Small saw you decide.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What ever saw wins I'll buy.

• Stihl MS211

Votes: 65 35.1%
  • Dolmar 401

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Dolmar 420

Votes: 38 20.5%
  • Efco 39cc saw from Bailey's

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Echo CS 310

Votes: 8 4.3%
  • Other

Votes: 46 24.9%

• Total voters
435 will be 2lbs lighter than your 346 with full bar oil and fuel tanks on both.

attachment.php

attachment.php

:cheers:

That little woods ported redmax 3800 that was at the Ohio gtg was a runner and lighter then the woods ported ryobi redmax 400 that was there and out cut it and the woods ported stihl 200 rear handle that was there too.

I liked the lighter weight saw with the woods porting 3800. :clap::cheers:

Last edited:
JMO

Stihl MS211…. Real nice Homeowner saw.

Dolmar 401….. The only viable option on your list for a light weight professional saw. Can’t take anything away from it, but I think the Redmax is the better option.

Dolmar 420….. If you’re gonna carry this kinda weight might as well get a MS260 or use your 346.

Efco 39cc saw from Bailey's….. Another homeowner grade saw, and from a player that hasn’t made a headline since…. Wait, when did they ever make any headlines????? :dunno:

Echo CS 310….. Not even a nice homeowner saw :laugh:…. No matter what they tell you in the commercials…. It’s a homeowner saw. ;)

Like I said my vote goes for the little Redmax 3800. :clap:

or

GZ4000 (Ryobi) if you like/want the strato version.

intersting dealer opinion on echo

I too am looking for a small saw for carving purposes. I stopped by a local stihl dealer to check out the ms180. The dealer also sells echo saws. He told me if it were him buying he would go with the echo 310 over the small stihl saws. He said he sells lots of both and has had fewer problems with the echo. He also said that from the ms 250 and up stihl was the go to saw. Not trying to start anything and not necessarily my opinion as I have never ran an echo saw just passing along what a stihl/echo dealer told me.

JMO

Dolmar 401….. The only viable option on your list for a light weight professional saw. Can’t take anything away from it, but I think the Redmax is the better option.

Dolmar eh.. don't those things blow up

(Just kidding):spam::spam::spam::givebeer::greenchainsaw:

As I've said before, it depends on how much you use the chainsaw and what it will be used for. In my case I rarely use my saw(s) and since I'm 66 years old I don't go at it very hard. I'd prefer my Poulan or Homelite Super 2 to about any new saw for what I do and they're super dependable and cheap! Most people prefer a new saw and so I'd take anything that wasn't made in China.

This looks to be the same as the efco, but for a little less money. However if you end up having to buy a better bar and chain it might all come out even

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

I don't think that's the same as any Efco currently on the market. My guess is that it's about the same as a John Deere CS40. I could probably ship my CS-36, still new in box, for about $50 less, but it would be as heavy and less powerful than the 39cc.

I'd still go with a pro construction saw over the little Efco or Husky.

Last edited:
I thought the Ryobi that Brad ported beat the 3800 that Brad ported?

Maybe that was with Brad's port work. I talked with the two guys that were running the redmax 3800 I was talking about at the winter gtg and it was not ported by Brad. From what I understood it was ported by someone with a lot more experience and know how on the woods porting and his gains were far more then the 15% that Brad got out of his 3800. :rock::cool:

Per blsnelling's you tube video of his 3800 he ported Redmax G3800AVS Ported 13.6% faster than stock. Doesn't bog near as easily.

The one 3800 I watched at the gtg ported by someone unknown to me wasnt going to bog in the wood with the semi chisel chain it was running.

Last edited:
Here is the video blsnelling posted of the gtg. The grey saw is the ryobi redmax 400 and the red saw was the redmax 3800. Both saws ran great imo. Going by specification the lighter saw is the 3800 by almost a pound empty power heads. The ryobi redmax and redmax 3800 beat the woods ported 200 rear handle saw pretty easily.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cC5P0FXJ10c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cC5P0FXJ10c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back