Small saw you decide.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What ever saw wins I'll buy.

• Stihl MS211

Votes: 65 35.1%
  • Dolmar 401

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Dolmar 420

Votes: 38 20.5%
  • Efco 39cc saw from Bailey's

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Echo CS 310

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 46 24.9%

• Total voters
I like the Redmax3800 better than the Dolmar401. I highly recommend the little Max. First Max was $130 used. Second was $200 new. I still have not gassed it.

Last week I bought a new Dolmar420 off Ebay. It was $226 plus $10 shipping. I am still getting familiar with it. Compression is very close to 200psi with just one tank of fuel.

I voted other.

Hey Termite and I bought the other one for the same price just got it today!
I think the 420 is not a bad saw don't like the 3/8 low pro chain for a saw that has 2.9 hp also the cat muffler needs to be fixed.

I got the Ryobi here:
http://www.toolsnow.com/ryobi-gas-chainsaw.html

I have to say that their Customer Service sucked. UPS apparently lost an entire pallet (???) of stuff they shipped during the big Xmas Midwest storm, but I got no info from them other than myself bothering them every day or 2. So if you have no troubles, then great, but if it doesn't go well, then start in on them quickly.

I'm still workig on tuning the saw, but it seems to cut well. First saw I've ever tuned, so I 'm on the learning curve here...

-Dave

I vote for other! Buy a good used S25DA Poulan for 30$-50$ and use the rest of the money to buy a pickup truck load of BEER!:hmm3grin2orange:

:cheers:
Gregg,

If you know me or Nik, you'd know that the whole beer thing is in fact very very tempting.:cheers:

Well I've added up everything posts, emails and whatnot. It looks like the 211, Redmax 3800 and the dolmar 420 are neck and neck. I originally meant to include Redmax, but I was in a bit of a hurry when I made this thread, that never works out too well.;)

The 420 looks like a strong saw, but on paper it's seems way too heavy for it's power.

All the Ryobi saws look to be reconditioned, I'm not interested in a reconditioned saw.

Mike no mater what I'll get a 401 someday, it's only a mater of time.:ices_rofl:

I will stand buy my word, if the 211 comes out on top I will buy one, and I'm sure my dealer will give me a good price.

Last edited:
You have 10 saws listed. $100 to play with the Ryobi seems like chump change, so to speak. Burn it up, for all that matters. It cuts well (open the muffler) and is light as a feather.

Well I've added up everything and it looks like the 211 and a Redmax are neck and neck.

I might be wrong but I'd say most of the other votes are for the husky 435, not the Redmax. That being said, the Redmax and Dolmars are constructed just like a "pro" saw we are used to. I agree on the heavy 420, looks to be a great saw other than that.

I do not know if the EFCo MT4000s come with a decomp now or not but the dealer here that was selling EFCO said that the older generation was having trouble starting them because of the compression.

The MT4000 feels like the heaviest almost 9 pounds in the world. Decent power but I would rather run a small Echo for the $.

The dealer no longer sells them.

OK I went over everything again and this is what I came up with. I'm including all Ryobi votes as Redmax votes.

8 For Redmax.
3 for the Husky 435 and one for the 440.

Should I start a new poll with the Redmax and Husky saws? It would improve the accuracy.

Because I've owned several Echo products, and they've all been excellent running, and very durable. I think they're better than most on this site would like to admit.

Not a bad saw at all, I'd put 'em a step ahead of the pullons and some of the junk sold at lowes. Most of their models just don't make any power on the same level as the "big 3". They make a heck of a trimmer though.:D

If you know me or Nik, you'd know that the whole beer thing is in fact very very tempting.:cheers:

Well I've added up everything posts, emails and whatnot. It looks like the 211, Redmax 3800 and the dolmar 420 are neck and neck. I originally meant to include Redmax, but I was in a bit of a hurry when I made this thread, that never works out too well.;)

The 420 looks like a strong saw, but on paper it's seems way too heavy for it's power.

All the Ryobi saws look to be reconditioned, I'm not interested in a reconditioned saw.

Mike no mater what I'll get a 401 someday, it's only a mater of time.:ices_rofl:

I will stand buy my word, if the 211 comes out on top I will buy one, and I'm sure my dealer will give me a good price.

To me, you're talking about those saws in the 9-9.5 lbs range. The 420 is a little heavy, but it's one of those saws you have to run to appreciate. Never the less, I'd still rule it out due to weight. I tried the Shiny 477 was it? It was probably the best built little saw I tried, but couldn't keep up with the others. The fastest I had was the Redmax 3800 and Ryobi/Redmax 400. I did not own the 3800 any longer when I had the Ryobi here, so I can't comment on which one would win a race. They're both pro-style built saws with vertically split mag cases and bolt on cylinders. Out of the box, the 3800 is the weakest saw you'll ever run. Once you mod it, it's a contender for fastest in class. The Ryobi is stronger out of the box, but benefits greatly from mods as well.

So, IMHO, you're really looking at two different classes of saws. That is, the 211 and 420, and the 3800 and 400/4000. One saw I haven't yet checked out is the Redmax 4500. It looks to be only a few ounces heavier than the 400/4000, yet has more power yet.

Votes are convincingly for the 211. You said you would honor the votes. When you gonna post some pics of the new 211?

BTW, I have a chocolate stout brewing in the basement. The OCM will have to get together soon ;)

And blowers, however I agree most Echo products lack power.:cheers:

I would look at the latest generation of Echo saws, I believe you will be impressed with the power (I believe the gained some good Engineers from their recent merger)

009L The little barker: top handle, 14" bar, RCS chain, THE climber, and go-to for getting out of jams. Backpack baby.

Why no mention....too old ?:newbie::angry:

JMNSHO

Where's the Redmax made? I hadn't heard of that brand until just recently. Is it some kind of Chinese saw?

Redmax is a brand name for Zenoah of Japan. (like Datsun used to be a brand used by Nissan) Husky owns them now.

AFAIK, the GZ400, which is the homeowner version of the GZ4000, is the only one that's made in China. The GZ400 cylinder says ZENOAH JAPAN on it, I think it's the Japanese engine assembly of the GZ4000 wrapped inside Chinese plastic housings and assembled in China.
The Craftsman Professional appears to be the GZ4000, which explains why it's about $100 more than the Ryobi 10532 used to sell for at Home Depot.

The OP could have a new 10532 delivered to Cinci for $160, but if I were him I'd go for the refurb now that you can get them for $90 plus $15 shipping. If he could find a G3800 or PS-401 for under $200 I'd go for those too. I've seen new G3800s go cheap on eBay in the past, but you'd wait a long time to find one.

Last edited:
So has anyone here ever tried the GZ4500? It's 44cc and still only weighs 9.6 lbs, only 0.1 more than the GZ400. Seems like a no brainer to me. We already know how the cheap little GZ400 performs.

Another thing about this pole...I'd love to know how many people voted for a saw they've never even run? Just a thought:dizzy:

I have ask this question before. What about the Solo643IP. It has good numbers, 2.7hp and 9.02lbs.

Has anyone ever tried one?

I have ask this question before. What about the Solo643IP. It has good numbers, 2.7hp and 9.02lbs.

Has anyone ever tried one?

That definately looks like an interesting saw. I'd love to see one. SPECS

solo-643-semi-professional-chainsaw.jpg

Latest posts

Back