soak chain in oil before use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
According to Oregon's web site you should soak your chains in oil before using them. Do you guys do that before you use a chain? I never have but I was thinking that if it increases chain life maybe i should.
Any thought?
Rob

I have tried this with chains that just came back from sharpening at the dealer...pretty messy. My BIL in Idaho told me to use 1/2 gal kerosene mixed with 8 ounces of bar oil. Have not tried it yet.

I've never done it with a new chain since they are usually somewhat oily right out of the package. If you were to take a used chain and leave it hanging on a hook for a few months and it got dried out and started to rust, then an oil bath for a few hours before use wouldn't hurt.

I read a post somewhere that the oily stuff was just a preservative and you should oil the chain before you use it. I did this with the last new chain and I think it stretched noticibly less than usual.

If I think the chain has been contaminated with dirt or filings I will throw it in a pan of kerosene, shake it around a bit, then blow it dry, mount it on the saw and oil it before use.

Does it help? I think so, but it would be hard to prove

I think the stuff on chains when you get em out of the package is a rust inhibitor or something like that. I just put the chain on the saw, let it idle and build a little oil up, and run it.

Skwerl, as I said, it was in a thread I read somewhere. It sounded possible, very low cost to try, so I tried it. I don't remember any specifics about what the stuff on a new chain was.

I tried it on a new 18" loop of chain and I have run at least 3 tanks of gas thru my 026 and I havent had to adjust the chain yet.

Try it your self and let us know what your results are

LM, What purpose does that serve? Most saws drive the oiler off the sprocket via worm gear, thusly at idle they pump no oil. Unless of course your saws spin the chain at idle.
-Ralph

With a new chain I'll point the bar at something clean and run the saw at part throttle until oil starts slinging off the end, then get cutting. Doesn't take long.

I like Oregon chain and yes I store all my chains in oil just like they recommend... What can it hurt, it is a little messy but who cares.

Could be like how WD-40 is a preservative, rust inhibitor but a lousy lubricant. I've started doing it again, mainly cause I want to get into the routine of taking the chain off to sharpen, clean saw, flip blade and all that. I've been sharpening on the saw and I have been leaving the chain on longer than I want. I'm going to start changing chains instead of sharpening on the saw. I just made up a chain vise til I can spring for the grinder I want. I'm also going to start bringing the saw home and cleaning it up in my heated shop so in the below zero mornings it has a head start to warming up. There's more advantages to the routine I've started that are too boring to relate.

Wash the Chain after sharpening

I read somewhere that chains should be brushed in kerosene or the equivalent after sharpening, to remove the abrasive particles of steel and grinding wheels created in the sharpening process. I'm curious; does anyone actually do this on the job?

Nevin

soak chain in oil

I make a hook on each end of a piece of stiff wire and and hook the chain on one end and hook the other end on the rim of a gallon container of oil, let it soak over night then take it out and place a funnel in the gallon of oil and hang the chain over it and let it drain for a day or so. The chain runs so much smother and quieter that I believe it can only help. My 2 cents. Tom

nhawlman said:
I read somewhere that chains should be brushed in kerosene or the equivalent after sharpening, to remove the abrasive particles of steel and grinding wheels created in the sharpening process. I'm curious; does anyone actually do this on the job?

Nevin
There is so much centrifugal force on a chain, along with oil being pumped from the inside out, that particles are immediately thrown from the chain. Not to mention, what you're suggesting may actually push the contaminants in further.

If a new chain will go for the first to cut wood under snow, soak it one night in oil (IMO can be any motor oil). If its life starts with cutting small wood and with other easy tasks, the soaking can be skipped.

I don't use motor oil or gallon containers. Just put the chain into about half an inch of bar oil in one of those crispy clear plastic trays that fresh food sometimes comes in from the supermarket. In the morning I fit the chain, pour the remaining oil into the saw and throw the plastic container in the trash.

Latest posts

Back