so it is true, not just a myth!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is it will be a sub type of maple, curly? birdseye? Of course if you go offshore there are a _lot_ of very expensive woods.

Black walnut rare? almost extinct? I have 6 that I planted 20 yeas ago and can find a 10 acre grove growing within 20 miles of me. Single trees from ancient to saplings are all over this area.

Yes, walnut is expensive _in the lumber yard_ but not outrageous. As some else said, it is the veneer quality logs that bring the premium.

Harry K

bet im no one

black locust- I concider it exotic, best ive gotten for walnut about 4, but there were two or three grades higher at the time.

And Ill just hellocopter that fine waulnut log all the way to china and get some really big bucks

Last edited:
We have a timberking 1220, and it's a good mill I don't have any other experience with other companies....

Thanks. I am pretty familiar with Timberking. They are made in Kansas City, and I sometimes haul them logs for use in their sales "demo's".

Several times, our logs were too big in diameter for their sawmills, and we had to bring the big Husqy in to rip the log in half. One time, even the 1/2 log was too heavy for their log lifter to pick up, and we had to quarter it. They were going to build a bigger unit some years back, but that plan fell apart, and they asked us to come split up the test log we gave them.

I like the automation of the bandmills, but I am afraid the saw bands are a bit expensive to keep up. Any thoughts on that ?

The answer is Eastern Red Cedar, some call it aromatic cedar. The stuff people line closets with. Kinda weird huh?? . we don't know why either it just out sells everything else two to one.

We have people like that here too! They call with a marginal load of
pine, expect you to clean up tops and send them a cut of the lumber sales! Right o bob checks in the mail, no way. I always tell them, I will cut and clean up for x you can sell your logs.

Where do you get that in Minnesota? Are you in northern MN or do you have it trucked in. I've always been curious about making wood products. i'd like to see your setup.

The answer is Eastern Red Cedar, some call it aromatic cedar. The stuff people line closets with. Kinda weird huh?? . we don't know why either it just out sells everything else two to one.

They pop up like weeds around here, but we don't often see them bigger than 8-10"

How big do they need to be before you can use them?

They pop up like weeds around here, but we don't often see them bigger than 8-10"

I've got a customer thats got several of them, I've never seen anything like it- 60' tall, I kid you not, and perfectly straight. They are beutiful though...still too bad she wont ask me to cut them down! Just kidding I wouldnt. Well maybe...

10" or better is best. We have cut up to 24" before. They do pop up like weeds, but they are fairly slow growing to a cuttable size.

Black walnut is a VERY RARE and almost exstinct tree which is sought by only the finest cabinet makers and wood workers, most likely worth more than gold. One twisted 2' diameter 10 ' piece will bring swarms of people bidding like it was the stock market. Make sure you clean up when you are done.

Jesus! I heat my house with it I have so much! I have a couple down right now. Make an offer.

you know, that was a joke

:laugh: :laugh: Got me good!
I still get that all the time from home owners. One guy made me cut up some big pieces. He went driving around to every mill he could find in the yellow pages with his PU truck full. He found someone upstate who supposedly gave him $75 for it but he must have driven 300 miles!

Edit: Oh yeah...Smith and Wesson pays top dollar!:monkey:

Last edited:
Someone mentioned black walnut as being very rare and worth a ton of money......

all i can say to that is :ices_rofl:

cant give it away, cant pay people to take it. :dizzy:

Latest posts

Back