skidder vs dozer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick knobs, takes about 20 mins to replace one and ya loose less cable in the process, a knot generally burns a foot or two of line, along with whatever goes with the breakage, where the quick knob only looses about a foot if you catch it early.

Just need a hammer and a flat punch to fix em, maybe a grinder or cable cutter if you want it to look nice. (an old axe in a stump works but is less then safe...)

I've found the the knots tended to break and crap out fairly quick anyway, or they never got tied correctly so I'd have to redo it you know after all the sliders had come off... total pain in the ass...

The quick knob is more or less infinitely reusable, unless ya loose part of it, but they do sell replacement wedges...

That cable repair sounds like something I'd be interested in... I've been looking for quick nobs on line and I've found nothing... Do you have a link??

Thanks, SR

100_1572.JPG this thing..........the wedges are shaped so one strand goes in each grove, the ferrule is cone shaped so it gets tighter as you pull........its a little tricky to get started right.
northman can chime in here if i got it wrong.

Looks good, give the wedges a little tap with a punch to really seat them, then once you pull on something they set good and solid, cable should break before they slip.

Getting them apart can be a chore, cut em off clean on both sides and use a punch from the small end, helps to have something solid with a hole in it to rest in on... like a waist high stump... or the end of a log... Then just reassemble.

Only bummer is they only work on the regular 6x?? stuff no 8x?? hoisting wire, which I have a pile off...

it helps... a little... mostly out of paranoia... if you give the wedges a good tap the wire doesn't seem to pull through much if any.

My first few attempts at this I just sorta threw it together and crossed my fingers... only pulled about 1/2" or so without any tapping... of course it took about an hour that first time since I hadn't figured on needing to sieze the wire so I sorta chased my tail a bit...

Winch line is why I picked up a TS 400 hot saw... cutting cable with an axe gets old quick, especially alone, position-smack-reposition-smack-reposition-miss- reposition-smack-reposition-falls off-re, falls off (leave hurt something inanimate) reposition-smack...

I use the same size knob that ya see in Slayers pics, on 3/4 cable, much larger then the holes in most sliders, even the big loop style get caught by these, they also make a larger size knob that is like 2" in diameter or so, if it don't stop the slider you need to get different sliders...

I've gone away from the big hole sliders seems like they tear up the cable faster. even if they are easier to work with.

TS I gotta say I'm surprised there isn't a rigging shop nearby that can make cable straps with eyes. If they can do that then they can press dog knobs on if they had the knobs. You could go old school and babbitt em lol

I know. Was just saying you would think there would be a rigging outfit that has a press, just maybe not the proper knobs for ends. The quickknobs be handy though. Lots of droplines on yarders have a quickknob on em with a hook and seem to hold just fine.

The old man is wanting one of those cut-off saws too, doesn't want one bad enough for new though lol

I got two, one is in pretty bad shape, had to rebuild the other, bearings, seals, p+c, carb still needs a looking at but i runs long enough for my needs.

Second one needs all of the above and a top handle assm as well as whatever else I stole off of it..., carb should be ok... like that helps...

Latest posts

Back