skidder vs dozer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man I had 2 372k demo saws that I got for free and I traded them for some help working on my pickup truck to my buddy. I have been kickin myself for that shoulda traded just one.

TS I gotta say I'm surprised there isn't a rigging shop nearby that can make cable straps with eyes. If they can do that then they can press dog knobs on if they had the knobs. You could go old school and babbitt em lol
i wish there was...........used to be alot more stuff around here..........was a place in delaware not long ago had a press that would make stuff if you had the slides..........he gone out to now.

Ten4 . Over here in ID I'm like a fish out of water with the industrial supply. Closest stuff is Lewiston but even then I don't know who or where to even try looking. Back home I have great industrial supply options. It's just a lot of the residents could go away and I'd be happy.

Looking to hear some opinions on logging with a dozer vs a skidder? gypo operation im talking about here. cant seem to find a decent skidder for my price range. theres an older d4 w/ hyster winch in pretty decent shape down the road for more my budget. The setbacks that I see are- 1: needs to be moved w/ a trailer always. 2: doesn't have log arch. 3: undercarriage can be expensive. 4: not as maneuverable as a skidder. Plusses I can see- 1: Will move wood for cheaper than a skidder. if undercarriage lasts me long enough that I've pulled enough wood to pay for itself and maybe some of the parts for it i'm happy. 2: better for building roads. 3: I can hire myself out as a dozer owner/op if need arises. 4: old cat dozers will go through hell and back, they are tried and true.

Thanks!
I have been skidding with a dozer for 40 years,[started with my uncle percy sowle]he had a td 15,also a 2 tiberjacks, now for the last 20 years I still skid with dozer, I have an 2012 john deere 650 110 hrs power, I don't run it hard but I put a lot of wood out when im logging,[I would rather skid with d-4-john deere 450-dresser td 8-9 they are smaller with plenty of power,and can be purchased cheaper on used market,i speced mine out new,i mainly use it for excavating,but I wish boght a 700lgp,they will move twice the dirt,the 700 out weights the 650 but the 650 has a ton of power and dosnt put it to the ground, the tracks spin to fast,anyway im logging with a friend with a 1984 cat 518 and he pulls some good turns,but im always cleaning up after him,i don't sink in and rut the roads up,if your just going to log try an older john deere-cat-tree farmer-clark-timberjack, many 15-25 year old skidders can be had for 8k-15k depending on year and condition,stay away from anything overworked-and abused, good luck-if you need a dozer dresser td 8 td9 cat d3 d4 john deere 450-550 or case 850,is good size,good power,

Latest posts

Back