Should I buy this 026?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gartenwagen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new. I registered just to ask this question....but will probably stick around! I work at a public garden, and use saws on a regular basis (Husky 55, 338, 371/372, 385, etc). So I have a fair bit of experience, but I've never bought one for myself.

In any case, I've been looking for a good used Stihl for general "homeowner" (someday!) use and simple sidework (clean-up, pruning, small take-downs). I will not be climbing with it.

I have been offered an 026. The saw literally has 30 minutes of use on it. However, it is 7-8yrs old. It comes with a case and extra chain. It looks new- because basically it is. I have not run it yet (it has not had fuel in it for years) but assuming it starts and runs fine, what would a fair price be for the saw? Its owner says that since MS260s are $439, $100 less than that would be a great price. Thoughts?

Gartenwagen said:
Hi all, I am new. I registered just to ask this question....but will probably stick around! I work at a public garden, and use saws on a regular basis (Husky 55, 338, 371/372, 385, etc). So I have a fair bit of experience, but I've never bought one for myself.

In any case, I've been looking for a good used Stihl for general "homeowner" (someday!) use and simple sidework (clean-up, pruning, small take-downs). I will not be climbing with it.

I have been offered an 026. The saw literally has 30 minutes of use on it. However, it is 7-8yrs old. It comes with a case and extra chain. It looks new- because basically it is. I have not run it yet (it has not had fuel in it for years) but assuming it starts and runs fine, what would a fair price be for the saw? Its owner says that since MS260s are $439, $100 less than that would be a great price. Thoughts?

If it is a PRO version it might be worth that much tops... If it is the standard 026 that is a little steep I think.... Was it stored with the mix in it? Might be a little work to make it run good if it was

Last edited:
edritchey said:
If it is a PRO version it might be worth that much tops... If it is the standard 026 that is a little steep I think.... Was it stored with the mix in it? Might be a little work to make it run giid if it was.:confused:

It is not the Pro, but besides the decompression valve there is not much difference IIRC. It was stored empty, which is of some concern (dried up??). If it starts and runs properly then everything is fine, right?

$100 off the price of a new saw is way steep. Even if the saw is in like new condition.

Even if it was NOS I don't think it would be worth anything over $300

7 years is 7 years and used is used.

You'd should expect that kind of price depreciation on a current model that's only had 30 minutes use. I'd say he's being a mite optimistic asking you for that. Why not say you'll give him $100 less than he paid for it 7-8 years ago.

Dan

Dan

He could not have been given better advice how to bargain with the seller. If it had been me or any member:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Gartenwagen said:
It is not the Pro, but besides the decompression valve there is not much difference IIRC. It was stored empty, which is of some concern (dried up??). If it starts and runs properly then everything is fine, right?

If it's like new and if it runs great I think it would be worth 200 or so they were good saws. :)

You can get a VERY nice Husky saw in the $350 range, so rather than inherit a potential problem, you could go that route.
I have a MS260, and I think that for that saw, (a 26, right?)
you would be getting a fair deal at say... $ 275. Thats like $150 off a MS 260.
Especially if it really IS as mint as you say.

I think the 26 is pro-quality, but a Husky for $ 350 like the 353 would be too.

If the gas has been in it that long, I'd be wary.
You will need to clean the tank, possibly the carb, and probably replace the fuel filter for starters.

I think that the consensus is dont get tunnel vision on that one saw.
There are a lot of options out there.
:dizzy:

Dan Forsh said:
You'd should expect that kind of price depreciation on a current model that's only had 30 minutes use. I'd say he's being a mite optimistic asking you for that. Why not say you'll give him $100 less than he paid for it 7-8 years ago.

Dan

Good advice!!!

Start a little lower with the cash in hand.......that may prompt him to sell lower!!!

Can't hurt!!!

One more thing though. A brand new Dolmar 5100 ( which has it all over the 026/260 goes for around $350 to $400 ) might be a better option.

Just my 2 bits as a homeowner. I did some searching for you on the 026 completed prices on ebay. Anywhere from $175-$225. Buy it nows were in the $175-$200 range. I was figuring $200 would be a fair price for the 026. Being you can buy the Dolmar 5100S brand new for $369 with 16", the hottest 50cc saw in the class right now.

Cut4fun said:
Just my 2 bits as a homeowner. I did some searching for you on the 026 completed prices on ebay. Anywhere from $175-$225. Buy it nows were in the $175-$200 range. I was figuring $200 would be a fair price for the 026. Being you can buy the Dolmar 5100S brand new for $369 with 16", the hottest 50cc saw in the class right now.

I love my PS-5100S Domars, I don't even use my 026s any more.... Hey Cut4fun your animated graphics are the coolest.....

musch said:
If the gas has been in it that long, I'd be wary.
You will need to clean the tank, possibly the carb, and probably replace the fuel filter for starters.

NO gas in it- it was stored DRY. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!

Gartenwagen said:
NO gas in it- it was stored DRY. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming!

It should be ok... Haved him let you run it first and if it runs good there's your answer....:dizzy:

WOW. I was off base on the price.
So, apparently the used prices are not much over $200.
Thats something in your favor.
I still think that knowing the history is a little better, vs. Ebay, where, who knows?

As far as storage, If it was empty of fuel, but there was some residual lubricant i.e. 2 cycle oil inside the tank, etc. you should be good.

There is some risk of corrosion, but I think it should be minimal, as long as the storage conditions weren't too harsh.

I'd take dry over all the varnish from stale gas anyday.

just check the rubber lines to make sure they're still flexible and not cracking from sitting around. save yourself some trouble ahead of time and make sure the rubber doesnt leak air. that could make a great deal into an INSANE headache that costs as much as a brand new MS260.

026 is a nice little saw. Runs a 16" .325 setup great. I used one last winter to do ground limbing quite a bit. I liked it but it left me wanting more. It was easy to use and easy to hold just not an exciting saw. I would not pay more than $250.00 for a used one no matter what. I have not ever run a new one. The one I was running was used and recently rebuilt. I liked it better compared to a Husky 50. It was easier to toss around and it felt better. I guess what I should say is I still have it but I do not reach for it as much as the 028WBS.

Running it is the ultimate test, Run a tank through it because of the age, It will be good for the saw and you will know what it is after a tank. Go to a dealer or two and feel some other saws, the 026 is one of the lightest if not the lightest 3 cube saw on the market. but then you will know if it is the saw you want and give him an offer between $225-300. I will say I have a 025 that is the same general size and power range. I keep that saw around despite having many saws of the same size because it is light dependable and I handle it well.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back