should I sell/trade my year old 461 for a 660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then I'd port the 461, sell the 028 and get a 261 C-M. 440's too good a saw; light weight with power like a Husky 372. Gotta be cutting really big wood with long bars much of the time or be in the tree service business for a 660 to earn its keep, seems to me.

Now that depends. Guys who scrounge their firewood can sometimes get a lot of wood that others don't want, because they don't have a saw capable of handling extra jumbo wood.

I would likely never need a bar longer than the 32 I have so taking that into account and the lighter weight it makes since to port the 461 and sell the 028 to help fund the port job. Since I mostly use the 440 I doubt I'd miss having a smaller saw

I would likely never need a bar longer than the 32 I have so taking that into account and the lighter weight it makes since to port the 461 and sell the 028 to help fund the port job. Since I mostly use the 440 I doubt I'd miss having a smaller saw
Sounds good. You don't need a smaller saw now; there's always later if the budget allows.

...Guys who scrounge their firewood can sometimes get a lot of wood that others don't want, because they don't have a saw capable of handling extra jumbo wood.
True. But then moving and processing those big rounds gets to be a problem unless you've got the equipment, and that extra expense might not be worth it. Then again, the OP might be one rugged dude and jacking 125+ lb. rounds around all day would be no biggie. :)

Last edited:
I haven't gotten into selling wood but I like cutting the big wood. And eventually I would like to get a side business in tree work so later on a 200t may be the way to go. Now I I can just talk mastermind into taking the 028 as partial trade for porting

True. But then moving and processing those big rounds gets to be a problem unless you've got the equipment, and that extra expense might not be worth it. Then again, the OP might be one rugged dude and jacking 125+ lb. rounds around all day would be no biggie. :)

fiskars/maul or *noodling*, no probs with any size round.. If my scrawny geezer butt can deal with 300+ lb rounds, anyone can.

but either way, I think every boy needs a 90 once in awhile...and a 70 and a..plus backups!

You need to go for the MS 660.:chainsaw: Just Because...... One of these days you may grow old like me, and be forced to take the load off yer back, but for the time being go for the gusto.

I have quite the decision to make I know. I do like the idea of having a big saw but I also like the idea of having big saw power and medium saw weight.

I haven't gotten into selling wood but I like cutting the big wood. And eventually I would like to get a side business in tree work so later on a 200t may be the way to go. Now I I can just talk mastermind into taking the 028 as partial trade for porting

I'd give you 100.00 for the 028 and pay shipping home on the 461. Beat that deal.

That's what the big saw is for, noodling them puppies, that's why I'm getting one.

I'm certainly leaning more towards getting the 461 ported. I will likely wait a couple months so I can have it to finish out cutting some more wood this winter so I can have at least a good start for next winter. But I am curious, what would be a good price on a new 660? I have seen one dealer had them for a little under $1100 I think with a 20" bar. I've seen others that had them for closer to $1300. Anybody gotten one fairly recently and mind sharing the price?

If you buy a 660, make sure to get the 660R. In addition to the 3/4 wrap handle, you also get the high output oil pump, wide clutch cover, larger dual dawgs and roller chain catcher. Even if you want a 1/2 wrap handle, sell the 3/4 and buy a 1/2. They go for $1,130 OTD here with a 25" B&C.

I'm certainly leaning more towards getting the 461 ported. I will likely wait a couple months so I can have it to finish out cutting some more wood this winter so I can have at least a good start for next winter...
Maybe someone you know has a 660 to run and compare. If it were me, though, I'd jump on MM's offer.

I would absolutely take Randys offer. The only reason I bought my 660 is because it was a one tank of fuel ran saw for an amazing price.

It is retarded for what I do with it. I would much rather have a ported 461. You will end up monies ahead so do what was advised and get yourself a 261 later.

Latest posts

Back