small chainsaw recommendation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out the Shindaiwa 377. It may suprise you.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Don't know too much about the 420 Dolly.

Dolmar 420 is a light little saw that is built like a pro saw. Has an adjustable carb and a is not a plastic crankcase like most other small saws. And it is real easy to remove the cat if you should choose to. Price is real competitive too.
And it is an easy starter.

Hey J.D. what will a 420 set a guy back? Do you know what they weigh?

Al :clap:

go for the echo cs-370, ligh weight very good anti-vibe, and features the i-30 starting system which reduces starting by 30 percent

Holy Crap!

PS-420
Displacement

42 cm³ (2.6 cu. in)
Power rating

2.0 kW (2.9 bhp)
Net weight

4.8 kg (10.56 lbs)

and I think they are around $275, not positive on price.

That's some pretty sweet HP out of 42cc's!! Are you going to have on at the GTG?? I'd like to run that!

Al :clap::clap:

another nod for the 435, just don't try the 346 and you will be happy as a clam:) the 435 is soo light and every bit as handy as the 346 but does not cut nearly as fast but that's why it costs half the price:greenchainsaw:

Im looking for a smaller chainsaw mainly lighter for when im limbing and also cutting smaller trees. Im looking for suggestions on a saw to fit my needs mainly because I have a bad back and I can feel my larger 20" husky when I have been bent over cutting for more than 15 minutes or so.. so any suggestions are much appreciated.. thanks...

Sounds like my back. One thing that helps me is my "Back Thing" from ruoutside

My 345 is my lightweight saw. It has a 16" laminated bar (light) and .325 chain. Since it's no longer available I'd look at the 435 as it is even lighter yet. The 346 is an awesome choice too. It will outperform my 345 at similar weight and would be my choice if it fit the budget.

I really like my solo 637 for limbing. I seem to grab for it as soon as I get into the small limbs while bucking. If tophandles are not for you, I also like my 021. These are both around 12-14" bar saws. Don't try and dog either of them in and they are great. Once you feel how easy it is with a tophandle, I'll be surprised if you don't like it for what you are looking for.
Chad

Just used for the first time today a homelite xl. Fun little saw to run.

Kinda slow compared to many but the two trigger is nice. One of those little fun saws.

Good luck on your choice. I think I have $40 into it with a new bar and chain:)

Teeny Tiny

For a real small saw I would second or third the Dolmar 420. Still regretting not getting that one instead of the ms170. Way too many mods to a 170 to get close to the 420.

Edit: Apologies, the saw I was refering to was the older ps401 2.3hp 8.8#, all of the newer small Dolmars are a little fat IMO.

Last edited:
Do you own one so you can shed some light as to the 211's benefits??
I'm interested in what makes them better than say the MS170.

Al:cheers:

the gain over the 170 is that it is bigger and its also a strato saw.

Now let me say i do have a 170 and i use the crap out of it. Its given me nothing but reliable service. always starts easy will work as long as you want too and then some. The 170 has a lot of b/c options if you put an adjustable carb and do a muff mod on it. One guy on here has his ported and runs 325 pitch.(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) As for me no i just run the darn thing. Put a dog on it and away you go.

nomak,

The Husky 435 seems to get awsome reviews on this forum. I don't think I've seen one single complaint about this saw.

nomak,

The Husky 435 seems to get awsome reviews on this forum. I don't think I've seen one single complaint about this saw.

well hate to ruin everybodys day but if that saw runs a mini 3/8 then it might as well be yellow catch my drift not saying its not a decent saw never ran one but i have owned 142 136 141 huskys and i could rob a lot of parts off poulan pros of the same cc wheres it made?

If your not on a tight budget the 346xp hands down! If your on a tight budget the little 180 Stihl after mm is an exceptional small saw, we've beat the hell out of one for about four or five years and it's still going. Just depends on how small is.

Back