so i call about a free firewood add.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theres nothing i can do with what i have now. its all HUGE trunk, im gonna keep my eye out for something. maybe rent one if i can get a big enough bar. it would prolly be worth it.

Is your sister going to help you again? I can't help but think that it would be a great opportunity for pics! :monkey:

... I'm just teasing ya - no offense meant! :cheers:

I myself am trying to learn & very cash poor but I want to do an addition to my house & I am planning to cut some of my biggest trees I probably have 20+ trees in my back yard 4 to 5 feet across a couple maybe close to 6 feet & just a guess 75 feet up to first limbs..

biggest problems the biggest are at bottom of cliff behind house & it is a hard hike when not carrying anything. too steep for a tractor.

have several hundred big trees 2 or so feet across from front yard to very back of my yard.

so I am following alot of threads but so far my biggest saws are a homelite super XL & a husky 268/272 & a stihl 026 with an older 70cc mack thrown in.

I may have to take some pics???? but I wont do anything untill I can purchase all equipment needed. put a couple junk cars for sale to help with purchasing a mill but will have to find as good a powerhead as I can afford.. & based on size of my trees will probably need a big saw mill I dont think even a 48" would be good enough for some.. ouch$$$$$

later,
Randy

:) the more i think about it the more im convinced i must have that tree. seriously what do i need to do it? would a 2171 do it or do i need bigger? i do have a 32" bar and 1 skip chain from my 372. thats gotta be a TON of wood when i get it split. plus the videos alone would be great

You can do it with the saw you have. Just start at the but end and cut straight down like a normal cut. Then rip the wood across the other direction. Now you have a 20" block. Just keep doing that. It works. Might be a bit slow but it will keep you from spend 1k on a saw. Oh by the way I have a MS880. Go buy one they an be a lot of fun. I have made a little money just blocking wood for people who dont have a bigger saw. Or you could place an ad on craigslist looking for someone with a big saw. Just pay them $100 to block it for you.

Scott

i didnt give blocking it much thought. i was kinda ion awe of the thing to be honest lol. i would think it would take quite a while, but hey id prolly have a blast, i never get tired of running the saw. i think ill need to sharpen my chains before i go tackle that badboy.

I just cut up a 5 ft diameter white oak with my 460 and a full comp 28" bar. No biggie, just take your time. My 361 (b4 I traded up to the 460) also went through the trunk with a 20" bar no problem. The middle and bottom had to be cut out with a bigger bar though.

You will need a pevey though, they are going to be heavy!!!

old guy answers the phone he goes its oak all big tree no brush or little sh*t. he goes your gonna need a big saw i said i got it covered no problem. so hes talkin to my dad since i dont know directions in the city. anyway he tells my dad theres like 3 cord of wood in one tree. anyway he hangs up and my dads like yeah right theres no trees that big in the city hes prolly talkin about one like this (points to a maybe 2ft across oak. after a while he convinces me thats about as big as the tree can be.

so today after work i head down there IT WAS THE BIGGEST TREE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!!! i couldnt believe it i wish i had my camera. i took some with my phone but i dont have the cable to hook it to the computer. im talkin HUGE i bet it was 4ft across no lie. i put my foot in one pic of the stump for scale and my 11 1/2 boot looked like a friggin baby shoe. you NEED a $1000 chainsaw to cut this badboy. i still got the 32" bar from when i had my 372 and even if i still had the 372 i wouldnt even have bothered to take it outta the truck!
This is the greatest time to go get a 395XPG and able to justify it to your wife.

is it down ?

if not is it a staright drop? gonna be interesting in the city.if it's an easy drop i'd come down and do it for ya with the 395.

i think tomorrow i might go try and take some blocks outta that badboy. i sharpened all my chains on my dads machine. picked up some more bar oil at ts. just need to grab a couple gallons of 93 and well see if i can get the best of that thing. at this point ive kinda convinced myself i have to cut it up...i just have to.

i thought theres no way theres gonna be a tree that big where he lived. youd have to know the area. my dad had me convinced he was old and he must have meant 4ft around not across lol. im gonna call him tonight and tell him about it lol. it was 2 miles from my work so it was worth the ride just to see it. i just took my 455 lol. well the more i think about it if i had the 372 id give it a go just to say i did it lol.

i dunno i wish i had some pics to show you it was humbling standing near a trunk that huge. there wasnt much length to it 12ft maybe. it was 2 pieces but man was it huge. i can see the bar smoking already from that thing.

If you had your 372 you would be surpised how fast you could cut and quarter that sucker up. I used an 044 for years with a 32 and cut that size timber quite a bit, big trunks are work but make the most firewood

I've also only got a 455 and I wish you'd go get that tree and prove that it's the sawyer and not the saw that determines the size of the timber you can handle. I've dealt with a few trunks in the 45" - 50" dia. range this season and as long as I kept my chains sharp and didn't get in a hurry the saw did all all that I asked of it. A 4ft tree is going to take a while (read:forever) with our little saw but a part of your manhood's gonna die if you walk away from the challenge.

You can doo it!

I don't think I'm the only one whose looking forward to pictures of that little tiny saw dismataling that giant tree.

Off Topic, but where are you located in Va. Beach ? I have in-laws that are just a couple blocks off General Booth Blvd.

Latest posts

Back