Slide saw ready to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job Leroy!
Would love to see more Pics of that setup also, and how it works out for ya. I use a Logosol Big Mill Basic, which is the cheaper version of the M7. Is a rail type mill also. Yours looks to be very well built and strong! Good luck with it and keep us updated as to your progress! and with plenty of pics too!!! LOL:)

Gregg

Leroy did you make that yourself?

Yes, I made it in my shop. I did use some of the design of Manfred's mill as well as basic Logsol and other ideas.

Thanks for the nice words. I'm anxious to get it going. Won't be tomorrow, have to go down in SE Missouri to pick up brick. It's about a 12 hr. trip.

Yes, I made it in my shop. I did use some of the design of Manfred's mill as well as basic Logsol and other ideas.

Thanks for the nice words. I'm anxious to get it going. Won't be tomorrow, have to go down in SE Missouri to pick up brick. It's about a 12 hr. trip.

Mine looks like a lump of crap compared to your setup mate , so will you swap me:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:Looks great Leroy . Cheers MM

Leroy I don't know what you know about 039s/390s. I'll assume you don't know and I'd like to see you get alot of miles out of your saw. First off these saws are not pro saws more of a midrange/ plastic case, homeowners grade saw and not really thought of as a milling saw. They do crank out lot's of power-I use mine on my RipSaw but they slice pretty quick(bandsaw), when compared to chain milling. Driving a 3/8's chain is much harder on a saw. So you need to do what you can to help it run cooler. If I was to mill with one I would use top quality oil at 40:1 like Stihl oil and set the high speed(when warmed up) rich just so it blubbers a little. If you stihl have the 3/4 limiters in I'd pull those out so you have full adjustment of your Hi/Lo speed screws. Also would do a muffler mod to help it breathe better too like this:http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1504446#post1504446
There are lot's of oil threads and muffler mod threads/posts on this site if you do a search. Would like to see you get lot's of milling done and if you already know all of this then disregard and happy milling! :popcorn:

Leroy I don't know what you know about 039s/390s. I'll assume you don't know and I'd like to see you get alot of miles out of your saw. First off these saws are not pro saws more of a midrange/ plastic case, homeowners grade saw and not really thought of as a milling saw. They do crank out lot's of power-I use mine on my RipSaw but they slice pretty quick(bandsaw), when compared to chain milling. Driving a 3/8's chain is much harder on a saw. So you need to do what you can to help it run cooler. If I was to mill with one I would use top quality oil at 40:1 like Stihl oil and set the high speed(when warmed up) rich just so it blubbers a little. If you stihl have the 3/4 limiters in I'd pull those out so you have full adjustment of your Hi/Lo speed screws. Also would do a muffler mod to help it breathe better too like this:http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1504446#post1504446
There are lot's of oil threads and muffler mod threads/posts on this site if you do a search. Would like to see you get lot's of milling done and if you already know all of this then disregard and happy milling! :popcorn:

Big Jake, thanks for the pointers. I don't in any way profess to know all the ins and out of the saw. I came by the 390 by defalt so to say. Had a buddy who has a sil what was into logging who sold everything except the 390. He owed me a $$ so I wound up with the saw??? I've got my eye on a 441 that is at the dealer. So far they haven't shot me a good enough deal. I'll prob. not do to much to this saw, including a lot of milling prior to a chance to trade it for a larger saw.
Thanks Leroy

Back