smallest saw vs. biggest tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jra1100

jra1100

Addicted to ArboristSite
4-5 foot Willow

I took a huge old Willow tree down in my front yard with a 50cc Craftsman with an 18 inch bar, and a 36cc Poulan with a 18 inch bc. I loved that old tree, and it made the yard beautiful, but it got so old and rotten that it had to come down. Worked for a couple of hours to get it down. The wife was worried that it would hit the house, but I told her it would go another direction. That was toward the stone bbq, and she was worried that it would hit that, so I pounded a small stake in the ground and told her this is as far as it will go,and where it will land, and I was RIGHT!!! Probably more luck than skill. It took me the rest of the week to clean that thing up. Worst wood I ever worked with for dulling a chain. Wish that I had the saws then that I have acquired since joining AS. JR

Metals406

Metals406

Granfodder Runningsaw
"You must cut down the biggest tree in the forest, with a herring"-

Monty Python

Best movie EVER!

King of Swamp Castle: We live in a bloody swamp. We need all the land we can get.
Prince Herbert: But I don't like her.
King of Swamp Castle: Don't like her? What's wrong with her? She's beautiful, she's rich, she's got huge... tracts of land.

chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

ArboristSite Operative
I dropped a 30" hemlock with my old 020T and a 12" bar. Took some creative cutting to get the saw in there and cut the middle thats for sure. Could have done it in 1/2 the time with my 460 or 660 but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
Cliff R

Cliff R

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
A few months ago I took a job to remove a HUGE Beech tree downed in a storm. Since most of it was already on the ground, I started out limbing it with my Echo CS-360T. It did so well that I just kept on cutting, and cutting, and cutting.

I finally gave up when I had all the limbs but off and cut up, and had reached the main trunk, which was apprx 24-26" in diameter. I pulled out the 480CD and finished up the job. The 262XP and 268XP got a rest that day, and the little Echo still hasn't developed a "death rattle"!......Cliff

skipdog9

skipdog9

ArboristSite Lurker
I took down a 3' maple that had been hit by lightning with my 16" Husky 136. I had to take the base out in pieces, but it's gone. That kicked my butt, and I vowed to not go through that again, so I picked up a 20" 290. Good deal on Fleabay, even.

Latest posts