*Should* I try and load this into my truck???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In two other threads there are people on this site that tell a man not to cut a leaner in his backyard because it's dangerous and he might get hurt. Hire a pro they say.

On this thread, we have advice from people telling him to go ahead and haul that log in his Toyota. Take a video and pictures! I see one person asks an important question after he says go for it. How far do you have to go? Wouldn't that be a question you'd ask before you advise?

Here we have a man that's considering putting a +/-2000# stub in the back of a compact Toyota pickup. I don't know if any of you looked, but payload capacity for a new Tacoma 4x2 regular cab is 1380#. My guess is that's centered in the bed, don't ya think? So this guy loads an 11' stub in his truck with 5' sticking out past the end of the box, that means he's got 6' inside the box. Where's the CG, on the bumper??? What's he going to tie it to? If he trys to stop or heaven forbid rearends somebody, what's going to keep that log from going right through the cab? If he blows a rear tire or breaks an axle, even at 30 mph that truck is going to go sideways and over so fast he won't have any reaction time. Then the investigation happens. His insurance isn't going to back him up, are you? In one of the other threads there was mention of liability of this site for advice given, are we going to skip that in this case?

Worst of all, those of you that are advising him to do it are telling him to risk his life and possibly others on the road. :angry:

If this were on a farm, different story. I don't think this is on a farm.

James, go get a minimum 3/4 ton pickup or a trailer that meets the load requirement. If you have a problem then, your insurance will back you up and the police won't be writing you a ticket.

Toyota + log + accident + injuries = ticket + lawsuit

I think the suggestion of a video tape is just so there will be something to send into the funniest video show and win some greenbacks, as they watch the lil' toyota have a hernia!

Seriously, moving up to an American full size truck could be a great thing for you, especially for those larger payloads you're hauling.

If you're keeping the tailgate on.. short of a front end loader you risk smashing things up a bit just getting it loaded. Tailgate off and all that weight is on the center of the back of your bed. I think your CG is just too far back, might need to find a fat guy to ride shotgun with ya. Sure the weight is not a problem for the Taco but it's awful far back, 11ft log in a 6 ft bed.

If you don't have a good way to load it I'd try to beg/borrow/steal a trailer of some kind and winch it on. If you have some way to get it up into and out of the truck, go fer two sections. Just my $.02

I have a Tacoma. Use a trailer. Or do you want a broken spring and a lot of trouble? Rent a trailer. It will pull it fine with that weight. In the bed could be rough and no joke bend the truck. Trust me, I have one and beat the crap out of it.

Mill in place, or slice with cheap tool form Baileys

Hi James, you might want to reconsider milling it in place. Especially if you have a 70 cc or larger saw. You could borrow the mill form the friend -Or-

make a simple mill for your saw from an old bar or similarly long and wide piece of steel bar thick enough to be unflexible--or-- you could buy an edger (device that lets your saw ride on a 2x6 or 2x 4 and cut more or less straight down the log)from a place like baileys and cut the log in half lengthwise using your saw.

My husky 372 xp stock with a 32 inch bar yields amill cut of 21 inches wide. it cuts a 14 foot length in about 5 minutes or so in old dry hard Oak wiht bailey ripping chain.

YMMV, but since you gonna have to mill it eventually...why not slab it onsite if you can?

Good luck, i dont think trying to move it in the bed is a good idea, heck slice the top and bottom and sides freehand to remove the cants first if you are bound and determined to load it in the toyota.

Some people's common sense is so cheap that it doesn't kick in until faced with the prospect of financial ruin.:D

Even that doesn't deter some...

attachment.php

load

i would mill it in half, and if you didn`t need it 11' cut that in half
unless you have a old beat up 3/4 ton 4x4 or beat up trailer .
odds are you may ar may not get that log on or off the truck without tearing something up.
good luck

Rent a flatbed tow truck

To the O.P., if the log is still sitting there, get a tow company that has a flatbead truck to come over and haul it onto the bed, then truck it over to your house. That is the easiest & simple way. Otherwise, you will have to find someone that has a trailer for heavy equipment that is willing to haul it for you.

hey...now there's some math worth mastering...! Thanks ChowDozer. Reality check. Yours are good words.

I've already decided to borrow a trailer. It's just not worth the risk.

James

I'm right across the water from ya over on Whidbey Island... I have a 3/4 ton GMC truck that woulda hauled that baby for ya. Need any help with storm stuff, let me know. Just a ferry ride away...:)

Gary

I'm right across the water from ya over on Whidbey Island... I have a 3/4 ton GMC truck that woulda hauled that baby for ya. Need any help with storm stuff, let me know. Just a ferry ride away...:)

Gary

Well there you go! You do know someone with a heavier truck!

Nowhere near worth the trouble and risk!
1. Rent/borrow flatbed trailer.
2. Take log to someone with a mill.
3. Pick up lumber in two loads, or get them to cut while you wait.
it's most efficient to load the lumber right off the mill.
4. Keep the slabs for firewood, next winter.
5. Stack, sticker, and cover lumber carefully.
5. Enjoy cold one and pat self on back for being careful.

Nowhere near worth the trouble and risk!
1. Rent/borrow flatbed trailer.
2. Take log to someone with a mill.
3. Pick up lumber in two loads, or get them to cut while you wait.
it's most efficient to load the lumber right off the mill.
4. Keep the slabs for firewood, next winter.
5. Stack, sticker, and cover lumber carefully.
5. Enjoy cold one and pat self on back for being careful.

But..but....but....that does away with all the macho, beat chest, swing from teh chandelier thingy. Where's the fun in that?

Harry K

I loved all my Toyotas over the years but with logs like this I realized I needed a little more! My dads Shiney new Tacoma was just out of this pic staring in envy :bowdown: at my ole 96' Ford, this was the last log of the day, 100' crane made loading it a breeze :biggrinbounce2: Hauling your log on a trailer will be way easier than trashing your Toyota, let the trailer take the weight, far easier towing 4000lbs than putting it in the back of your truck. Good luck Jon

attachment.php

Last edited:
Your friends' chainsaw mill sounds like the best and safest option I've heard so far, but that flatbed tow truck sounds easy. It may cost a little $, though

Latest posts

Back