Since it's poll season, let's look at the 50cc class saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What 50cc class "pro saw" do you like, or which one would you get?

• Stihl MS260

Votes: 62 35.4%
  • Husky 346XP (old model)

Votes: 29 16.6%
  • Husky 353

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • Jonsered 2152

Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dolmar 5100S

Votes: 50 28.6%
  • Shindaiwa 488

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.3%

• Total voters
Yep, but slimmer and lighter.....:)

The 5100S is more versatile though, as it has an inboard clutch.

I really like both, no verdict so far (and it will depend on what you need to do, anyway).

..as an allround saw, the MS361 will be better than both.....

Last edited:
Stihl MS 260 PRO

Stihl Ms 260 PRO :chainsawguy: :chainsawguy: Light Cuttin with 20" bar and full skip chain:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Well I'm feeling a little like a lone wolf here. I guess I will be the only one who voted for the lowly 488. Well if the truth be known I probably wouldn't have bought one either, probably would have bought a MS260, but $499 for a 260 verses $300 for a brand new 488, well that was a easy choice for me. I guess I'm a little frugal, after all I still drive a '81 Volkswagen diesel pickup to work every day, but it gets 45mpg.;)

5100 vote

I have used 346's alot and I have nothing but praise and respect for them,I worked for a company clearing,we ran the crap out of them and they just cut fast and took a beating.
that being said I like the 5100 a little more,because of the power and smoothness.
now troll with that new edition,sounds like either saw would be a toss up.

I have used 346's alot and I have nothing but praise and respect for them,I worked for a company clearing,we ran the crap out of them and they just cut fast and took a beating.
that being said I like the 5100 a little more,because of the power and smoothness.
now troll with that new edition,sounds like either saw would be a toss up.

I voted for the 5100S, as that was the saw of my choise, based on AS info - but for obvious reasons I have not tried Trolls new NE 50cc 346 yet. :cry:

..but my time will come, I shall get well...:clap: :clap:

What exactly are the differences between the new and old 246xp? I was thinking about buying one and want to find out if I want an old one or a new one. Also some one said one has 50cc and the other one doesnt,Where can you find the info on this, thanks Chub

Latest posts

Back