should I rebuild my stihl 200T or just keep it for parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you do a search here you will find those carbs at a POS. I would look for a new carb for it and see if it helps but first take the muffler off and look at the piston. If it's scored then look at rebuilding it. I guess I'm late getting in line for this one.

There's several carbs they tried on this saw, none of them great, and a couple absolute junk. I was not impressed with the Zama version. Never got one to run with a faltering Zama; all remedies failed. So I just scouted around for a good used Walbro and then it ran fine.

Jimbo

im assuming the cylinder is nickasil plated? I guess all buy some muratic acid and clean the cylinder free of aluminum buildup.

I would be leery of muriatic acid in a scored cylinder. If the plating is damaged the acid can attack the underlying base metal. I prefer using 400 or 600 grit wet-or-dry silicon carbide abrasive paper stretched over a sanding block slightly smaller than the bore. A 3/4" drive socket works as a sanding block. Mark the affected area with a red Magic Marker and with a finger inserted into the socket rotate the socket back and forth while applying pressure against the rough area. Stop when The red is almost gone. This will take down the ridges and high spots without removing any good plating . This method has worked well to restore compression in straight-gassed engines that had been pronounced dead. Pistons can also be cleaned up and used. The critical part of the piston is the trueness of the lands of the ring grooves. Grooves in the piston walls don't hurt much provided that the ridges beside the grooves are taken down. The rings almost always should be replaced.

I recently faced the same delima this winter w/2-026's,& my 066. I love working on saws,but i can honestly say i am through doing complete refurbs. I can get saws and parts at cost. Every time i go through one,it costs 200.00-300.00 more than a new saw. They are like new when i'm done,and i like the work,but it would easier to part them and buy new. I guess i enjoy the instant gratifcation of a new saw,verses they time to do a complete refurb. I am not against new rings & freshening one up,but complete refurbs are a thing of the past for me.

muratic acid worked wonders on my cylinder today, I cleaned it with cue tips making sure to only put the acid on the affected area, then wet sanded the rougher areas,the cylinder is looking good. The final test will be when I install the new piston and rings that I ordered from baileys a month ago and have yet to recieve.............. thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back