tom then you do, to just be able to run over to his shop and get his 440 carb adjustment done like you. :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
I think this guy lives a little further away from Tom then you do, to just be able to run over to his shop and get his 440 carb adjustment done like you. :biggrinbounce2:

He could ship the saw to Tom......Or you could give him step by step instructions on how to put countless hours into a wildthing that will blow the doors off a MS880. You could also send him one of your famous race chains......

Last edited:
More Saw Offers

Well, since my last post I discovered that the MS 440 at the pawn shop had seen its share of use. The chain was sharpened down to points, paint was worn off the bar & there was no owners manual. I took a compression reading with my clumsy semi-accurate rubber-tipped compression gauge & I was only able to get a maximum reading of 100lbs. They said they had test run it & were pretty firm on their $429 price.

I left the pawn shop & stopped at a Dolmar dealer to look at a new 6400 he had on display. I liked the way it was built & how it was balanced. He wanted $559 for it. On the internet that night I found a new Makita 6401 for $467 shipping included. Yesterday while calling around to the local tool rental centers I was offered a 1 year old Stihl MS 460 for $600. The manager told me it had been rented only 12 times since they bought it new.

I'm tempted to rent a Makita from Home Depot & rent the MS460 from the other store & see which one I like better. I'm 5' 10" & 165# so weight is also a factor. It seems like when you exceed the 60cc engine size, the weight factor comes into play. :chainsaw:

Like I said before the 361 a fine saw, but it's not going to cut very well with a 24" bar in hard wood. The 7900 is only a little more money and a bit more weight, and it will walk all over a 361.

If you have have a good dealer and your set on buying a Stihl I'd opt for the 440, 441 or a 460.

The 7900 (and 372xp) are a lot more weight in my book, but they sure are worth it, for a 24" bar.........
:chainsaw:

I think the MS440 is the lightest 70cc saw, but the 372/2171 is not much heavier.

Last edited:
SawTroll, how does your MS361 cut in 16 to 18 inch hardwood compared to your 372XP?

I haven't actually made any comparisons, but it feels like the 372 is a bit faster, even though it isn't quite run in yet, because of my leg injury (far from good, even after about 11 weeks)......;)

In smaller wood the 361 sure is the winner so far, with 15" bar and 8-pin - but I guess that might change when I put the 16" bar and 8-pin on the 372......:laugh: :laugh: :biggrinbounce2:

(snip)

I'm 5' 10" & 165# so weight is also a factor. It seems like when you exceed the 60cc engine size, the weight factor comes into play. :chainsaw:

I think the antivibe will go a long way towards offsetting the weight. I'm only 5'8" and a few lbs heavier.

The 441, and I understand the 372/2171, have good antivibe. The 441 is a dream to run, especially waste high or lower. If you get a chance to run any of these, I would take it.

I haven't actually made any comparisons, but it feels like the 372 is a bit faster, even though it isn't quite run in yet, because of my leg injury (far from good, even after about 11 weeks)......;)

In smaller wood the 361 sure is the winner so far, with 15" bar and 8-pin - but I guess that might change when I put the 16" bar and 8-pin on the 372......:laugh: :laugh: :biggrinbounce2:
16" bar on a 372???

16" bar on a 372???

They don't get enough sunlight up there, makes 'em do funny stuff.

I'd personally like to run a 441 or a 372. I've got a frame about like PA Plumber and I find my 3/4 wrap 460 is about all I want to tangle with after a load of firewood, or an afternoon of cutting trees. Its not impossible, but tiring. I definately like taking the 361 out more... I can run it as long as I want and not get tired out.

My vote is for the 440.. but beware.. Lots of saws that end up in pawn shops or on ebay have been run without oil or other problems.

The 440 has good power and while it's heavier than other saws you will appreciate that power when you need it. I was using a husky 55 when I tried my brother's 044 and couldn't believe how nice it was to have that extra power. I ended up bumping up a bit to the 460 but the 440/441 was fine.

Canton is my old stomping grounds.. and will be again one day! Say hello to Fred on WHBC.. He's my brother!

For anything more than the occasional 1 or 2 cut per season a 24" bar on a 60cc saw of any make is the wrong move. Better to have more power than you need over wishing you had more!!!

Stay in the 70cc class for a 24" bar.........any of the mentioned saws.........7900, 441, 460..........etc. is the better choice!!!

For anything more than the occasional 1 or 2 cut per season a 24" bar on a 60cc saw of any make is the wrong move. Better to have more power than you need over wishing you had more!!!

Stay in the 70cc class for a 24" bar.........any of the mentioned saws.........7900, 441, 460..........etc. is the better choice!!!

