skidder vs dozer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there's a Cat dealer nearby they can take care of the oil analysis. Cummins or most any other engine shop can too but I've had good luck with Cat. Metal traces in the oil can mean different things to different engine guys. The Cat guys would be in the best position to analyze the analysis.

I got a message from a feller with a 440b wants 10k for it says its working daily, well maintained.
I'm thinking dozer too Versatile, not good for long skids though. Opening /closing jobs, waterbars, and the other work you mentioned. How much is she asking?

She's asking for 10 im gonna try and get it for 8. and yea I'm thinking it's versatility is good cause odd jobs will help keep afloat when other things are slow.

I skid with a D4.

4x4 American, not knowing the year but I'll give you a tip on the best way to appraise used equipment. Go to Machinery Trader or Rock and Dirt. Select auction results. You said it was an older one. That could be an '57 or a '80 like mine. You can narrow it down, though. For auctions on several hundred machines all years, you'll get results like those below.

You Searched For: Manufacturer = CATERPILLAR; Model = D4
Auction Prices Equipment For Sale Prices
Total number of listings found:690
Highest price found:US $130,000
Lowest price found:US $1,000
Average price:US $27,596
Average w/out High & Low: $27,485

Narrow it down for just the years between years 1970 and 1986 it is like this. (You have to select, "High Low Average," after you complete a search.)

You Searched For: Manufacturer = CATERPILLAR; Model = D4; Year From = 1970; Year To = 1986
Total number of listings found:55
Highest price found:US $70,000
Lowest price found:US $2,500
Average price:US $11,829 US
Average w/out High & Low: US $10,907

I won mine playing poker but hope this helps.

I had the same issue with my inj pump. When they took it apart there were other things wrong. I told em to rebuild it, cost me a grand. Injectors probably need wotk too. Get it started and warm and check to see how much oil is coming out of the breather. I'd be reluctant to pull the trigger on anything thats been sitting that long. Turning wrenches gets old when you're trying to make money. I would plan on several thousand after purchase price for parts/repairs.

I'm retired so I can pick and choose the jobs I take on. I've got an old Ford F600 dump truck, a nice heavy trailer to tow behind it, an '85 Ford backhoe and a 1951 Cat D4 with 4A blade and D4N winch. I do a bit of dirt work from time to time as well as taking the D4 and doing a bit of skidding with it for some local folks. Terrain here is anything but flat, closest to flat would run 12-15% and goes up from there. Usually fairly short skids but occasionally steep ground and that's where the D4 and winch shine. Good all around versatile machine, not as fast or powerful as newer stuff and shows it's age but it does about anything I want.

I had looked at a Timberjack skidder once but decided on the D4 instead.

I skid with a D4.

4x4 American, not knowing the year but I'll give you a tip on the best way to appraise used equipment. Go to Machinery Trader or Rock and Dirt. Select auction results. You said it was an older one. That could be an '57 or a '80 like mine. You can narrow it down, though. For auctions on several hundred machines all years, you'll get results like those below.

You Searched For: Manufacturer = CATERPILLAR; Model = D4
Total number of listings found:690
Highest price found:US $130,000
Lowest price found:US $1,000
Average price:US $27,596
Average w/out High & Low: $27,485

Narrow it down for just the years between years 1970 and 1986 it is like this. (You have to select, "High Low Average," after you complete a search.)

You Searched For: Manufacturer = CATERPILLAR; Model = D4; Year From = 1970; Year To = 1986
Total number of listings found:55
Highest price found:US $70,000
Lowest price found:US $2,500
Average price:US $11,829 US
Average w/out High & Low: US $10,907

I won mine playing poker but hope this helps.

Hey thanks alot! That's a great game of poker! It's a D4e, 1980's

That dude hauled a D4 with a dodge pickup. Mines a 24 valve. Not sure I'd even try to haul it. It aint about the go as much as it's about the whoa. Lots a steep grades and hairpin turns around here.

Please don't

D4 is minimum 2 Ton truck territory: Ive seen it done with a 1 ton, but not safely, and not for long.

So I was talkin with a local logger today and he's got a TJ 230 he'll sell to me for $10k. Which aint a bad price for a 230 round here, which got me thinkin whats wrong with it. He claims nothing, it's in use everyday. He's got 4 skidders and doesn't need all of them so is looking to downsize. He's not in a huge rush to sell it. It's got the 4 spd manual trans, 3-53 detroit, tires and chains are good he said. I gotta go look at it, hopefully some time this weekend I can make it out to the header and check her out.

I talked with 2 local loggers about that old dozer. One told me he started out with a dozer (im pretty sure most old timers did) but he had that undercarriage shot after 6 months from skidding over all the ledge that's around here. The other guy told me he looked at that D4 and said its junk because of the old style rear sprockets they are 1 piece and you have to take out the whole final drives or something to change em and the shaft costs $5400 to get and you can't find this or that...well I lost him after a bit.

Anyways, $10k for a TJ 230 I don't think I can go wrong.

while i am not a fan of 200 series jacks, that is about inline up there for small cable skidders. used to be cheap around here but the junk man scarfed up every thing that weren't rolling.

If its working daily, and on the job, take her for hot lap, maybe pull of couple of turns, if she feels good then jump on it.

The old jacks are supposed to be easy to find parts for, Detroits are everywhere, and the rest of the parts are off the shelf at NAPA... usually...

4x4, Parts for those older D4's are usually available from your local Cat dealer, even parts going back to the earlier ones (40's and 50's) can be found at your local dealer. Yes, they're one piece sprockets but to replace 'em that can be done by someone with the appropriate tooling and portable presses, no need to full the finals. Or, sprocket rims are available from Cat as well and all it takes is a good welder who pays attention to detail.

For other odds and ends, there are numerous yards that specialize in used parts all over the country.

If the undercarriage is worn out and the rest of it is in good shape, at a low enough price (think scrap) it might be worth putting the money into new sprocket rims and track chains.

Thanks NM and Ol' Grump.

I'm going to go look at that skidder asap. While I like the idea of the dozer being more versatile, I would prefer a skidder. There's lots of steep ground round here and in the winter time I'd rather be on a skidder with chains than a dozer with tracks...tracked machines have a tendency to take off.

How's the old Missus NM?

Latest posts

Back