Snake ID Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those Eastern OK/Western AR forests and hills are beautiful, but remind me never to go into the woods with you!
I’ll go with him! Just make sure you got a little .22 pocket pistol and when you see the bears, cougars and other nasties just pop him in the knee and briskly walk away!🤣 Rattlesnakes is different, just don’t follow anyone else’s path, make your own path, the second guy always gets bit😁 That’s what the old chief on the survey crew always told us.

I've noticed that if you keep a rattler for a pet, sometimes they do not like to be petted.
Sometimes they will tell you, sometimes they MAY not. They will even bite the hand that feeds them SOMETIMES.

Now I have some guns that have never attack or bit me.
I can communicate with and understand them.

I also have some #2 lead pencils. I've noticed that SOME pencils sometimes misspell words.
Them pencils that misspell words should not be sold.
Spoons also made Rosie O'Donnel fat. (so she says)

Summary: Little bit of common sense is a good thing to have and use.
I've noticed that good old common sense is not taught in schools and colleges.

Hello,

I'm not sure if you still want to know what kind of snake that is.

It is a plain bellied water snake.

I tried to read through all of the replies, but could only get through a couple pages of every possible snake related tangent, so I gave up and skipped to the end.

it is or was definitely not venomous. I read that this species spends a surprising amount of time on land for a water snake.

you can look up the species name to verify the ID, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. I'm a herpetologist, and while I live in VA and am not familiar with this particular species, I'm pretty good with snake ID.

That was my conclusion, but I claim no specialized training as a herpetologist. I'm pretty good at internet, though, and I've been around a LOT of snakes. I don't advocate ever killing them, except perhaps with an overpopulation of venomous snakes in a populated area.

Keep in mind Bill G, that in India, you would probably be run out of town for killing a king cobra. In that part of the world, they revere the benefits provided by the snakes.

It is not the danger aspect it is the fact that a snake does not play any valuable role in nature. I would love to have a respectful debate on what value they bring. Although not by textbook definition I still see them as vermin and need dispatched just like a coyote.
That's just plain ignorance, sorry, Bill.🙄

That was my conclusion, but I claim no specialized training as a herpetologist. I'm pretty good at internet, though, and I've been around a LOT of snakes. I don't advocate ever killing them, except perhaps with an overpopulation of venomous snakes in a populated area.

Keep in mind Bill G, that in India, you would probably be run out of town for killing a king cobra. In that part of the world, they revere the benefits provided by the snakes.
Well good thing I don't plan on going to India. You been there?

Yes, might have got your seeds
There was a guy out hunting one day and was bitten in the scrotum by a big timber rattler. His friend called a doctor and asked what to do. The doctor said to suck the poison out. When he asked his friend what the doctor said, his friend said, Your going to die! An oldie but goody. OT :cool:

Not many . Don’t know why but I haven’t seen or heard any in a while . Use to hear them at night after a kill a couple times a week . Several large black bears though almost hit one last weekend with my 68
Coyotes are nomads. They move with the food supply. Generally, the only time they stay in one location is during breeding season. Here in KY we are ate up with them. They came to KY from Indiana in numbers when the Ohio River froze over back in the 80s. WE will never eradicate them. They are here to stay. All we can do is try to keep their numbers in check. Very cunning and a very smart predator. As BillG has said, they will eat anything under the right circumstances. Especially if running in a pack.
I trap them when they are on my farm. Snares preferably, as ground sets are just too difficult to get a yote to come to the lure. Nuff said. OT :cool:

Her is a thought for all to ponder.

How many folks were killed in the US by a gun in the last 5 years?
How many folks were killed in the US by a snake in the last 5 years?

Think about it :)
I have to ask. Why the H do you use an analogy that will only create a fire storm! Talk about apples and oranges or bananas and grapefruits. You could have used, Car, Bus, Alligator. But no, you had to use GUN. jmho OT :cool:

I have to ask. Why the H do you use an analogy that will only create a fire storm! Talk about apples and oranges or bananas and grapefruits. You could have used, Car, Bus, Alligator. But no, you had to use GUN. jmho OT :cool:
Awe heck why not. So how folks were killed by a car in the last 5 years

It's a barn, so the snake is controlling the rodents very well.
oic. well, that is one thing mentioned about why snakes are good for the environment. one just has to be careful around them. they can and will hurt, and are faster than a blink of an eye!

key: never get surprised or loose the upper hand!

close counts, too! just avoid bites at all costs. especially the fun ones like copper head, water m or r.snakes!!

Back