I Have a Husky 365 special and a Makita 6401 and after Hurricane Rita used the Husky with a 24" bar cutting storm downed Oaks, Pines, and sweet Gum storm debris and never had a problem some as big as 36" but I must admit if thy got any bigger I broke out the 460 w/28" or the 066 w/32",,, The problem was we were running them all day and the 365 was much lighter and honestly had plenty of power with the 24 even with full comp, full Chisel,,,, :rockn: I do have some Pics somewhere,, if I find them I will post them but they are 65CC saws BTW

Last edited:

I Have a Husky 365 special and a Makita 6401 and after Hurricane Rita used the Husky with a 24" bar cutting storm downed Oaks, Pines, and sweet Gum storm debris and never had a problem some as big as 36" but I must admit if thy got any bigger I broke out the 460 w/28" or the 066 w/32",,, The problem was we were running them all day and the 365 was much lighter and honestly had plenty of power with the 24 even with full comp, full Chisel,,,, :rockn:

Looks like you found 2 exceptions............thanx!!!

Farmerjim,

I wish you luck on getting a saw. I think folks have reccomended some good ones. I think the renting idea is good too. I will tell you I have 9 saws now and bought them all used. I'm up in the shed all the time tinkering on them trying to fix junk saws with junk parts, sometimes I buy new parts. I happen to enjoy it but I wish I would of just bought two new saws from the get go. It would be cheaper in the long run but not as fun. Any time you buy a used saw you are rolling the dice unless they let you test it and take it apart.

I advise to buy new and spend more time running them rather then working on them. Unless you like working on them.

On another note now I'm confused about outboard/inboard clutches. I was buying parts and talking to the stihl guys at Ace Hardware about the 028 AVS I was working on and told them it had an inboard clutch (clutch inside and rim sprocket outside). He said I got it all wrong, that its the other way around. I admitt sometimes it aint hard to confuse me but on this matter I am confused.

Have a good evening.

v/r

Mike

Thats Odd I have a 028 AV

Farmerjim,

I wish you luck on getting a saw. I think folks have reccomended some good ones. I think the renting idea is good too. I will tell you I have 9 saws now and bought them all used. I'm up in the shed all the time tinkering on them trying to fix junk saws with junk parts, sometimes I buy new parts. I happen to enjoy it but I wish I would of just bought two new saws from the get go. It would be cheaper in the long run but not as fun. Any time you buy a used saw you are rolling the dice unless they let you test it and take it apart.

I advise to buy new and spend more time running them rather then working on them. Unless you like working on them.

On another note now I'm confused about outboard/inboard clutches. I was buying parts and talking to the stihl guys at Ace Hardware about the 028 AVS I was working on and told them it had an inboard clutch (clutch inside and rim sprocket outside). He said I got it all wrong, that its the other way around. I admitt sometimes it aint hard to confuse me but on this matter I am confused.

Have a good evening.

v/r

Mike

Mine has an inboard clutch and so does every other 028, you might ought to have him show it to you on his IPL.... Its definitley in board!!!!

Well, since my last post I discovered that the MS 440 at the pawn shop had seen its share of use. The chain was sharpened down to points, paint was worn off the bar & there was no owners manual. I took a compression reading with my clumsy semi-accurate rubber-tipped compression gauge & I was only able to get a maximum reading of 100lbs. They said they had test run it & were pretty firm on their $429 price.

I left the pawn shop & stopped at a Dolmar dealer to look at a new 6400 he had on display. I liked the way it was built & how it was balanced. He wanted $559 for it. On the internet that night I found a new Makita 6401 for $467 shipping included. Yesterday while calling around to the local tool rental centers I was offered a 1 year old Stihl MS 460 for $600. The manager told me it had been rented only 12 times since they bought it new.

I'm tempted to rent a Makita from Home Depot & rent the MS460 from the other store & see which one I like better. I'm 5' 10" & 165# so weight is also a factor. It seems like when you exceed the 60cc engine size, the weight factor comes into play. :chainsaw:

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan renting them.
I recently bought a 441 but opted for the 20" bar. The saw is a dream to cut with, and the weight really isn't a factor to me. I have cut up some real tough oak with it and was very pleased with the performance.
The 460 has more power than the 441 and weighs about the same, so if you like the 460 rental don't hesitate to buy it.

Saw held as a right handed operator would when cutting:
Clutch housing to the left of the rim sprocket = inboard clutch.
Clutch housing to right of the rim sprocket = outboard clutch.

If you have to put chain over clutch housing before it goes on bar outboard clutch.

Last edited:
Back