Sighting In A Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wonder when the red lasers are going to become standard on the pro saws ,my stihl dealer cant keep the aftermarket ones in stock

I actually had a dream the other night that I mounted an iPhone to my saw to run this app (Theodolite) for aiming, etc:

attachment.php

Having a phone attached to the saw would let you aim and level the cuts all in one shot, order pizza, play games, and check your e-mail and stock quotes while sawing. Just remember to look up once and a while (like texting when driving).

Last edited:

Good, but I would like to add an app that tells you which side has the most branches/lean. I could use that one on some of the trees that are hard to tell on. Perhaps a wind speed/distance calculator and then when all goes bad, some suggestions of original, appropriate words to shout in different languages.

Sounds like we need a line of reversible hardhats--NEVER called helmets in the PNW woods. Because, I should think we would like to compensate for slope when trudging on said slopes. Since we can't always go one way--I like to zigzag up and down, we need reversible hardhats so we can put the stickers on whatever side needs balance compensation. Wow, so many physics problems, so little time...

I had two hardhats ready, but gave one up. For working with trail maintenance volunteers, I have one with an ALPHA Explosives sticker on it. I did plan to wear the Wildland Critters glittery sticker one when around loggers and gtgers, but contributed it to a good cause. I thought those specific stickers would help to restore harmony in two diverse groups.

Hmm must be why their makin me take physics for a forestry degree! :hmm3grin2orange: :givebeer:

Here you go

I have my saws set up a little bit different, in my old age i cant cut, shoot or even split with open sights anymore. The only problem I have now is when Im splitting kindlin i keep getting severe black eyes. Hopefully someone will have a idea on how i can save my forehead from another severe beating

253181d1347847525-0916121842-jpg
[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.arborists...ainsaw/253179d1347847519-0916121839-jpg[/IMG]

I was sure I had this tree aimed between the two trees on the left.
252875d1347667782-ppthinfenceday0001-jpg

I used the sight on my saw and thought I had it gunned to the left. Do I need to adjust the sights on my saw? Is that what the little screw thingie on the bottom of the saw is for? It looks like I'm pulling to the right a bit.

View attachment 252875

I would suggest you check your stance, if your front (lead) foot isn't square to your target line it'll cause the tree to fade to the right. This is caused by having an open stance during your follow through.
I'm left handed so the opposite happens to me.

I actually had a dream the other night that I mounted an iPhone to my saw to run this app (Theodolite) for aiming, etc:

attachment.php

Having a phone attached to the saw would let you aim and level the cuts all in one shot, order pizza, play games, and check your e-mail and stock quotes while sawing. Just remember to look up once and a while (like texting when driving).

Is that app any good? For non saw sighting that is lol

Is that app any good? For non saw sighting that is lol

Well, I may be biased because I wrote that app, but I think it works pretty good. :biggrin: It basically functions like a real surveryor's theodolite, albeit limited by the hardware accuracy of the phone's sensors/GPS -- so GPS position generally within 15 feet, compass angle within 5 degrees, and elevation/horizon angle to within 0.1 degrees. If anybody wants to try it out, PM me -- I can give you a coupon to get it from iTunes (have a few left). I often use the app to estimate height of trees, or to determine how far over they will fall when cut. There are many techniques to do that, but the easiest is to walk away from the tree in the felling direction until your aim to the top of the tree reads 45 degrees. Then you know that spot where you're standing is the equivalent ground distance.

Most of what I said before was a joke, but I really did have a dream about mounting this to a saw for aiming. I went as far as researching bike-handlebar mounts for iPhones (lots of options that will work on the saw handle) before realizing I'd also need a non-existant adjustable periscope type of lens for the iPhone if I didn't want to keep having to bend over to see the screen. In which case, you may as well just use the saw sights.

Back