Silver maple vs Hard maple - ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link Curly!

So fellers riddle me this ,, the 2 most common around here are these.. I'm thinking Surgar and Red!?

I took these tonight in my yard.

imgp3702g.jpg

imgp3705.jpg

imgp3707.jpg

imgp3710.jpg

Leaves are switched. from previous picture

imgp3714.jpg

Pretty sure the leaf on upper left is red maple. Have a lot of it here. Also pretty sure leaf on the upper right isn't sugar ( hard ) maple. Sugar maple leaves have deeper, more accute lobes, not as dark and are larger. At least that's what suger maple was like back in Ontario.

I'm not even sure what hard maple is!
Got the Latin for it?

No idea what the scientific name for it is. I do know I would pick it over any of the oaks for the really cold nights, longer burn, great heat. Not near as plentiful as oak around here though.

around here the barks look so different there is no mistaking the 2
otherwise just pick up a piece, youll know which one is sugar maple, that silver and red maple dry so fast once split, and weighs nothing, the sugar maple stays heavy as hell

around here the barks look so different there is no mistaking the 2
otherwise just pick up a piece, youll know which one is sugar maple, that silver and red maple dry so fast once split, and weighs nothing, the sugar maple stays heavy as hell

:agree2:

We have a lot of sugar and silver maple around here. The barks are very different, although a sugar can very a lot due to it's age. The young bark is usually smooth. A sugar maple has a nicer form to it, while the silver can go any which way. You can also tell when you cut into it the sugar is darker. Weight is a big difference too, silver maple when dried is feather light, and don't burn long either.

Those leaves are red maple for sure with out doubt.

Thanks for the link Curly!

So fellers riddle me this ,, the 2 most common around here are these.. I'm thinking Surgar and Red!?

I took these tonight in my yard.

imgp3702g.jpg

imgp3705.jpg

imgp3707.jpg

imgp3710.jpg

Leaves are switched. from previous picture

imgp3714.jpg

Latest posts

Back