Snowmobile Saw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
titanium

titanium

ArboristSite Lurker
I was planning on building a saw from a 3 cyl rotax snowmobile.This is just a hobby project and it won't be raced.I have all the snowmobile parts at a reasonable price,and have been racing modified snowmobiles for many years.My question is how to attach the drive sprocket to the crank.On a sled the ignition and flywheel is on the same side as the chain bar for the saw.Do you reverse the crank and put the ignition on the other side?All the pictures I have seen of hot saws look like the chain is running real close to the side of the cylinder.If you would bolt the sprocket to the flywheel it would be offset by about 2 inches.Any help would be much appreciated.

troutfisher

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
My saws are Dirt Bike/ATV motors, I've never built a sled saw. Do a Google Image search for "hotsaw", you'll find lots of pics. This looks like a rotax motor, I see the black power valve in the front. Is that the ignition trigger on the left side of the crank? You'll probably recognise snowmobile parts that I wouldn't.............

attachment.php

Nitroman

Nitroman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think a Mach Z motor is going to require you to be built like Hulk Hogan or similarly. If it weighs as much as my XCR-800 motors, and without pipes too.

I do know on the Polaris 800 motor, the mounts (screw holes), for the ignition stator are on the MAG side of the motor, and the casting is slightly different on that side too, so putting the sprocket on the PTO side would be infinitely easier. I don't know the set-up on a Bombardier.

titanium

titanium

ArboristSite Lurker
Thanks for the photo I can't really tell what it is though.I thought because lots of guys use rotax hot saws a sled engine would be good to use.I think a bike engine would probably be easier though.

titanium

titanium

ArboristSite Lurker
Nitroman,the rotax is setup the same as a Polaris,I was thinking of turning the crank around and redoing the case so the mag and pto would be opposite of a sled.

troutfisher

troutfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think the sled builds are harder, but there's more displacement to be had. 300-400cc's is common. Half of a 600 Rotax twin, half of a 800 arctic cat twin, ect. I have a Yamaha 500 twin here, I just haven't come up with a plan yet. That would make a 250 single, but I'll bet that a 250 motocross bike will make a lot more power. I just happen to have a RM250 here too.

Latest posts