Side Posts for Carriage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banderso

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anybody used 2" boxtube for the side posts on their bandsaw mills? I am using sections of 2-1/2" (1/4 thick) to slide up and down on them. My problem is that there is a weld bead in the 2-1/2 stock wich is causing binding. Anybody have similar issues -what did you do?

Has anybody used 2" boxtube for the side posts on their bandsaw mills? I am using sections of 2-1/2" (1/4 thick) to slide up and down on them. My problem is that there is a weld bead in the 2-1/2 stock wich is causing binding. Anybody have similar issues -what did you do?
You can either ream the weld seam off with a die grinder or order the appropriate length of trailer Receiver Tube from a trailer supply place. Receiver tubing is 2 1/2" with the weld seam removed. You can get it in lengths up to 4 feet. I get mine from Nuera/Lucky-B; 800-626-2405.

Hope this helps!

chaikwa.

You can either ream the weld seam off with a die grinder or order the appropriate length of trailer Receiver Tube from a trailer supply place. Receiver tubing is 2 1/2" with the weld seam removed. You can get it in lengths up to 4 feet. I get mine from Nuera/Lucky-B; 800-626-2405.

Hope this helps!

chaikwa.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to the bead that is found on the INSIDE of most squaretube. I'd like to see the diegrinder that can take care of that job! What I've done in the past to take care of this problem is to mark a line down the smaller piece of tubing to line up with the bead on the larger tubing, and then machining a small groove using an angle grinder with a 1/8" cutting disc. It's tedious and can take a few tries to get the groove wide and deep enough to slide smoothly over the whole length, but it works well especially if the contacting areas are greased afterwards.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to the bead that is found on the INSIDE of most squaretube. I'd like to see the diegrinder that can take care of that job!
Yes, I know what he was referring to. I often use an air powered die grinder with a 8" long grinding bit to remove that weld seam. As long as the piece you're grinding isn't longer than the bit can reach, it grinds off rather easily. A LOT less time consuming than grinding a groove into the mating part. I can take pics of the procedure if you can't quite visualize what I'm trying to say here.

But as I said, trailer receiver stock already has this weld bead removed, so that's the best option.

chaikwa.

Last edited:
To keep from buying a pc of .250 wall pipe i used 2 pcs of 3" angle and boxed it in with 2"flat. at each end.
How about a 3 or 4" outer tube lined with UHMW plastic?

Last edited:
Yes, I know what he was referring to. I often use an air powered die grinder with a 8" long grinding bit to remove that weld seam. As long as the piece you're grinding isn't longer than the bit can reach, it grinds off rather easily. A LOT less time consuming than grinding a groove into the mating part. I can take pics of the procedure if you can't quite visualize what I'm trying to say here.

But as I said, trailer receiver stock already has this weld bead removed, so that's the best option.

chaikwa.

No pics necessary - I completely understand. For one, I assumed a longer piece; and second, I've never seen an 8" die grinder bit - wouldn't flexing at the high RPM be a problem? The trailer stock is an excellent option, but in my experience is harder to find and more expensive.

I made up the outer square tube using 4 bits of flat but it was time consuming and difficult to get a good fit.

Thank's guys. I never thought of using angle or flat and I never new that reciever tube was different. I learned something today!!!!

My pieces are about 8" long so I will try to use and extension on an abrasive bit and grind my own out this time.

Latest posts

Back