Small rear handle limbing saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your looking for a pro saw look at the ms260, when my 026 dies that's what i'll replace it with.

Last edited:
Red - been reading the glossy brochures recently? Maybe you've been rolling wacky weed in them?

Unheard of tolerances? give me a break... :bang: :bang: :bang:

"but Cliff, your 360T is still running? After a year? That's incredible, down here they develop death-rattles and self-destruct within weeks(not joking) but that gutted muffler and revised jetting sounds like it's saving the day on that score,"

That really doesn't surprise me. As we mentioned several times, without exception all of the Echo saws we have obtained were not well tuned right out of the box.

The basic list includes the following models:

CS-300
CS-301 (2)
CS-3450
CS-360T
CS-440
CS-510 (2)
CS-670
CS-800

The most unimpressive were the reed valve engine top handle models, kept one in the tool box of the truck for emergencies, and one is still at my dad's house.

The CS-440 we had was simply an OK saw. The 510's are exellent, we have ran the crap out of them, no problems.

The CS-800 was a "stretch" for Echo, big, heavy, smooth/flat power curve, but honestly I wasn't overly impressed with it anyplace for that large of a saw.

The CS-670 is decent, but not nearly as strong as our Husky 268XP Special. I'm going to muffler mod the 670 today and give it another go at it.

The CS-360T was not much right out of the box. Biggest problems, chain, carb setting(s), and rev limiter. It would free rev up over 14,500rpms, then the rev limiter would come it, it would "two stroke", and then try to clean back up in the cut.

My instincts told me it was WAY lean, as I could feel the power go down as the engine saw some load.

I fattened it up considerably, down to about 10,000rpm's, to a point where it was "four stroking" heavily, then slowly make cuts with it at full load, and lean it up between cuts. It continued to improve with each cut, then the rev limiter starter coming in just about the time the A/F ratio was at it's optimum point. This is the confusing part, and no doubt why they see so many engine failures. We went BACK to the last setting where it made best power without hitting the limiter, and ran it for several months, no problems.

I still felt there was a LOT of power left on the table, so one evening after work I sawed the muffler in half, removed the catalyst, and opened up the internal ports to 5/16" each. I only removed a very small amount of material from the actual exit in the muffler.

We were quickly rewarded with more power clear across the loaded rpm range. As expected, some additional fuel was required from the high speed curcuit. Just like the first time we tuned it, the rev limiter comes in and throws a BIG monkey wrench into the procedure. It's very difficult, if not darned near impossible to distinguish the fine line between a correct carb setting and the rev limiter coming in. This happens right up near 14,000rpm's, and as many know, being off just a tad at those rpms and you can quickly "smear" some aluminum over the ring(s), and end up with a pile of JUNK!

I don't like bragging about stuff, as I think it's more professional to just post the facts and let folks sort it out on there own. I will say, for $180, the CS-360T rivals any top handle saw I've ever used, Husky or Stihl at any level. It is however, heavy, and somewhat "bulky".

Just a little story, then I'll sit down. Recently we had a BIG storm go thru here, trees down everyplace. I was hired to cut up an HUGE beech tree. A contractor was on site doing some work for the homeowner, with a skidder and two helpers. Since we were splitting the "pot", my job was to cut, his job was to haul off the wood.

I showed up with the 55, 480CD, 262XP, and the CS-360T. I went after tree armed with the 360T, it literally had hundreds of limbs and branches having grown up it someones back yard. I cut up the entire tree with the 360T, right down to where we had the bar buried and were working our way up the trunk. The saw finally sputtered and ran out of fuel. The contractor and his two helpers could bareley keep up hauling the wood away. He even commented on how impressive the little saw worked.

I've been trying as hard as I can to blow up the little Echo, using it on every outing, and cutting it no slack anyplace. It just keeps on going, and seems to be running even better now that we have considerable time on it.....Cliff

Latest posts

Back