Simonizer travels across the Atlantic !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave k

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I little while ago decided to buy some new or nearly new saw's for work and when Brad sold his 3 month old 441 that started the ball rolling. That was quickly followed by a 394 XP from Lee, due to a customer not understanding that really you have to pay for the work done ! the next saw did, for now, not happen so when one of Simon's 372's appeared I thought why not !
After a long and sometimes quite fraught thread which I follwed but made no comment on I did wonder at my decision since the saw in question has done a fair amount of work but even if it was in need of work it was priced in the right bracket.
So what's it like ? first of all I have to thank Simon for answering questions which really he did'nt have to and in fact turned work down and instead giving me part #'s to do the work localy and Dave ,thechainsawman, for being so easy to deal with.
This saw has a muff mod NOT done by Simon but the saw starts very well and when I put a 25" Oregon bar and old Stihl RSK chain it pulled like a train in anything I put it in, dry sycamore,beech and ash.
AS member WYK is due in Ireland this week so an interesting video is afoot a Snellerized 441 and 385 XP and a Simonized 372 XP
I don't care about seconds, like any man that makes his living with timber I just want power and ease of use and both these builders supply those !!

Oh, man. I can't even cheat coz I got no idea how my 385 acts in beech or ash. But, I reckon it will have enough cohones to pull the low rakered 24" skip chain I have left over from my '372 vs 066' video ;) where the 372 beat it by about 1 second. And the 7pin did just come in. Nothing against that 066 - one of my favorite saws, I just cheated is all.

Even so, nice goin on that 372! They are still one of my favorite saws I have ever run. Be good to see it in person. So ash and beech on saturday then? Er..assuming FedEX doesn't repeat last months shipping fiasco with what I just expedited to Ireland.

Do you have a photo of it in Ireland yet, though. I mean, there's no rain in that pic you put up, so obviously not been done in Ireland, mate. ;)

Well spotted Rick ! and it was in between showers Wes ! Really !!

I'll just have to take your word for it. That thing has a neat little chip deflector, too:

184177d1305493762-004-jpg

LOL! Rick!!!
REP SENT!

My saws are not in front of a Dressage arena, but a Hunter-Jumper stable! Man I am still laughing!!!!!

Good to hear the saw is working out for you Dave!!!!

I think the obligatory video is in order here. :D What y'all think?

LOL! Rick!!!
REP SENT!

My saws are not in front of a Dressage arena, but a Hunter-Jumper stable! Man I am still laughing!!!!!

Good to hear the saw is working out for you Dave!!!!

After living with a Dressage Queen (and I mean that in the nicest possible way :D) for as long as I have you tend to subconsciously note anything horsey, up to the point of reflexively commenting on conformation, riding styles, etc. :help:

It's a mixed yard with dressage, jumper and one that shows side saddle. All I know is 20 acres and 17 horses takes all my spare time !
I'll try to get a vid today but my computer skillls may be lacking when it comes to posting !

After living with a Dressage Queen (and I mean that in the nicest possible way :D) for as long as I have you tend to subconsciously note anything horsey, up to the point of reflexively commenting on conformation, riding styles, etc. :help:

I live with one of those Dressage Queens and two girls and they are all into it.Thats why i run away and cut wood.
The only thing that saves me is we only have 3 acres so there is only room for 3 horses .:msp_rolleyes:

Mum used to teach at "pony club" spoiled brats mostly.

My sister was a Dressage Queen.

I went and hid with dad.............

I was rereading my original post and it should read that is not the normal 3 port muff that Simon normaly fits that said it seems to breath just fine.

I was rereading my original post and it should read that is not the normal 3 port muff that Simon normaly fits that said it seems to breath just fine.

IIRC, I read a post where Simon said his MMs have to meet some Canadian regulatory requirement, & he can do a more 'open' MM. I'm sure Simon will be posting in this thread.

When I read the thread title I thought Simon was headed across the pond. His parents are transplanted Brits, IIRC.

Thanks Lee it's your fault that I've taken a shine to Huskys after getting that 394XP from you !
I've posted a very basic vid up on youtube and for the life of me I can't work out how to get it on here, it's under "Simonized 372XP test run" the chain on the saw has about done it's lot and the bar came with one of the 2101XP's I picked up a while ago that along with a nice hard Beech stem made for a good work out and I think it did very well. If anyone can get it on to here please do !

Thanks Lee it's your fault that I've taken a shine to Huskys after getting that 394XP from you !
I've posted a very basic vid up on youtube and for the life of me I can't work out how to get it on here, it's under "Simonized 372XP test run" the chain on the saw has about done it's lot and the bar came with one of the 2101XP's I picked up a while ago that along with a nice hard Beech stem made for a good work out and I think it did very well. If anyone can get it on to here please do !

Kind of a puny arsed tree for the test there Dave...:hmm3grin2orange:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pJPOgDhAW6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Latest posts

Back