smallest saw vs. biggest tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4-5 foot Willow

I took a huge old Willow tree down in my front yard with a 50cc Craftsman with an 18 inch bar, and a 36cc Poulan with a 18 inch bc. I loved that old tree, and it made the yard beautiful, but it got so old and rotten that it had to come down. Worked for a couple of hours to get it down. The wife was worried that it would hit the house, but I told her it would go another direction. That was toward the stone bbq, and she was worried that it would hit that, so I pounded a small stake in the ground and told her this is as far as it will go,and where it will land, and I was RIGHT!!! Probably more luck than skill. It took me the rest of the week to clean that thing up. Worst wood I ever worked with for dulling a chain. Wish that I had the saws then that I have acquired since joining AS. JR

Hey Metals 406

Love that video in your sig. Where did you find it, I'd like to see the full size version. JR

"You must cut down the biggest tree in the forest, with a herring"-

Monty Python

Best movie EVER!

King of Swamp Castle: We live in a bloody swamp. We need all the land we can get.
Prince Herbert: But I don't like her.
King of Swamp Castle: Don't like her? What's wrong with her? She's beautiful, she's rich, she's got huge... tracts of land.

I dropped a 30" hemlock with my old 020T and a 12" bar. Took some creative cutting to get the saw in there and cut the middle thats for sure. Could have done it in 1/2 the time with my 460 or 660 but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
A few months ago I took a job to remove a HUGE Beech tree downed in a storm. Since most of it was already on the ground, I started out limbing it with my Echo CS-360T. It did so well that I just kept on cutting, and cutting, and cutting.

I finally gave up when I had all the limbs but off and cut up, and had reached the main trunk, which was apprx 24-26" in diameter. I pulled out the 480CD and finished up the job. The 262XP and 268XP got a rest that day, and the little Echo still hasn't developed a "death rattle"!......Cliff

I pruned my wife's rose bushes with an 066 36". She'd been nagging me and nagging me and then nagging me some more to prune the damn rose bushes. So I did. I haven't had to prune any rose bushes since. :clap:

Last edited:
I took down a 3' maple that had been hit by lightning with my 16" Husky 136. I had to take the base out in pieces, but it's gone. That kicked my butt, and I vowed to not go through that again, so I picked up a 20" 290. Good deal on Fleabay, even.

Back