*Should* I try and load this into my truck???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJems

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So after the snow/windstorm that wracked the PNW, a landowner said I could have this fallen section of Garry Oak that landed on his property.

I cut some of it up for cordwood, but there was this nice 11 foot section that I thought I might be able to mill into something nice.

The thick end is 24 inches across, thin end is 22 inches. By my calculations of between 45lbs-50lbs/cubic foot for oak, this bad boy weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 1700lbs.

I know my little Toyota Tacoma w/normal springs will haul it...or will it? With the bed down, I'll have 7 of 11 feet in the bed, but with the center of gravity well behind the rear wheels.

Problems? What do you think? Just cut it up into smaller lengths? Even if I can get it into my truck safely, how can I do it without expensive hydraulic help?

sorry no pic.

but with the center of gravity well behind the rear wheels.

sorry no pic.

You already answered one of your own questions.

You will have to cut it.
You didn't mention what type of ground you are on. You may be able to use an engine hoist and sling some shorter pieces then back under it. If the ground is soft, use a piece of plywood or some blocking under the hoist. Don't try to wheel it anywhere, just use it to lift.

Easier would be three nice strong friends that have already drank a case of your beer. :)

Even with load range "C" tires, you may be okay, if your not going far. But you would be shinning for coon with the headlights on high beam!

Chaining a high-lift jack into a simple "A" frame and lifting from just a little ways from your best guess from the middle, you could raise the thick end off the ground far enough to get the truck under it. One trick is teeter-totting the log into the truck, dangerous as hell, as your basically dealing with a dead-fall trap. Or lowering the log and re-jacking the log and sliding it in. Remove the end-gate if you think it would buckle, and cut your length after it is in there if your going to, as this trick works better for longer logs.

Man rent a little uhaul trailer for the afternoon! It would at least be lower and maybe a little longer.

If you don't have far to go you should be OK. Make sure you strap the front down in the bed, and drive slow. As far as loading it, you will need some kind of jack. even a good floor jack will probably get it high enough. But why do you want 11 foot lumber? What are you going to make with it that you can't just cut it to 8 foot and save a whole lot of trouble?

If you do this please take pics! And a video of the loading process if possible.

yeah...IF I do this...

If you do this please take pics! And a video of the loading process if possible.

Why do I get the feeling you're all just plain bored this January, and need a pic/video of my silly enterprise...:jester:

Sure...I'll bet you'd like a video....ha!

The log is on plain hard ground, just next to the road. I might be able to get a chain around it and attach it to the ball on my truck and drag it about 50 feet to a better loading place. A local sawyer says I should get a ramp, anchor a come-a-long to the head of my truck bed and place round rollers (bars) underneath the log and just winch it in.

And you're right. I don't really need 11 foot lumber. Perhaps for a rough-hewn outside table for summer...that would be kind of cool.

No...seriously everyone, thank you for the good advice. I think I should fear for my tailgate, so, I'm just not sure what I'll do. A friend has a chainsaw mill and that might be the ideal solution, just whittle it away in situ.

Why do I get the feeling you're all just plain bored this January, and need a pic/video of my silly enterprise...:jester:

Well, here's a pic of my old truck with about as much load as I'd ever like to put in it. This should give you some courage!

I can do better than that....

I can do better than that, rb.

Not that it was a good idea, but...here with all the blowdown, I happened across an arborist crew who basically handed me three fir trees, all of which were 18-20" diameter, cut to stove length. All I had to do was haul it away.

Which I did...eagerly. AFter noticing that my springs were more than a bit overloaded, I got home and drug out the bathroom scale. With my GF's help, I weighed myself, then weighed each round as I unloaded it. to my shock and amusement, I loaded 2160 lbs into my little Tacoma. I know it'll take the weight. Steered kinda funny, though:blob2:

My concern about the log in question is not it's weight, per se, but it's distribution in relation to the rear axle.

Here's a picture of that log...

AFter noticing that my springs were more than a bit overloaded, I got home and drug out the bathroom scale. With my GF's help, I weighed myself, then weighed each round as I unloaded it. to my shock and amusement, I loaded 2160 lbs into my little Tacoma.

Somebody has a lot of time!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'd go the trailer route. With the truck you are going to have 8 feet of that 11 foot log behind the axle.

I can do better than that, rb.

Not that it was a good idea, but...here with all the blowdown, I happened across an arborist crew who basically handed me three fir trees, all of which were 18-20" diameter, cut to stove length. All I had to do was haul it away.

Which I did...eagerly. AFter noticing that my springs were more than a bit overloaded, I got home and drug out the bathroom scale. With my GF's help, I weighed myself, then weighed each round as I unloaded it. to my shock and amusement, I loaded 2160 lbs into my little Tacoma. I know it'll take the weight. Steered kinda funny, though:blob2:

My concern about the log in question is not it's weight, per se, but it's distribution in relation to the rear axle.

Here's a picture of that log...

True your suspension might take it, but the balance will have shifted rearward. I would not do it. How far do you need to haul it? Just go rent a small U-haul or the HD truck.

Last edited:
Dose that log have a soft spot?

As it is unclear bye the picture, i would be sinking an axe into the discolored areas.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

The log is on plain hard ground, just next to the road. I might be able to get a chain around it and attach it to the ball on my truck and drag it about 50 feet to a better loading place. A local sawyer says I should get a ramp, anchor a come-a-long to the head of my truck bed and place round rollers (bars) underneath the log and just winch it in.

And you're right. I don't really need 11 foot lumber. Perhaps for a rough-hewn outside table for summer...that would be kind of cool.

No...seriously everyone, thank you for the good advice. I think I should fear for my tailgate, so, I'm just not sure what I'll do. A friend has a chainsaw mill and that might be the ideal solution, just whittle it away in situ.

I've used a come alone to do that. But I have a 1ton dump. It would be the best way to bring it on the truck slowly but surly. If the truck stands up and you can move down the road I say do it. How far do you have to go, and are they backroads? Watch out for racoons.

rent a trailor use a comalong make the log 8ft drive slow because stoping will be hard on the breaks u should be fine

Back