Should I upgrade my saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKnack

Reaction score
I have a used 029 Farm Boss 18"+ runs great, use it occasionally for firewood.

I just bought roughly 2 acres of vacant land that has a bunch of trees I need to clear out. 2-3 150-200 year old burr oaks (dying and/or hanging over the road/ power lines at bad angles) roughly a dozen large hedge trees (trunks 24"-36") about a dozen large black locust trees, a couple other large hardwoods, and a whole bunch of hackberry some of which are 70'+ tall.

My local Stihl dealer is offering more in trade in than what I paid for the 029 (I bought used on craigslist) and I'd like to trade up to a 441 with a 25" bar plus an 18" bar for limbing. My FIL has an 026 that he's letting borrow for as along as I need it.

Here's the question, how big of a difference will the 441 be over the 029? Is this a "barely notice a difference" or a "029 will never get the job done" or somewhere in the middle? I don't want to spend the money if the 029 will be just fine, but I don't want to abuse a saw that just isn't suited for the work I need to do.

441 will be a huge difference but you can easily get by with the 029. go to your dealer and see if you can demo a bigger saw.

going from an 029 to a 441 will be like going from a v-6 camaro to a z06 corvette. Yeah the 029 is adaquate, but the 441 with an 18 or 20 in. bar will flat out scream. If you have the means, do the upgrade.

I cut a lot of hedge and black locust, so I would say the more power the better being as they are in the hardwoods category.

Last edited:
Or have a weekend GTG and lots of folks will show up and cut your trees. Too bad you weren't closer or i would help...Bob

Trade the 029! Imho i doubt it could handle all the trees you mentioned.at best it would take forever! Good luck

you can get it done with the 029 sure, but with the 441 and your mates 026 for the smaller stuff it will be a lot faster and more fun!

one thing though - you mentioned 2 or 3 dead/dying trees, overhanging roads and power lines... sounds like a recipe for disaster if you don't know what you are doing. I don't know how much experience you have, but unless you are 100% sure the tree is going where you want it to go then get a professional in, it's not worth the risk trying to do it yourself to save a little bit of money!

cheers,
Joe

Trade...........see if anyway you can use new saw on your taxes.

Heck get a few chickens sell some eggs and you have yourself a chicken farm.

TT

neaver run a 44 or a29 but sounds like some nice wood would you mill any of to lumber if so think about a 460 and a grandberg mill . that locust makes a purty table

go for the 441 .... if it wer me id spring for a 660 ,,, that sounds like some larger size wood and keep the 029

if you get pinched while clearing youll wish you had 2 saws

Why trade? I thought this was all about acquiring more saws?:hmm3grin2orange:

Yes, you will notice a marked difference between the saws, a huge difference!

Yes, the 029 will do the job, with more effort.

Yes, it will be harder on the saw to do it. 36" trees with an 18" bar, unless you are a pretty skilled faller, is pretty difficult to master in a safe manner. Even more so if there is a lean involved. You will have to make the face, then bore cut the center of the hinge out, then cut all the way around to get it set up properly and cut all the way through. Not a novice technique. Then if there is lean involved you risk barberchair the entire time you are cutting this. Others may be able to offer other ways, but this is how I would do it myself.

I'm lazy, I don't like to work that hard, I try to set it up so I can make the backcut in one pass as often as I can, or at least have a bar more than half as long as the tree is wide. It's just faster and safer.

So what does it all mean? Given the wood you think you want to tackle, I'd certainly either invest in the 441, or buy some books and learn some advanced falling techniques. Good and confused?

Wow, thanks for the responses. After seeing the granberg mill I'm going to have to get the bigger saw. My wife was asking me if I could make any furniture with the big trees, now I can do it.

You guys rock.

oh, and I plan on having a local tree service deal with any trees that I feel are outside of my skill. I'll just have them drop them in place instead of haul them off.

Can't go wrong with a mill the first two pics are with a 6400 and what I cut with the 6400 (red oak). The 6400 was just a little on the small side so I re-vamped the mill and put the 045av Stihl on it with a 30" bar, works much better. If you are looking for a do it all saw for what you are looking for, personally I think I would want a 70cc class saw.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

With the trees you described, go for a bigger saw.

And with your wife asking about you making some furniture, you have a great window to get an even bigger saw ;).

Don't trade just buy the other one you will need a smaller saw for limbs.

A 441 will run circles around the 290. The first saw I ever bought was a 290 with an 18'' bar. I wore out the 18'' and decided to replace it with a 20'' and the saw had a very hard time pulling the 20'' burried in hardwood. My 441 will pull a 20' with authority and up to a 28'' well. I wouldn't hesitate to trade the 290 if you are offerd more for trade than what you paid for it.

I'm agreeing with everyone else, i DO have a 441, and i've HAD a 290 (newer version of the 029) and the 441 is a MAN's saw (smallest of them... lol) and the 290 is a lil boys saw. If you were a TOTAL real man you'd get a 660 but that'd be overkill :)

Get a bigger saw its really aggravating when you dont have enough bar, or power to cut it. Wears you out fast as well. I would get a 60cc or bigger saw..

Latest posts

Back