Snowed in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad we are finally getting some snow here as we have had less than an inch so far this year and the frost is really getting into the ground because of it, wont be long and we'll be suffering from frozen water mains and busted pipes!!

pipes arent 6 foot deep??? even here in iowa--we bury deep!!

I've got 2 years worth split and stacked in the barn, plenty of water, chow, and ammo. Had surgery this AM (see Chainsaw Elbow thread) so the gal and I are set to weather this one in a warm safe house out here in Hooterville. Forecasters are saying anywhere between 7-15 inches! Close the roads, kill the power, let 'er rip, I don't care, let it snow!

PS
I might be shade low on Copenhagen though. :mad:

And typing with one hand is painfully SLOW! :cry:

anamosa?? aint far from me ,ya buzzard--never seen your posts till now!!

12" on the ground now, forecasters say another 4" coming. The wind is starting to pick up a bit so it will be drifting soon. High tomorrow of 11 with 35-45 mph wind.

Filled the wood cribs and treated the diesel fuel in the tractor and Bobcat. Parked the Bobcat in the shop tonight so the wood stove will keep it nice and warm until morning when it will be cleaning the driveway. The cat is in the shop, dog is on the porch, wife is in bed and as of yesterday at 5 pm all of the crop is in the bins.

You guys complaining about a lack of deer, how many 'ya want? You can't sling a dead cat in any direction without hitting at least 7 here in Iowa. A friend stopped by today with 5 bucks in his pickup. He and his brother shot them this morning in less than 2 hours. 1 six point, 2 10 point, 1 12 point and a huge 16 point that spans 22 inches. I have one buck tag and one doe tag to fill and will get them as soon as I'm done cleaning up after this storm.
in your avatar--place what town you be from,please--that way us iwejuns know where one another is at--thanks

dingeryote - might make a snoose run late in the day, I'm just ready to ice this rascal as it's startin' to kick up it's heels a little. My significant other said "no beer" last night, but I'm gonna' give her a go tonight! I love this weather 'cause I can park a 12 pack just outside the fireplace room door it keeps it "just right"! As far as CAD, I REALLY want a 660, notice I didn't say NEED, just want, and there's one sittin' at the local dealer....might have to go take a "look" at it tomorrow.;)

olyman-what part of the this fine state are you from? I'm a newbie here but really enjoy it. We live NW of the big city of Morley.

Coast of Maine we were cruising along nicely until last week and instant winter. We got about a 10-12" dump of wet snow then it got cold.
Today it's howling out there. about 18 degrees but windy (gusts to 60mph they say for later tonight). Snowing to beat the band at the moment but at least the grounds allot harder than it was last week for plowing purposes. Just ventured out to fire up Tonto my old plow truck and warm him up. What with the high winds, I've got 20gals fresh water stashed. The old Glenwood cookstove in the kitchen comes in mighty handy as do the alladin oil lamps and a good book or a deck of cards. :cheers:

No power that really sucks hope you get it back soon. Snow, cold , winds all very doable, but no power that stinks out loud!. Good luck to ya. Scott

we had our first real snow today, approx. 10cm

drive.JPG

John

BAH!!!!

Just some heavy breeze and light lake effect slop comin' down still. Maybe 3 Inches so far.
Dadgum lake is keeping things warm like a big hot water bottle.

Inland a bit they are getting some snow though, and the media is in "Hypercrisisspasoutrunincirclesscreamingandcrying" mode.
Lots of stuff closing for the day,sending kids home from activities..

The lake is churned up though! I wish I was younger and still into sailboarding!
The chop is nice and regular and some good launches could be had!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Just made a one armed run into town for some snuff. Took the ol' mountain goat ('91 Cherokee) and got along just fine. I love this weather! Snowin' sideways and nary a soul on the road. We got 10-12" on the flat and it's still snowing hard and blowing. We still have power and the stoves got a nice blue and orange roll goin' in the glass. Stoke 'em up tonight boys and enjoy the warmth of wood heat!

BAH!!!!

Just some heavy breeze and light lake effect slop comin' down still. Maybe 3 Inches so far.
Dadgum lake is keeping things warm like a big hot water bottle.

Inland a bit they are getting some snow though, and the media is in "Hypercrisisspasoutrunincirclesscreamingandcrying" mode.
Lots of stuff closing for the day,sending kids home from activities..

The lake is churned up though! I wish I was younger and still into sailboarding!
The chop is nice and regular and some good launches could be had!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ya I had some big waves on the lake in front of my house too, The Big Lake is pretty ornery today and tonight. 50 MPH gusts make for good serfen waves.....After a while the constant noise can drive one nutz.:)

marshalltown here, snowed in,our road is 5ft deep 1/3 of a mile to the black top. Wind died down house went from 65 degrees to 75 real fast so much nicer in here now

marshalltown here, snowed in,our road is 5ft deep 1/3 of a mile to the black top. Wind died down house went from 65 degrees to 75 real fast so much nicer in here now

Williamsburg here, Couldn't get out this a.m. to get to work. I was prepared though. Full can of Copenhagen, Fresh 12 of Nat. Light. It was actually a fun day got alot done inside. Suppose to be -5 tonight with a high of 4 tomorrow. I loaded the OWB a little bit ago and got into the locust stash :cheers:

Fizzled out here, got a bit over 6", pretty good drifts though.

Crappy cell pic through the windshield on the county road this morning. The "waves" were about bumper-high, getting a few blasts of snow on the windshield.

5 1/2 years working 62 miles one way, and haven't taken a snow day yet, gonna have to do it soon or they'll start depending on me :D

attachment.php

We are finally back online! Power went out Saturday during a wind storm. On Sunday night/ Monday morning we got 24" of snow. Power came back last night and the snow plows finally arrived today. It barely fazed us, I guess we have come a long way since we moved up here ten years ago. Our only source of heat is the wood stove, so no change there. Our generator kept the refrigerator/freezer running and allowed us to tune in the news every evening. The snow kept me busy plowing and blowing snow and the kids sledding the back slope. The past few days have flown by!
Dok

We are finally back online! Power went out Saturday during a wind storm. On Sunday night/ Monday morning we got 24" of snow. Power came back last night and the snow plows finally arrived today. It barely fazed us, I guess we have come a long way since we moved up here ten years ago. Our only source of heat is the wood stove, so no change there. Our generator kept the refrigerator/freezer running and allowed us to tune in the news every evening. The snow kept me busy plowing and blowing snow and the kids sledding the back slope. The past few days have flown by!
Dok

:clap::clap: sounds like good stuff there!!! bet the time did fly by.

Latest posts

Back