Snowed in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Expecting 10" to 13" of snow next 24 hrs. Highs in the teens and gusty winds. Probably not much for some of you guys but for us it's a major occurrence. I'm really glad I've got 4-5 cords of seasoned wood and a nice warm house. Thanks to this site for all the info and entertainment.:clap:

I'm about 100 miles north of you and we're supposed to get 11 to 12 inches of snow and 40-50 mph winds the next day. I will be bringing wood from the woodshed to the house tomorrow morning so I won't have to do it during the blizzard.

Lay in a good stock of chow and water, make sure the prescriptions are all filled, check out some good books at the Library, remember where ya put the coleman latern mantles, and settle in.

Let the other fools spas out and go ditch diving.;)

Hunker down, and have fun!
(And remember to stash enough water to flush the commode;))

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Lay in a good stock of chow and water, make sure the prescriptions are all filled, check out some good books at the Library, remember where ya put the coleman latern mantles, and settle in.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yep. Grab a good supply of candles as well, and bring some extra wood into the house just in case.

Charge up anything that you might need if the power goes out (cell phone, etc) and have a good look around for anything that might get buried under the snow that you don't want buried.

After that it is pretty much time to sit back and enjoy your wood heat, knowing that as bad as the weather is outside you are all set in terms of waiting it out.

:cheers:

have a good look around for anything that might get buried under the snow that you don't want buried.

haha
two years ago we had a bad blizzard in the beginning of november. Two days prior I had to use a bunch of garden hose to make some cement. I laid the hoses out on a slope in the yard so they would drain and then i was going to put them up for the winter. Well i got busy and the hoses got snowed on and the lower end ended up being buried under about 4 feet of snow. Anyway, long story short, I had to look at half of five hoses all winter long in my yard since I couldnt get them out:censored:

Glad we are finally getting some snow here as we have had less than an inch so far this year and the frost is really getting into the ground because of it, wont be long and we'll be suffering from frozen water mains and busted pipes!!

haha
two years ago we had a bad blizzard in the beginning of november. Two days prior I had to use a bunch of garden hose to make some cement. I laid the hoses out on a slope in the yard so they would drain and then i was going to put them up for the winter. Well i got busy and the hoses got snowed on and the lower end ended up being buried under about 4 feet of snow. Anyway, long story short, I had to look at half of five hoses all winter long in my yard since I couldnt get them out:censored:

lol ... it's not fun trying to find something under the snow, or finding it with a plow. :confused:

It is -32C (-27F) and no snow in the forecast for a week (or so they say).

Winter trails will be nice and frozen so I hope to be out cutting firewood this weekend. :clap:

i can't wait to see how my truck handles the snow

Issued by The National Weather Service
Marquette, MI
3:11 am CST, Tue., Dec. 8, 2009

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM EST /6 PM CST/ THIS EVENING TO 1 AM EST /MIDNIGHT CST/ THURSDAY.

* WIDESPREAD SNOW WILL MOVE INTO UPPER MICHIGAN THIS EVENING AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY LATE TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL BEGIN TO TAPER OFF LATE WEDNESDAY. IN ADDITION... STRONG WINDS WILL CREATE SIGNIFICANT BLOWING SNOW WEDNESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING. THE STRONG NORTH WINDS WILL ALSO PRODUCE HEAVY LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS DOWNWIND FROM LAKE SUPERIOR THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 15 INCHES OR MORE ARE POSSIBLE... GREATEST OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN NEAR LAKE SUPERIOR.

* THE MAIN IMPACT WILL BE SNOW COVERED ROADS AND BLOWING SNOW REDUCING VISIBILITY TO NEAR ONE QUARTER MILE IN OPEN AREAS... ESPECIALLY NEAR LAKE SUPERIOR DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING. THIS MAY RESULT IN THE CLOSURE OF M-28 BETWEEN HARVEY AND MUNISING DURING THE DAY WEDNESDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... ALONG WITH WIDESPREAD BLOWING SNOW... ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

linky

Glad we are finally getting some snow here as we have had less than an inch so far this year and the frost is really getting into the ground because of it, wont be long and we'll be suffering from frozen water mains and busted pipes!!

we've already got about 8-12 inches of frost in the ground, which is quite a bit for this time of the year.

Yes, this storm is headed for us too! They "say" we could end up with 20-30" :cry::cry:by Friday!! With 40 mph winds, we will see! Won't be getting to any wood again this weekend. Oh well, like mentioned above, stay off the roads because there are bad drivers out there:dizzy:. My wife's car was supposed to get new tires yesterday, only hope they come in before tomarrow!

The snow is just now starting here, 8"-12" coming they say in the next 24 hours, then below zero temps. I have enough wood in my basement to last until February. Looks like time to fire up the snowmobiles.

When I was little alot of our friends had snowmobiles kinda faded away. Sure would be fun now though.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Blasphemy! Fire up the old wood hauler, throw the Sorels, a good hat, and warm gloves in just in case, and go find a damsel in distress to rescue. Either that or just head for the most drift prone road around and blast some drifts. Japanese kids did NOT invent drifting!

Blasphemy! Fire up the old wood hauler, throw the Sorels, a good hat, and warm gloves in just in case, and go find a damsel in distress to rescue. Either that or just head for the most drift prone road around and blast some drifts. Japanese kids did NOT invent drifting!

LOL!!!!

Steve, in these parts we call it "Ditch fishing".

All them cute little Jap cars and SUV's flock through here on thier way from Chitcago to the Ski resorts, and it seems they don't teach winter driving in the burbs, so a good many of 'em end up in the median or off the secondary roads in the ditches.

Toss a chain and a jerk strap in the bed, and two guys can work half the county easily, pulling the Fips out for 30-50 bucks a pop. Our two wrecker services are just too busy when the FIP's flock like that diring a storm.

One problem though... it's slightly illegal, and unless there's life or limb in danger from the severity of the storm, our Troopers frown on such things.
If it's a bad storm though, some things just gotta get done.;)

LOL!!
Just gotta remember those little Jap cars don't really have solid tow points or they go down the road crooked after a good snatch. :)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I just got done cutting splitting and stacking a FULL pickup load of Elm and Hard Maple as the wind and snow started to kick up. I say let it come! My immediate burn pile is good for 3 days and I even managed to stash almost a face cord off this load. When I was out in the woods I spied my next objective too. It's a 70 foot long 18"-24" diameter monster Red Oak that's already down and another right next to it about half its size. The only problem is it's down in a pretty steep hollow so I'll have to cut it into 10' chunks and skid it up the hill before I can work it into firewood.

The weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we’ve no place to go
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow !

Latest posts

Back