Snake ID Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not many . Don’t know why but I haven’t seen or heard any in a while . Use to hear them at night after a kill a couple times a week . Several large black bears though almost hit one last weekend with my 68
You are lucky you do not have them. We are totally overrun with them. They are even in the towns. They have killed all the fox and rabbits. They will will kill fawns and even adult deer under the right circumstance and yes I have seen it. They kill small dogs and cats. They will kill sheep instantly. They will kill calves and sometimes cows under the right conditions.

As for bears they are not a native species here but every winter some hapless one ends up down here. They are looked upon as a novelty and harmless.

The cougars are here and they are a huge threat for the future.

Al
Not according to my video..... :) actually in many cases that is true
Always exceptions Bill , for the most part we dont see half the wild life around us.
I was in the mountains a couple of years ago with a Ranger and we rounded a switchback on the trail and about 50yds in front of us was a big black bear with 2 cubs . I immediately stopped and had to grab the back of the young Rangers shirt to stop him! When I asked why he just kept on trotting along he said" my brain was telling me that was a big stump!" We slowly backed away and the 3 bears took off .

When hiking or going into bear country always take someone with you that you can outrun and plan on getting a head start if you see a Bear or Cougar.

Tell the person with you not to run and stay calm before you go into the area.

Now about snakes.
For rattlers I usually let the other people go first. Act like you do not know which direction to take in rattler country and the others will lead the way.

I do carry the latest Sawyer syringe snake bite kit when Turkey/mushroom hunting. I tell others that I carry the kit only for myself, not for them because I'm the guide and cannot be sacrificed.

When hiking or going into bear country always take someone with you that you can outrun and plan on getting a head start if you see a Bear or Cougar.

Tell the person with you not to run and stay calm before you go into the area.

Now about snakes.
For rattlers I usually let the other people go first. Act like you do not know which direction to take in rattler country and the others will lead the way.

I do carry the latest Sawyer syringe snake bite kit when Turkey/mushroom hunting. I tell others that I carry the kit only for myself, not for them because I'm the guide and cannot be sacrificed.

Those Eastern OK/Western AR forests and hills are beautiful, but remind me never to go into the woods with you!

Hello,

I'm not sure if you still want to know what kind of snake that is.

It is a plain bellied water snake.

I tried to read through all of the replies, but could only get through a couple pages of every possible snake related tangent, so I gave up and skipped to the end.

it is or was definitely not venomous. I read that this species spends a surprising amount of time on land for a water snake.

you can look up the species name to verify the ID, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. I'm a herpetologist, and while I live in VA and am not familiar with this particular species, I'm pretty good with snake ID.
Thanks. I gave up on the thread cuz as with many of them they kinda get out of hand. Thanks again.

Nice looking snake. I am from the Interior of BC, ( think North Central Washington State) and we had an abundance of rattle snakes. My friends and I used to spend the majority of the summer camping, and the snakes were never a problem for us.
The first time I saw a king snake in the wild, it really gave me a start because of its size, it was over 6 ft long.
Largest rattlesnake I have ever seen, was in 1972 in Texas, Southwest of San Antonio. The girth was approximately 4 inches. the largest rattlesnake,
In Frier TX, they used to have an annual rattlesnake jamboree. I have never seen so many snakes at one time.

Her is a thought for all to ponder.

How many folks were killed in the US by a gun in the last 5 years?
How many folks were killed in the US by a snake in the last 5 years?

Think about it :)

Sounds anti gun to me?
I must be missing the point.
The furthest from anti-gun.

Just ponder it ........

.............One is easy to answer the other is up for debate

I'm not even gonna bother to look up statistics without telling you gun related fatalities take the cake compared to snake bite victims.

I'm sure there is a spin here I'm not seeing.

I'm not even gonna bother to look up statistics without telling you gun related fatalities take the cake compared to snake bite victims.

I'm sure there is a spin here I'm not seeing.
There is zero spin nor statistics needed. All that is needed is common sense.

I suppose I'll take a stab. # of gun related deaths - tens of thousands per year. # of snake bite fatalities - less than 100 for sure. Probably a lot less.

Que the argument that guns don't kill people. I'm still struggling to make a connection.

I suppose I'll take a stab. # of gun related deaths - tens of thousands per year. # of snake bite fatalities - less than 100 for sure. Probably a lot less.

Que the argument that guns don't kill people. I'm still struggling to make a connection.
Thanks for taking a stab at it but hat I said was..................

.............One is easy to answer the other is up for debate
The answer is ZERO, not a single person in the United sates was killed by a gun in the last 5 years or ever. There have been folks killed by snakes.

Video and news story

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ddler-victims-mother-is-released-from-prison/
Video and news story. Note the owner says it was a vicious snake, a crazy python. Now two boys are dead

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ter-python-escapes-in-campbellton-n-b-reports
Video and news story

https://nypost.com/2022/11/25/python-bites-and-drags-5-year-old-australian-boy-into-pool/
This one is obviously done for humor but not funny.

Thanks for taking a stab at it but hat I said was..................

The answer is ZERO, not a single person in the United sates was killed by a gun in the last 5 years or ever. There have been folks killed by snakes.

Video and news story

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ddler-victims-mother-is-released-from-prison/
Video and news story. Note the owner says it was a vicious snake, a crazy python. Now two boys are dead

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ter-python-escapes-in-campbellton-n-b-reports
Video and news story

https://nypost.com/2022/11/25/python-bites-and-drags-5-year-old-australian-boy-into-pool/
This one is obviously done for humor but not funny.

Now how many kids were killed by Ratsnakes? To keep a snake capable of killing a kid in the same house might be stupid.

Latest posts

Back