Simonizer travels across the Atlantic !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you ripping with it? lol. I guess you could mill with it, ripping chain and 37" bar.

Simon, I'm sure you've been asked this before but what's your favourite saws to work on?

I'll go out on a limb and say Husky 390XP :D

If you say Stihl I'm unsubscribing instantly and seeking therapy...

I bet that big guy in his videos isn't even him...

Ya got me. However, unlike HBRN, whom some suspect is a 13 year old boy sitting at his father's puter, I am not human at all. I am actually a small canine. This entire time I have been posting videos of my owner, using his computer. I admit that I am a very lonely canine. You would be, too, had you an owner that was the tool that mine is. Here is a video of me that he took, which I uploaded myself at a later date after I had made a few posts on AS:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NTC5NTOivEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And here I am trying to trick my stupid owner off the computer so I can make a few posts and dload some pron:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PFPCtdzpGqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simon, I'm sure you've been asked this before but what's your favourite saws to work on?

I'll go out on a limb and say Husky 390XP :D

If you say Stihl I'm unsubscribing instantly and seeking therapy...

That is a good question actually, I don't know the answer. Sometimes a change is nice. LRD, a falling contractor in Squamish BC once ordered 16 372XP's to be modded in one shot. That made for a very tedious week. Once you have done 200-300 of each model it becomes almost a robotic task. I have definately modded more 390's and 372's than 460's or 660's. They are all nice machines even in stock form.

That is a good question actually, I don't know the answer. Sometimes a change is nice. LRD, a falling contractor in Squamish BC once ordered 16 372XP's to be modded in one shot. That made for a very tedious week. Once you have done 200-300 of each model it becomes almost a robotic task. I have definately modded more 390's and 372's than 460's or 660's. They are all nice machines even in stock form.

That's truely interesting. Would seem to indicate the loggers around you prefer the Huskys. Wonder if that is true across the industry?

The 660 is a great saw but the vibration is still an issue. The 460 is an awesome saw for 77 cc's. The 390 is good and smooth but still has the pto side crank bearing issues. The 372 is sweet, it is a giant killer. You must bide your time and await the results of the gtg on the 18th of June.

The 660 is a great saw but the vibration is still an issue. The 460 is an awesome saw for 77 cc's. The 390 is good and smooth but still has the pto side crank bearing issues. The 372 is sweet, it is a giant killer. You must bide your time and await the results of the gtg on the 18th of June.

One of the reasons I switched from my 046mag to a 372xp and then a 385xp was the vibration. Maybe the kids and some of the more stout loggers can take hours of that stuff a day, but it was wearing on me. It got to where my hands tingled at night. I suspect I also hold the saw too tightly and push a lot on them. In any case, once I switched to a 372xp I had less joint problems from my hands all the way up to my elbows. Even my shoulders were less sore after a day of swinging it around VS the 046mag. So, for some folks, the vibration makes a bigger difference.

Another thing to note is that Europe now has exposure levels for vibration. According to at least one web site I have found, the daily exposure limit for a Stihl MS660 is 3.7 hours, and that's it for the day. They aren't enforced very strictly in some countries, and not at all here in Ireland far as I can tell, but I am sure some unions and labor rights groups would use it as a bargaining chip. So, since the two largest saw manufacturer's are based in Europe, I am sure this has an effect on their engineering designs and marketing.

The 460 seems to be quite a bit smother than the 660. Both are great saws but like you said, at the end of the day it is nice to feel your fingers.

Latest posts

Back